100 Greatest Harry Potter Moments

The best of the Boy Who Lived...includes spoilers!

Latest News

100

Comments

• elgar7

May 12th 2011, 9:08

Fantastic read, really brought back some great memories of the book, thank you :) One that I would have added was one of the best things about 'the Half Blood Prince' that never made it to the screen: Told in a flashback sequence between Dumbledore and Harry it's when Voldemort returns to Hogwarts to ask Dumbledore for the teaching post of 'defence against the dark arts' (his real reason for being there was to hide one of his horcruxes, Ravenclaw's lost Diadem in the room of requirement). Not only was it chilling to read, these two are just simply having a seething conversation in Dumbledore's office. It also brought about with it one of my favourite quotes from Voldemort, "Greatness inspires envy, envy engenders spite, spite spawns lies."

• SiMan

May 12th 2011, 13:11

I agree that Dumbledore's death in the book is one of the best moments, but they made a hash of it in th movie. There was no emotion in it. I watched it with someone who hadn't read the book and wasn't half as gut-wrenched as i had been when i read it.

• SiMan

May 12th 2011, 13:12

• ChrisWootton

May 12th 2011, 15:39

There's no emotion in any of the scenes in any of the movies.

• oliverhenry12

May 12th 2011, 21:35

What about when harry nearly swallows the snitch or when he gets the nimbus 3000

• oliverhenry12

May 12th 2011, 21:36

• dography

May 12th 2011, 23:13

...and I thought an 80s feature was unbeatable..! I love Potter but just cannot get gonzoBen to see the light... :( Someone give him a nudge...

• dography

May 12th 2011, 23:20

I didn't get very far before concluding that whoever compiled this probably hasn't read the books. On reflection I can only agree with ChrisWootton. I don't know what I was expecting but take comfort in the knowledge I'm not alone. Is there a totalbook.com in which I can take genuine interest?

• gwales

May 13th 2011, 9:40

@dography An odd thing to conclude, but I can assure you I have!

• Winky381

May 13th 2011, 10:42

"I was just sitting in the U-bend thinking about death." I love this list, clearly written by someone who's almost as obsessed with all things HP as I am.

• Winky381

May 13th 2011, 10:43

And Oliverhenry 12 - it's a nimbus 2000. Everyone knows that.

• Monkeynuts30

May 13th 2011, 11:58

umm, its called TotalFILM guys, not totalfilm-and-book. Given the name its implied they'll focus more on the movies than the books. Man, the obvious things people will b***h about... makes me want to become a hermit.

• katiethomas88

May 13th 2011, 15:39

Loved the list, would have liked to see The Silver Doe making it on there, one of my favorite moments, particularly when you realise what it represents! Also Lupin and Tonks dead bodies together in the great hall was another of my favorite (don't know if thats the right word for that one) moments. Great list though, made me smile!

• katiethomas88

May 13th 2011, 15:42

Also, can we have the 100 worst Potter moments next, bet a few would feature on both lists! The Ginny/Harry and Cho/Harry kiss would top my list for that, cringe!

• matty2392

May 13th 2011, 19:04

I remember when Harry Potter was embarrasing to like, but now I can't find many people that dont like it. Super excited for part 2, hopefully will epic

• juhiroddam

May 26th 2011, 7:04

Loved the article, but I don't think Dumbledore's death in the movie does justice to how Jo Rowling describes it in the book. Or even Sirius' death. But I love the fact that you guys made this. :) So so excited about Part 2!

• juhiroddam

May 26th 2011, 7:04

• celle

Oct 5th 2011, 4:50

It's a shame this list was compiled before DH2 was released. I wonder how scenes from that film would have factored into that list... - McGonagall's "Do your duty to our school!" - Watson's heartbreaking delivery of, "I'll go with you." - Courtyard Apocalypse - The Resurrection Stone