50 Greatest Movie Robots

Droids, replicants and rustbuckets

Latest News

Comments

• Tastynapalm

Jun 27th 2011, 6:23

Robots, this should be a good list. But I look and no. 50 is that oversized Robot from Terminator Salvation. Closed the article, moved onto something else.

Jun 27th 2011, 9:36

Aren't half o these cyborgs? Or am I just splitting hairs? Anyway Iron Giant, possibly Vin Diesels best performance..

• glegs

Jun 27th 2011, 9:48

WHY IS HAL NOT NUMBER 1!?!?!?!

• Jeffbiscuits

Jun 27th 2011, 9:53

Hal isn't a robot.

• MikeyRix

Jun 27th 2011, 11:15

R2D2 at the top. Fair game, TF, fair game.

• Jok23r

Jun 27th 2011, 11:49

You put the Harvester from Terminator Salvation in the list and left out Maximillian from The Black Hole. But I can forgive it for the fact both Roy Batty and R2-D2 are in the top ten...

• BeeNL

Jun 27th 2011, 12:07

Marvin not appearing in the top 10 leaves me a bit depressed.

• BeeNL

Jun 27th 2011, 12:08

Marvin not appearing in the top 10 leaves me a bit depressed.

• DAO999

Jun 27th 2011, 20:25

Good List. I liked that you had The Iron Giant robot so high. Awesome movie. The top 25 could be rearranged a bit. Some of your rankings were questionable.

• cjschaff

Jul 1st 2011, 19:14

Very interesting list. Some I have TOTALLY forgotten about, and others I wouldn't have included (splitting hairs on the Cyborg thing). It could be that this is not a USA website, but I miss the robot "Robot" from the TV series Lost In Space. Surely HE (or 'it') should have been in the top 50.

• albo34

Jul 1st 2011, 20:30

No Twiggy ("Got to save, Buck") from Buck Rogers? What about the Cylons?

• manteeth

Jul 2nd 2011, 17:42

You forgot the bartender from Fifth Element. For shame.

• manteeth

Jul 2nd 2011, 17:43

You forgot the bartender from Fifth Element. For shame.

• Stumpzian

Jul 4th 2011, 11:57

Fun list, and I like the writing. Example, from C3P0: "Pedantic to the point of prissiness, once you remove the circuitry he’s the archetypal dragged-along-for-the-ride comedy robot sidekick." Other candidates: Bicentennial Man and the trash-can-like robot from the old serial "Dr. Satan's Robots."

• Stumpzian

Jul 4th 2011, 12:00

• FBEFiorentino

Jul 4th 2011, 16:38

what about roy batty from blade runner

• bazman05

Jul 5th 2011, 0:13

The mere fact you put R2D2 at number 1 shows what big nerds you are.

• bazman05

Jul 5th 2011, 0:16

The mere fact you put R2D2 at number 1 shows what big nerds you are.

• DAO999

Oct 26th 2011, 23:48

What about Bender?

• cc1129

Mar 29th 2012, 21:13

Why does E.D. 209 have a picture of Edward Norton? Wrong "Ed" guys!

• sarahcooper14

Jun 12th 2012, 1:25

Where's David from Prometheus?

• stuchisholm

Jun 12th 2013, 6:44

I'm a bit mystified by the absence of some of the great older 'bots, such as Kronos. (Yeah, I'm an OLD nerd!) I'm irked that so many cartoon/comedic robots were included, too. While technically not a movie 'bot, there WAS a movie version of "Lost In Space," so I think B-9 should've gotten at least an honorable mention. (Or include that monstrosity that passed for him in the film.) In any case, an interesting list. Now it's time to do one for TV shows!

• sansu

May 17th 2014, 19:47

I always had some same dreams when I was a very little kid, they are all about that a robot was chasing me, and I ran very hard, I climbed a high building, but the robot was getting close, so I jumped off the building, then I waked up. I always remember those dreams, and I thought they were just dreams, but now I know they are not my dreams, they are the truth, human being will be replaced by robots. 'cause The Gods are true, they need robots more than us. We are created like a pig, but they don't need our meat, they need our feelings, emotion, intelligence, etc