50 Greatest Movie Happy Endings

Triumphs, heartwarmers and feelgood moments

Comments

• danclay77

Dec 13th 2010, 9:36

Good call on Mr Hollands Opus and Shawshank obviously. However bloody "Wonderful Life" at No1 - I don't think so. I recently wrote an article on Filmjuice on this topic and wished you'd have put - as I did - "Pieces of April" in there - probably the finest final 2 minutes to any film without CGI, clogging sentiment or overacted tosh.

• danclay77

Dec 13th 2010, 9:38

• jkoopa

Dec 13th 2010, 9:54

Great list, and I'm so happy Return of the Jedi was in the top 3. However, 2 films that should definitely be in there; The Colour Purple and The Wedding Singer, I never cry with happiness at films apart from these two films.

• QuietLife

Dec 13th 2010, 10:36

What about Se7en? Any film that ends with Gwyneth's head in a box is a happy ending surely?

• BiDDY

Dec 13th 2010, 11:56

Before getting to finishing reading this I knew that "It's a Wonderful Life" would be numero uno, Always reduces me to tear with a smile on my face. I think 50 First Dates has a really nice ending that leaves you happy with the end result.

• clearwriter

Dec 13th 2010, 14:10

jkoopa beat me to it. Come one guys! The Colour Purple! That is a heartbreaking, totally uplifting happy ending. To put Return of the Jedi or The Goonies on this list, but no Colour Purple?

• PabloDiablo

Dec 13th 2010, 14:30

I like Gallipoli. It made Mel Gibsons career, and he called that police officer "sugar t**s", and now he's making the talking Beaver movie. Happy ending.

• ChrisWootton

Dec 13th 2010, 16:07

What about the Wicker Man? Lord Summerisle's plan works a treat and next seasons crop looks set to burst!

• cleanbreak

Dec 13th 2010, 18:58

I know it might be uncool these days, but Crocodile Dundee has a great ending. The subway, the great pace, the sweet pay off. Really well put together too with a fantastic soundtrack that makes the heart swell.

• DirtyDiana

Dec 13th 2010, 20:07

If "The Pursuit of Happyness" didn't have a happy ending I may well have done myself in. That film was an emotional roller coaster.

• DanRose

Dec 14th 2010, 13:58

Yes Teenwolf... wins the match, defeats the bully and chooses the right women... all to the strains of Amy Holland's Shooting for the Moon... I love this movie

Dec 14th 2010, 17:25

I love the end of Fandango, where Grover says goodbye to an era and his youth, frozen in time to the strains of Blind Faith.

• Nickey09

Dec 18th 2010, 1:07

I had forgotten about that marvelous song at the end of "The Muppet Movie" - that was one wonderful end to a great feel-good film!

• Dalekbuster523

Dec 18th 2010, 18:59

Rubbish list-most of the movies on there I hadn't even heard of or seen.And how come Walle is on the list?Walle is a whole load of utter nonsense and the ending makes the whole film a complete waste of time.Where was the ending to Wallace and Gromit:Curse of the were-rabbit or Toy Story 3?And what about the end of Journey to the centre of the earth(the version that came out in 2008)?

• WayneCha

Aug 20th 2011, 9:01

Not sure "The Graduate" counts. It's a very deceptive happy ending since both Ben and Elaine have "Now what?" looks on their faces. She might have dodged a bullet, but who's to say she didn't get hit by another one?

• jnuholly

Oct 21st 2011, 7:32

f**k you TOTALFILM com!!! What? You think your readers are too lazy to SCROLL to see this list??? So you make them load a new page every time they want to see a new item on your f*****g list? 50 f*****g pages. You've got to be kidding me!