40 Greatest Movie Character Theme Music

From the stirring to the soaring...

Comments

• julianchan

Nov 7th 2012, 11:06

1) Rocky 2) Jaws 3) Superman 4) James Bond 5) Indiana Jones 6) Darth Vader 7) Nameless man (The Good, the bad and the Ugly) The rest quite forgettable. BTW No 9 is the Pink Panther's theme, not the inspector's. Clouseau's theme is quite different. I do like, however, the inspector's theme from the TV cartoon series.

• DaveyMay

Nov 7th 2012, 12:49

Dont usually leave comments on here - but I was waiting to see the Exorcist appear on here - and it didint. One of the best theme tunes ever. I get goosebumps everytime I hear it - a dissapointing ommission to an otherwise excellent list.

• Jeffbiscuits

Nov 7th 2012, 13:06

The Gremlins mayhem theme.

• thedanieljson

Nov 7th 2012, 13:22

LOVE that you included The Naked Gun theme. So jazzy. Would have liked to see a bit more Morricone - in my opinion the greatest film composer of all time, beating even Williams - but it was a good selection.

• SiMan

Nov 7th 2012, 14:00

I wouldn't class the vast majority of these as 'character' themes, more just movie themes themselves. I'd consider a character theme to be one that was heard only when a specific character was on screen, like Indy, or Jaws.........I'd have put Bond a lot higher in that context, although when i was trying to 'guess' what woul dbe in here i completely forgot about Axel Foley - good call on that one.

• garethlucocq

Nov 7th 2012, 14:49

What about Robocop?

• FBSDeMorgan

Nov 7th 2012, 15:58

Think I might have liked to have seen Burton's Batman up there as well. I agree with thedanieljson about Morricone; I think Gabriel's Oboe deserves a nod at least. And maybe Otis from Donner's Superman; rarely has a tuba sounded more appropriate.

Nov 7th 2012, 16:38

Edith Piaf to wake up Dom! Apparently Han Zimmer slowed down 'Non, je ne Regrette Rien' : "Just for the game of it, all the music in the score is subdivisions and multiplications of the tempo of the Édith Piaf track. So I could slip into half-time; I could slip into a third of a time. Anything could go anywhere. At any moment I could drop into a different level of time."

• davidsanchez

Nov 8th 2012, 1:16

wrong picture at 14.

• briansmeaton

Nov 8th 2012, 2:30

Where is Rudy??????? The Most Epic Song And Inspirational one as well.

• MikeyRix

Nov 8th 2012, 13:02

"Daft Punk are at the heart of everything that is good with Joseph Kosinski’s sequel." -- Don't you mean "are the only thing that's good" about the sequel?

• Buffy0320

Nov 8th 2012, 13:53

His name is michael sheen not martin sheen

• FBGRedmond

Nov 8th 2012, 18:44

Well if you can include Bruce the Shark in Jaws, then how could you leave out the beautiful piece of music that John Williams made for Jurassic Park, the theme named "Welcome to Jurassic Park."

• bradendeal

Nov 19th 2012, 4:17

love that social network was in here