50 Coolest Movie Westerns

Go West!

Latest News

Comments

• Bandit1

Jan 16th 2013, 7:43

Is "True Grit" (original or remake) really missing here...or did I miss it? Also the guilty-pleasure sequel to it: "Rooster Cogburn". Nice to see "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid"...even it deserved a top-three rating (...and they didn't die at the end...no, they didn't, not in my world). I would also put the remake of "3:10 to Yuma" here, it was a very good movie. And: How about Peckinpah's "Convoy"...I consider it a Western-On-Wheels...always been a favorite of mine (If "No Country...." counts as Western, then so does this).

• Tokeiihto

Jan 16th 2013, 8:07

Okay, usually I'm not someone to complain about these lists, moaning about the order and ranking, missing stuff etc. but c'mon, guys. I know this is all highly subjective, but still ... I mean, there have been fought wars over which movie is superior: "The Good, The Bad & The Ugly" or "Once Upon A Time In The West" (personally, I fall into the latter camp), but to place "Once Upon A time In The West" "only" at the fifth spot seems almost sacrilegious given its status as not only one of the absolute finest western ever committed to celluloid but also as an unrivaled masterpiece of cinema in general. And while I'm not the biggest fan of classic US western, no mentioning of "The Searchers", John Ford's "Cavalry Trilogy" or Howard Hawks' "Red River" strikes me as ludicrous. Also, I think that "High Noon", "The Great Silence", "Unforgiven" should be ranked way higher. And if there's a Terrence Hill western that should have made the cut it's "My Name is Nobody" which, for all its faults, is still a very clever, enjoyable, entertaining and at times wistful western parody. Also, Franco Nero's last great (Italo)western "Keoma" definitively deserves a place on this list.

• Tokeiihto

Jan 16th 2013, 8:11

PS: Since I'm listening to Bob Dylan right now, Peckinpah's "Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid" should also be included.

• dangoodfellow

Jan 16th 2013, 10:20

"Unforgiven" should be much higher, it's the western equivalent of The Dark Knight Returns.

• DarrenBr00ks

Jan 16th 2013, 10:44

Wasn't Duck you sucker (Fist full of dynamite with James Coburn and not John Cogburn. Or that a joke I'm missing?

• DarrenBr00ks

Jan 16th 2013, 10:47

And I've heard of Django before let alone seen it. Its still easy to jump on the band wagon once its rolling.

• DarrenBr00ks

Jan 16th 2013, 10:47

Not heard

• CaptainCrazy

Jan 16th 2013, 12:23

Finally - some Terence Hill and Bud Spencer love. Hopefully this will make a new generation aware of their awesomeness. (Plus TF needs to do a Where Are They Now? on this great double act.)

• apo1978

Jan 16th 2013, 13:37

I know I'm gonna get hanged at dawn (til my feet stop twitchin') for this but Shanghai Noon was pretty fun. Also, what about Westworld? Yul Brynner was cool personified in that. Literally too.

• pvetter26

Jan 16th 2013, 13:59

I think Tombstone should've been much higher on this list. Also, where are Young Guns (just the first one) and True Grit (original or remake)?

• DeanHarper

Jan 16th 2013, 14:04

A pretty cool list overall, but some classics by John Ford and Howard Hawkes are notably missing.

• hardrock28

Jan 16th 2013, 15:17

Pale Rider? The Long Riders? Maybe I missed it up Silverado?

• 2Dglasses

Jan 16th 2013, 15:43

The Professionals? Well worth a watch

• samclayton

Jan 16th 2013, 15:45

Not only was i flabbergasted by the exclusion of the modern Western epic 'The Assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford' (5 stars in this very magazine), but my long ago gotten, A-Level film studies is enough for me to know that both 'The Searchers' and 'Shane' are missing from this list. From the top 10, i might add. I also think the remake of 3:10 to Yuma (2008) is pretty underrated and well worth a place in the top 50, at least.

• samclayton

Jan 16th 2013, 15:46

I see how difficult it must have been to compile, however, as I've just missed both True Grit's from my original comment. (Blazing Saddles anyone?)

• nickbarton

Jan 16th 2013, 15:54

Check out this cool Westerns tribute youtu.be/9bTiwLuO2AU

• Primogen16

Jan 16th 2013, 15:55

Not to mention Shane, The Searchers, Stagecoach, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, LIttle Big Man, 3:10 to Yuma, My Darling Clementine, The Outlaw Josey Wales, Rio Bravo, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, A Man Called Horse, High Plains Drifter, The Ox-Bow Incident, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Red River, Pat Garrett & Bill The Kid, McCabe & Mrs. Miller, and for good measure, Blazing Saddles

• conorferguson

Jan 16th 2013, 17:45

No High Plains Drifter? WOW!!

• compernero

Jan 16th 2013, 19:35

Django Kill If You Live Shoot, A Bullet For The General, Face To Face , Keoma and The Great Silence should be much higher

Jan 16th 2013, 22:36

Wow a Westerns list without The Searchers. Was it too obvious or was this list devised by Hipsters? Also, if you are going to include No Country.. I would like to throw in Serenity for good measure.

• gujsehambi

Jan 17th 2013, 0:03

Unforgiven at 27? that's unforgivable! I see no 3:10 To Yuma, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, The Shootist, Stagecoach or The Outlaw Josey Wales.

• LSJShez

Jan 17th 2013, 18:17

Django Unchained already? Let it breath a while first. If you're talking "cool" where was Pale Rider and the True Grit remake. They are cool.

• meestersicko

Jan 18th 2013, 7:52

"Django Unchained"? Seriously? Why not let a movie be out for more than 10 minutes before leapfrogging dozens of classics. How about put it around... #50? Just a thought.

• barryc

Jan 18th 2013, 14:11

Unforgiven at 27 ??? Django Unchained at 3 ??? Are you serious ??? No Country for Old Men is not a Western (modern day western is not a real thing) Where's True Grit, original or remake? Searchers and Shane? The Outlaw Josey Wales, 3:10 to Yuma, Open Range, High Plains Drifter, Red River, Rio Bravo, Hang em High, etc etc, ah ye get the point, I could make up my own list of great Westerns that you left out , Is there a difference between a "Cool" Western and a Classic Western, I don't get it.

• nostrebornod

Jan 23rd 2013, 21:34

Tombstone should be a bit higher. But my biggest complaint is the focus all on Russell as Earp (who did a fine job indeed), when I was in awe by Val Kilmer's portrayal as Doc Holiday. That alone sealed the movie for me IMO.

• nostrebornod

Jan 23rd 2013, 21:41

And I have to agree with some of the other posts: No Country (which is one of my top favorite movies) is not a "true" western.

• donhyde

Feb 9th 2013, 15:13

Not the best 50. Lots of lame films here and many not named.

• jackmeroff

Mar 11th 2013, 11:04

Who the hell wrote this c**p list!? I remember ARMY OF FIVE and it was c**p! and most of the other ones most people haven't heard on this list either. Josh Winning must be some lameass loser to pick trash like this. Everyone knows knows that Val Kilmer stole the show in TOMBSTONE as good as Kurt Russell was. Hey about about a black western POSSE as a cool western!