50 Greatest WTF Movies

Weird wonders to warp your mind

Comments

• sterjo

Oct 1st 2012, 6:27

Good list. Suggestions: Vampyr (1931), Dead of Night (1945), Seconds (1966), The Tenant (1976), Duel (1971), After Hours (1985), Man Bites Dog (1992), U-Turn (1997), I Stand Alone (1998), Happiness (1998), Your Friends & Neighbours (1998), I Heart Huckabees (2004), Bug (2006), Black Swan (2010)

Oct 1st 2012, 7:52

Dark City is one of best bonkers films out there. Its like a graphic novel. Check it out.

• stasorlov

Oct 1st 2012, 8:02

where Cronenberg's masterpieces: eXistenZ, The Fly, Spider!

Oct 1st 2012, 8:50

Cube! The original is brilliantly simple and tense, the ending left ambiguous.

• Bandit1

Oct 1st 2012, 10:52

Interesting list! I would add the "Basket Case"-Trilogy here and "Tokyo Gore Police" (had some crazy scenes). Maybe some honorary mentions to "Salo" and "Shivers".

• thedanieljson

Oct 1st 2012, 11:32

@Bandit1 was about to write the same for Tokyo Gore Police - the giant p***s cannon is urr, interesting. I saw Primer in there, I think Timecrimes is in a similar WTF vein. Liked the mention of Spirited Away, there's some pretty disturbing, weird stuff in there despite being a kids film... Cool list.

• BrutalDeluxe

Oct 1st 2012, 11:50

Good list. One possible choice is the 1978 Australian film "Long Weekend". Nature unsettles a suburban couple and the whole movie is intriguing but disconcerting.

• Devilangeldude

Oct 1st 2012, 11:55

"Drop Your Popcorn Moment: Dominick Cobb (Leonardo DiCaprio) shows budding architect Ariadne (Ellen Page) the power of dreams by folding a city skyline in on itself." I thought it was Ariadne (Ellen Page) who did the whole folding the city in half thing?

• Bandini77

Oct 1st 2012, 12:00

A few suggestions; 'El Topo', 'Sante Sangre', '200 motels', 'The Monkees - Head'

• alqpetrova

Oct 1st 2012, 12:36

I think Weekend (1967) is the biggest WTF movie ever, in a slightly bad way... I cringed when I saw it on this list, because I was forced to remember :S

• Toursiveu

Oct 1st 2012, 12:39

Very good list... but it needs a lot more Ken Russell... Mahler, Tommy, Lisztomania, Gothic...

• philmorewest

Oct 1st 2012, 13:33

I would have put the moment from the toilet in Trainspotting in there too....that whole scene is far out.

• tomlangley

Oct 1st 2012, 14:13

what about the film 'teeth' the whole film made me drop my popcorn!!!

• LukeSween

Oct 1st 2012, 15:30

#9 Ariadne changes the city scape, not Cobb

• hallidude

Oct 1st 2012, 20:34

Kynodontas [Dogtooth]. Easily one of the most WTF movies I have ever seen.

• SteveWev

Oct 2nd 2012, 14:35

Hey, this list isn't bad at all - although I hate Primer and Weekend. Some films I'd have also added are Forbidden Zone, The Cemetery Man (a.k.a. Dellamorte Dellamore), Daisies, Valerie and Her Week of Wonders, Heart of Glass, The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension, Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans, Meet the Feebles, Pink Flamingos, The Hourglass Sanatorium and any film from Lucio Fulci's Gates of Hell Trilogy (City of the Living Dead, The Beyond and House by the Cemetery). Yeah, obviously I watch a lot of WTF movies...

• emmadingle

Oct 5th 2012, 13:28

Surely some mistake?! :D Where's Beetlejuice on this list? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094721

• kcacolice

Oct 5th 2012, 13:38

The Fountain at 47?...Why do so many people not understand this movie?

• nickbrown

Oct 5th 2012, 14:01

I agree with the addition here of 'eXistenz', 'Sante Sangre', and 'Forbidden Zone' - great head scratchers. How about Jeunet's 'Delicatessen', (the-slightly-less-good-than-'Timecrimes') 'Triangle', 'Blue Velvet' / 'Wild at Heart', 'Southland Tales'?

• jws1272

Oct 5th 2012, 14:07

One that made me say WTF was a 1978 Japanese film called Hausu. Very trippy.....lots of good effects. It's like a drug trip without the drugs...

• nickbrown

Oct 5th 2012, 14:08

How about 'The Jacket', 'Gozu', Greenaway's 'A Zed & Two Noughts', Svankmajer's 'Alice' and possibly the ultimate WTF 'Picnic at Hanging Rock'?

• ZombiFlyBoy

Oct 5th 2012, 17:42

Awesome list going to check out the 5,000 fingers of Dr. T never saw it :D

• Nickey09

Oct 6th 2012, 22:02

Anything by John Waters. "Pink Flamingos" with Divine. LOVE the suggestions!!! Regardless, this need to be a much longer list.

• drbond1980

Oct 10th 2012, 9:05

hello

• jman500

Jul 1st 2013, 17:55

good list but i would add after hours and blow up just a thought