20 Best Mockumentaries

Because fiction is stranger than fact...

Latest News

Comments

Jul 28th 2011, 11:04

I dont know if it counts, but The Troll Hunter looks really good

• MarkPowell

Jul 28th 2011, 11:56

@Hadouken76 It's REALLY good - well, as long as you're got a fairly high tolerance for silly - and in fact I had it on the list for ages, but then I remembered it's a 'found footage' one ("these are the tapes that were recovered.." etc etc.) Since there are so many of those, we felt it could pretty much be a genre on its own, and decided to avoid them here in favour of films that are framed as documentaries in themselves (ie. there's someone behind the camera as you watch). I'd definitely recommend Troll Hunter, though. Sort of The Host-meets-Where The Wild Things Are, if I can possibly get away with such a claim...

Jul 28th 2011, 17:07

Ahh Thanks Mark! Sound great its been compared to the likes of Monsters which I found okay but not as good as it was hyped.

• ChrisWootton

Jul 29th 2011, 11:52

Yeah agreed with you on that Hadouken. I though Waiting for Guffman was the weakest of all Guests films. Only the audition scene is funny the rest is very very average. Congrats on comment of the week by the way!

• GarethG63

Jul 31st 2011, 20:32

I can't believe you missed one of the greatest unsung mockumentaries ever: 1977's "Alternative 3" which showed a conspirational brain drain of scientists from the UK and the subsequent revelation that the dark side of the moon was occupied and that footage from the Mars lander showed lifeforms in the soil. As a sweaty 13 year old I lapped the whole thing up only to find out it was a belated April Fool's broadcast, awesome though

• linzlu

Jul 31st 2011, 23:30

I'd really recommend the top spot film Lake Mungo as well. Watched it today. Unnerving, creepy, and very moving at the same time. Almost convinces you that it is real documentary! One of the best films i've seen in a long time. Cant get it out of my head!

• Jarworski

Aug 1st 2011, 2:29

Not a bad list. Got a couple on the watchlist, thanks. However... Interview With The Assasin over Exit Through The Giftshop? No chance. Incident At Loch Ness is great, but I agree with Chris above, Guffman is weaker than Tesco value lager. Lake Mungo is pretty good but hardly worthy of the top spot, especially over Spinal Tap. If anyone seeks it out due to this list don't expect a masterpiece, cos it's a 7/10 IMO. Trollhunter rocks though! \m/

• mtthwmcphee

Sep 22nd 2012, 20:15

You forgot The Life and Hard Times of Guy Terrifico. An underrated Canadian mockumentary.

• stanleyselma

Oct 14th 2012, 4:15

I think "The Falls" by Peter Greenaway needs some consideration. 3 hours of complete insanity. I dare you to watch it in its entirety. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Falls

• StonedGoat

Dec 23rd 2012, 16:34

My picks: The Canadian film "Hard Core Logo" is a classic mockumentary of what happens when punks grow up. "It's All Gone Pete Tong" is the story of a DJ with percussion deafness. Any of the multiple reboots of "Trailer Park Boys" is always worth a watch

• StonedGoat

Dec 23rd 2012, 16:42

oh and of course District 9

• zapatrapa

Oct 13th 2013, 3:46

this list needs zero day