20 '80s TV Shows That Should Be Movies

Following The A-Team's retro lead...

Comments

• apo1978

Jul 28th 2010, 13:19

Ha, Terrahawks takes me back to my childhood. In fact, I've started re-watching them thanks to the interweb - for old times sakes. Zelda & Co. still scares the c**p outta me!

• tenstrings

Jul 28th 2010, 13:22

Don't forget the epic Tangerine Dream soundtrack for Street Hawk.

Jul 28th 2010, 13:26

I think they should remake Knightmare now the CGI is up to scratch, have Tobin Bell as Tresguard..ooh nasty. Some more to consider: Automan, Magnum PI, MASK, Ulyseses 31

• Seedorf

Jul 28th 2010, 15:21

Good call on Ulysses 31. I saw that as a kid in the 80's, recently watched it again on DVD. Still as great as I remember it. :D Would hard to turn into a film and not make it look like a quick trip home after being stranded in Olympus with no navigational information of where Earth is.

• pinkdegu

Jul 28th 2010, 18:56

Er, WHY has nobody mentioned Bananaman? Everytime he eats a banana, an amazing transformation occurs! And wasn't Round the Twist a 90's show? Unless only the Aussies got it in the 80s.

• MarkPowell

Jul 29th 2010, 8:56

@pinkdegu - thought about Bananaman long and hard, but I'd pretty much made the decision to stick to just one cartoon, as opening up an animated can of worms would've made it just too hard to pick 20! And yeah, season 1 of Round The Twist - which this list shows the intro to - was 1989, which is how it scraped in. It's quite possible we didn't get it syndicated until a couple of years later, but it was the same episodes. Later 90s seasons were largely re-cast, so if you remember these actors then you watched the season first released in the 80s. Good shouts everyone! Ulysses was effing AWESOME - although again, animated, plus lots of films have used Homer's Odyssey as their basis (not least O Brother and Big Fish)... I loved MASK so much, had a bunch of figures and vehicles in my toybox. Automan? Will have to investigate! Mark

• tazman

Jul 29th 2010, 19:02

Some more to add ... Tales of the Gold Monkey, Alien Nation, Beauty and the Beast, Greatest American Hero, Max Headroom, Something is Out There, MacGyver, Remington Steele, Hardcastle and McCormick, Hart to Hart, Hunter, Matt Houston ...

• tazman

Jul 29th 2010, 19:05

Quantum Leap : wasn't there a "rule" that Sam Beckett could only leap within his own lifetime with only the one exception in A Leap Between The States (American Civil War episode) ??

• higgins78

Aug 1st 2010, 16:20

While most on this list ranged from the decent to the average ALL were a product of their time. Airwolf was made into a movie under the heading Blue Thunder, The Mysterious Cities Of Gold would suffer in movie format as the arc of the story would need shortening.

• hawktheslayer

Aug 13th 2010, 14:39

Perfect Strangers with Ben Afleck & Matt Damon (doing the foreign one) directed by Kevin Smith...hilarious

• TheTingler

Aug 18th 2010, 7:43

@tazman: Yep, quite so, which is how they kept the costs down from having a different location, cast, and time period each week! I don't remember how they explained him being in the Civil War... wasn't it his great-grandfather or something? And ALF already has a movie.

• willow138

Aug 21st 2010, 3:29

@pinkdegu a Bananaman movie would be epic! I am surpeised they havn't already made a Baywatch film yet. With the Hoff enjoying fame all over again recently due to Americas Got Talent it would make sense to pitch it now whilst there is an audience for it. I remember that series of Round The Twist and the later ones. There was an episode where the cabbage in their garden patch came to life or was an alien or something, which terrified me as a child. lol. I wouldnt go near my nans garden for ages after that.

• willow138