50 Greatest Fairy Tale Movies

If you go down to the woods today...

Latest News

Comments

• FBPRyan

Apr 6th 2012, 8:11

hook at number 5??????? awful film, easily speilberg's worst

• Leightwinst

Apr 6th 2012, 10:08

A list without a weekly mention of The Dark Knight? What is going on?

Apr 6th 2012, 10:35

Hey what about Star Wars? Its about a farmboy who joins a wizard and pirate to save the Princess! Thats less ambiguous than the Matrix. Speaking of Lucas, he only made Willow because he couldnt get the rights to LOTR (another omission), so he ripped it off instead! Plus you forgot Flight of Dragons.

• FBGKross

Apr 6th 2012, 11:52

What? No 1946 Beauty and the Beast? For shame!

• FBSSumaric

Apr 6th 2012, 13:50

Little Sarah Polley - she was sooooooooooooo cute :-) and she is still going strong :-)

• ChrisWootton

Apr 6th 2012, 13:58

As soon as I saw Hook at number 5, I honestly said out loud.. Hook at number 5?????? then saw FBPRyan's comment.. with you on that one.. awful film. Flight of Dragons is a good call.. but surely if you're going down the WIllow, Dark Crystal route then you'd eventually have to mention Lord of the Rings.. Brothers Grimm was pretty bad.. good effects but I couldn't tell what the f**k was happening.. it was like walking into a 2 hour long conclusion to a film that I hadn't seen

• firas76

Apr 6th 2012, 15:08

How on Earth the Matrix is a Fairy Tale movie, its more of Jesus story thing rather then a Alice in Wonderland or something!!! And I actully liked the latest Red Riding Hood thing movie it was quite fun

• MrScary

Apr 6th 2012, 18:34

Was thinking to myself as I read them "Excellent list, TF finally got it right (Suspiria, Dark Crystal)." Then I got to the Top 10. Hook? Terrible. Red Shoes? Never heard of it. Wizard of Oz should be #1; without it, most of these films would never have gotten made. And if you include The Matrix, you have to include Star Wars, which is the male equivelant of Cinderella; poor boy goes on to save the galaxy.

• wheresmyfish93

Apr 7th 2012, 12:00

What about the Czech adaption of Alice in Wonderland, Neco z Alenky?(Alice) That was awesome!!

• kimchisoul

Apr 7th 2012, 18:02

Nice to see A Tale of Two Sisters on there. Look to South Korea for other fairytale-based horrors including 'Cinderella' (신데렐라) and 'Hansel and Gretel' (헨젤과 그레텔). Truly grim!

• MisterAmj

Apr 9th 2012, 13:11

How the FISH do you leave out Sleeping Beauty (2011 version) starring a supreme Emily Browning? Poor form TF, poor form.

• cc1129

Apr 11th 2012, 5:05

I still really like "Legend"!

• cc1129

Apr 11th 2012, 5:10

"The ice-sculpting scene is heartbreakingly beautiful..." That scene still gets me every time even after 22 years!

• FBSBrand

Apr 16th 2012, 0:12

Good to see some love for Little Otik and Valerie and Her Week of Wonders. I'll probably agree with The Red Shoes for #1, amazing film.

• morgancate

Feb 14th 2013, 7:17

I hate to be unamerican and all that....but I'm not a big fan of the disney fairy tales.....I despies remakes,and that is what they are...remakes of classic dark,and violent awesome stories

• davidhudson

Jun 6th 2013, 21:19

morgancate, read the original fairytales by Perrault before you comment. Also, despite being a remake, they were made universal, and to be honest, disney fairytales are darker than they seem. Watch them again.