50 Greatest Road Movies

Get behind the wheel and go for a spin

Comments

Oct 8th 2012, 8:15

Good list, although I would have replaced Road Trip with Wendy and Lucy or the brilliant Fandango. Road trip is not the greatest of anything.

• Bandit1

Oct 8th 2012, 9:58

Nice list. A lot of all-time favorites of mine (nice to see "Midnight Run" rated that high). Of course I would rate "Smokey and the Bandit" a lot higher....a lot. And also "Sideways". Some I missed here that might fit this category: "Sugerland Express", "Joy Ride", "The Getaway", "Cannonball" (from '76), "Gumball Rally" and "Convoy".

• apo1978

Oct 8th 2012, 12:58

"Max Mad 2"? Never heard of that one ;-)

• CaptainCrazy

Oct 8th 2012, 14:32

I didnt check each one so tell me if Coupe de Ville is in there somewhere. If not, then shame you TF, shame on you. No, I'm off to do something constructive. *picks nose*

• davidspodak

Oct 8th 2012, 15:47

Glad to see Badlands here, one of my favorites ever (not just road) and still Malick's best in my opinion. Davd

• Crispy92

Oct 8th 2012, 23:49

Good list, but what about Jeepers Creepers and Transamerica.

• luke22

Oct 9th 2012, 10:39

I agree with 'Easy Rider' being at 1...... but 'the motorcycle diaries' should of been in the top 5!

Oct 9th 2012, 21:28

Hey you forgot Braveheart.. that is Jonathan Ross's favourite Road movie. :D

• bluebaldur

Oct 10th 2012, 9:58

Simon, I can not believe that you forgot one of the greatest movies ever seen on screen, and certainly the greatest road movie ever made: Fellinis "La Strada"!

• vinimanso

Jan 30th 2013, 13:14

I missed "Into the Wild", a great road movie, and Almost Famous, one of the best movies directed by Cameron Crowe.

• tomprovost

May 31st 2013, 18:34

Just stumbled across this. Excellent list.. save where is Paper Moon?? One of the best road movies of all time.

• mazharkhattak

Feb 7th 2014, 1:20

midnight run is the best among all......but can somebody tell me why scarecrow 1973 is not in the list.....it should be included and ranked 2nd...

• dannorik

Feb 8th 2014, 20:40

Any road movie list without Pee Wee's Big Adventure is pure b******t.

• franzdoreza

Jul 7th 2014, 20:38

There was a remake of "Wages of Fear" by William Friedkin called "Sorcerer" that was pretty good. The other films that could be on this list are "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles", still one of the best comedy's. Also "A Night on Earth", "El Norte", "Europa, Europa", "The Way Back", "My Own Private Idaho", "Stranger Than Paradise', "Harold and Maude", "Niagara, Niagara", and....there are a few more..but I also loved Stewie and Brian "On the Road to the North Pole" and of course, "ROADHOUSE"...just kidding.

• franzdoreza

Jul 7th 2014, 20:44

One more I forgot.."Box of Moonlight" a great indie picture with John Turturoo, Sam Rockwell and Catherine Keener. Quintessential 90's indie film.

• franzdoreza

Jul 7th 2014, 21:35

Ok...I can't forget about "Dirty Larry and Crazy Mary", "Death Proof" and "Django Unchained", technically they're on the road on a quest right? Even the "Lord of the Rings" is technically on the road to..something....so...I wonder what the criteria is to be considered a "road" film. Do you need a car? A paved road? Driving or walking, a motorcycle is OK I gather, so I guess "Dumb and Dumber" might work. How long do they have to be on the road? The whole film, 3/4 or 1/2? Why am I wasting time on this.

• franzdoreza

Jul 7th 2014, 21:48

"Death Proof",, "A Night on Earth", "The Way Back", "Europa, Europa", "Niagara, Niagara", "Planes, Trains and Automobiles", "Stranger Than Paradise", 'Django Unchained", "Dirty Larry and Crazy Mary", "El Norte","The Way Back", "Zombieland", "The Lord of the Rings", "Harold and Maude", and Stewie and Brian "On the Road to the North Pole"..but..I wonder, what is the criteria to be considered a "road" film. Does it have to be in a car, on a paved road or dirt? Hmmm..life's tough questions.

• TommyMovieStar

Jul 12th 2014, 23:22

Great list of Road Movies - but 2 of my faves are missing: "Something Wild" (1986) & "Five Easy Pieces" (1970)