30 Most Underrated '90s Movies

Hidden gems from the nineties

Latest News

Comments

• danzig72

Aug 13th 2014, 9:38

Giant mecha-aliens getting blown into tiny icky bits by tanks. Need we say more? Eh? Mecha aliens? Hmmm maybe? Tanks? What tanks? There's no tanks in Starship Troopers! Is there?! No!

• FBDHolloway

Aug 13th 2014, 15:41

Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms.

• CaptainCrazy

Aug 13th 2014, 19:27

I would really question the "hidden gems" tag for some of these. If you really want to educate the masses I would include Fried Green Tomatoes (this deserves more love), Threesome (a great Baldwin performance) and Kuffs (Slater owned the 90's).

• nemanja

Aug 13th 2014, 19:29

Shattered (1991) masterpiece....

• scuzz80

Aug 13th 2014, 21:21

Should there be room for Zero Effect on this list?

• TheDigitalZombi

Aug 14th 2014, 12:09

Happy to say I saw a lot of these when they came out. Personal favourites include Rounders, Red Rock West, Pump Up the Volume and Go. I wouldn't have said Jackie Brown was underrated though. Maybe I was reading the wrong reviews at the time, but I remember it being very well received. I would have placecd Suicide Kings (1997) on the list too. And Robocop 2. I know it's not as good as the first one, but it was never going to be and if taken as a standalone, comic book movie, it actually works exceedingly well.

• timknaves

Aug 14th 2014, 14:50

With regards to Rounders and as Ross explained to Russ, It's Card Sharp and not Card Shark.

• FBYBrown

Aug 16th 2014, 0:04

The Long Kiss Goodnight was way better than Cutthroat Island. I have a feeling that because of Cutthroat Island's bad performance this ended up being ignored, which was a pity. I LOVE IT!

• trstnvnk

Aug 16th 2014, 9:39

Pretty good list! Great to see The Dark Half, Copycat, Things to do in Denver when you are Dead and Beautiful Girls mentioned. I do miss Strange Days and Carlito's Way. Two of the best films of the 90's and sadly overlooked. One question though, do you guys know the meaning of the word cameo? Cause Natalie Portman's and Christopher Lloyd's roles in Beautiful Girls and Things to do in Denver... weren't cameos, but supporting roles

Aug 16th 2014, 15:08

Millers Crossing isn't underrated, its considered a five star classic. I didn't realise True Detective was an EDtv reunion. Sweet. Oh and also Tremors and People under the stairs FTW.

• QuietLife

Aug 18th 2014, 10:17

@trstnvnk: I agree about the cameo thing. I consider Natalie's character to be almost a main role even.

• jasongiani

Aug 18th 2014, 17:09

Dark City (1998) has the worst Kiefer Sutherland performance (I haven't seen all his work but I'm pretty sure this is the worst), his performance alone ruins the whole movie for me.

• DavidSanchez786

Aug 19th 2014, 10:49

Start working at home with Google! It's by-far the best job I've had. Last Wednesday I got a brand new BMW since getting a check for $6474 this - 4 weeks past. I began this 8-months ago and immediately was bringing home at least $77 per hour. See Freely ........... W­W­W­.­MONEYKIN­.­C­O­M­

• bradpeater

Aug 19th 2014, 20:37

$9­­­­­­­­­7­­­­­­­­­/­­­­­­­­­h­­­­­­­­­r­­­­­­­­­ ­­­­­­­­­p­­­­­­­­­av­­­­­­­­­iv­­­­­­­­­d­­­­­­­­­v­­­­­­­­­ b­­­­­­­­­y G­­­­­­­­­oog­­­­­­­­­le­­­­­­­­­, I­­­­­­­­­ am ­­­­­­­­­making ­­­­­­­­­a ­­­­­­­­­good ­­­­­­­­­salary ­­­­­­­­­from ­­­­­­­­­home ­­­­­­­­­$5500­­­­­­­­­-­­­­­­­­­$7000/week ­­­­­­­­­, ­­­­­­­­­which ­­­­­­­­­is ­­­­­­­­­amazing, ­­­­­­­­­under ­­­­­­­­­a ­­­­­­­­­year ­­­­­­­­­ago ­­­­­­­­­I ­­­­­­­­­was ­­­­­­­­­jobless in ­­­­­­­­­a ­­­­­­­­­horrible ­­­­­­­­­economy. ­­­­­­­­­I ­­­­­­­­­thank ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­God ­­­­­­­­­every ­­­­­­­­­day ­­­­­­­­­I ­­­­­­­­­was ­­­­­­­­­blessed ­­­­­­­­­with ­­­­­­­­­these ­­­­­­­­­instructions ­­­­­­­­­and ­­­­­­­­­now ­­­­­­­­­it's ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­my ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­duty ­­­­­­­­­to ­­­­­­­­­pay ­­­­­­­­­it ­­­­­­­­­forward ­­­­­­­­­and ­­­­­­­­­share ­­­­­­­­­it ­­­­­­­­­with ­­­­­­­­­Everyone, ­­­­­­­­­Here ­­­­­­­­­is ­­­­­­­­­I ­­­­­­­­­started,,,­­­­­­­­­ >>>>>>>>>➜➜➜➜➜➜➜ ➜➜➜➜➜➜➜➜➜➜➜➜➜➜ w­w­w­.­s­l­a­m­w­o­r­k­.c­ℴ­m