50 Most Expensive Movies Ever Made

Hey, big spender...

Comments

• Bandit1

Mar 29th 2012, 8:30

"GI Joe" was pretty entertaining actually. "T3" was a lot better than "Salvation" And "Robin Hood" was far better than I expected. I never understood though how "Even Almighty" could cost so much...Carrell wasn't that expensive and the FX weren't that great anyways...And "Avatar"...well...still overrated!

• ChrisWootton

Mar 29th 2012, 9:18

Who the hell agreed a 185 million dollar budget for Rush Hour 3? That's unbelievable.. truly. I'd also genuinely like to know how animated movies have such huge budgets.. anyone know?

Mar 29th 2012, 10:14

Paranormal Activity cost just $15000 ( I suspect minus marketing and distributing) and made a whopping $194 million. Theres a lesson to be learnt here.

• FBTNetto

Mar 29th 2012, 13:14

Where're Troy and Green Lantern?

• Heisenberg

Mar 29th 2012, 13:47

FBTNetto, Green Lantern is No.21. Where troy is, i dont know.

• SiMan

Mar 29th 2012, 14:00

Didn't realise that the first Iron Man film had such a high budget. Even riding on the wave of the X-Men and Spiderman, that surely was a bit of a risky move, what with Iron Man not being that mainstream/popular a superhero.

• apo1978

Mar 29th 2012, 14:03

Ha, I actually think the exact opposite @Bandit1. G.I Joe was awful, T3 was much worse than Salvation and Robin Hood wasn't as good as I hoped. Avatar is great too ;-)

• nkutzler

Mar 29th 2012, 16:01

Well I would've figured Avatar would be in the top 3, I guess i didn't think about upcoming films. Starting at #20 some were very surprising. I really hate when some of these films get a bad wrap. I love Quantum of Solace, Iron Man 2, Terminator Salvation. Wait, shouldn't Inception be on the list? I thought it cost more than Dark Knight...

• Tokukachi

Mar 29th 2012, 16:30

How come you have some of this years films in the list but missed out others? Prometheus ($250m) The Avengers ($225m) The Amazing Spiderman ($220m) Battleship ($200m) Total Recall ($200m)

• jeffamania

Mar 29th 2012, 16:53

Great article total film! I hope the person who came up with the concept of the '50 most....' gets a raise. I'm sure they are some expensive turkeys not included here such as i. Batman and Robin ii. Pluto Nash iii. Mars needs a Mom iv. Speed Racer v. Sahara vi. Stealth etc Also your list is the most expensive movies in 'nominal' terms (sorry to be a bore) i.e it does not take into account inflation or time. Hence old Hollywood production costs such as Ben Hur, Gone with the Wind or Cleopatra would easily dwarf the cost of making John Carter if they were made today in the same manner.

• FBTNetto

Mar 29th 2012, 17:42

Heisenberg Thank you. I didn't look with better attention

• jonnykerr13

Mar 30th 2012, 8:24

I enjoyed reading this feature, but the ones that made say something like $50 -$60 million dollars more than their budget made a small profit. Not necessarily the case. The wont get 100% on the ticket sales. Think the first week or two they get around 75 - 80% of tickets, but as the weeks progress, that percentage slips in favor of the cinema. Also marketing isn't taken in to consideration either. But them I suppose they sell DVD/Blu Ray distribution rights and probably get a cut of sales from that (that last part I'm unsure of). Anyway, the likes of 'The Green Lantern' probably made a pretty sore loss in the end.

• Scurf

Mar 30th 2012, 11:12

'I'd also genuinely like to know how animated movies have such huge budgets.. anyone know?' Its well documented how 'FX' movies cost more. Well, CG animation is like an entire special effect from beginning to end. Every single item on screen has to be designed, modeled, textured, lit and often rigged and animated. This whole process takes a lot of time compared to filming so these people are employed for much longer, often years at a time. Fortunately kids movies sell toys and other merchandise which can be a gold mine for the studios.

• JDogg1982

Mar 30th 2012, 12:58

Wha about the Avengers which has a $220 million budget??? and others such as the Amazing Spider-man... also you have the Hobbit in there but not Lord of the Rings. What exactly do you need to be on the list if this is the case??

Mar 30th 2012, 16:58

Waterwold was 17 years ago? Im so old.. :(

• MrScary

Apr 2nd 2012, 19:23

The Lone Ranger will flop. I'm 40 and I barely remember watching it on reruns. Johnny Depp's costume looks ridiculous. It doesn't jave a nostalgic audience. As for Men In Black 3; it will do a modest box office, might even beat the previous ones, but most people will fail to equate ticket prices 10 years ago vs. prices today.

• Aleric

Apr 2nd 2012, 20:33

Oh look, more hate for John Carter even though it has yet to finish its run and the money it will make on Blu-Rays.

• emilyshuster

Aug 28th 2012, 15:13

I have a relative who was a Production Assistant on some of these projects during the summers of '06-'07 and from what he knows... Spiderman 3 was somewhere in the neighborhood of $325 million not including the cost of marketing. Avatar was somewhere around "Four and a quarter..." according to the construction coordinator on that show =$425 million w/o marketing which is probably what prompted that New York Times article. and for both Pirates films was somewhere around $500 for both... which, to be fair amount to about $250 million apiece. So ultimately, it looks like Avatar, from the ground up was the biggest with Spidey 3 coming i second. Never believe the studios who have reason to inflate their profit margins by deceitfully deflating their budgets since these corporations have shareholders.