50 Most Unintentionally Hilarious Movies Of All Time

Point and laugh

Latest News

Comments

• Bandit1

Aug 30th 2012, 6:33

...hmmm. Something tells me you guys are not really big fans of Stallone and Indiana Jones lately. I thought "Cliffhanger" was a pretty entertaining movie. And "Expendables 2 (and 1)" are not unintentionally funny, these guys know they're making fun of themselves...just a bunch of old action-stars having fun. Agreed on "Wicker Man" and "Battlefield Earth". "Knowing" was ok...until the last few minutes. "Basket Case" on the other hand is quite a cult classic among Horror-Fans...crappy FX, but it's got something. Great to see "Samurai Cop" here...my god...just watch the trailer on YouTube...hilarious! Some movies here look so bad...I really have to check them out!

• gwales

Aug 30th 2012, 6:47

@Bandit - don't get me wrong, I'm not saying these are uniformly c**p movies, just unintentionally humorous in places. As for The Expendables, I quite enjoyed it, but some of the "serious" dialogue really is the pits...

• matsnowie

Aug 30th 2012, 6:48

Batman & Robin is even better as the 60s TV show: Episode 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Kv9HCGj7Cs&feature=g-upl Episode 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ4zaq2Fe8c&feature=relmfu

• johndevoy

Aug 30th 2012, 7:24

no 'invasion usa' or 'delta force'?!?! Shirley shome mistake? Also Wicker Man no.1, I mean the bits that are worth a look are all on youtube and they are funny, but I dont think I could be bothered with watching the rest of it again.

• ChrisWootton

Aug 30th 2012, 8:54

Good list again.. I saw Basketcase the other month, it might be a fan favourite but I was p**sing myself most of the way through. The bit in the first Expendables where Sly is running along the jetty towards the Expendaplane is also one of the funniest moments of modern cinema.

Aug 30th 2012, 9:11

Firstly Knowing is ace, its a great idea and doesn't have a Hollywood ending. Taffin? I'm wondering if you have been listening to the Adam and Joe Show. If so, credit where credit is due and all that. Finally , Commando! Its just a camp classic. Ever line is pure Gouda, Arnie runs around with wearing 100 guns like they were nothing (even Skyrim has a weight limit). the villian is so OTT he is practically pantomime.

• DrPaapi

Aug 30th 2012, 9:24

I watched Megashark vs Crocosaurus a few days ago an it was one of the funniest films I've ever seen... but any of these disaster shark movies are pretty entertaining

• MikeyRix

Aug 30th 2012, 9:32

"Batman and Robin": either a great comedy to recover from root canal surgery to or root canal surgery itself.

• andrewrobbins

Aug 30th 2012, 10:19

I can't say I've seen most those movies, but if you ask me any of the The Evil Dead films should make top 10, with The Evil Dead 2 at number 1.

• ash333

Aug 30th 2012, 10:33

Disapointed not to see Karate Kid 3 on the list.. Thomas Ian Griffith plays multi millionaire toxic waste dumper Terry Silva who puts big business to one side in order to focus all his efforts on winning a children's karate competition. "First he suffers. Then he suffers some more.. Woo ha haa haaa". Pure class.. Also have to say I enjoyed Knowing. Watched it on a plane, still enjoyed it. Mark Whalburg would have ruined Knowing and Cage I'd wager would have given The Happening the injection of charisma (among other things) it so sorely needed. Different leagues

• TheDigitalZombi

Aug 30th 2012, 11:55

The funniest part of The Wicker Man remake is when Nic Cage arrives on the island and is confronted by a group of suspicious looking locals carrying a sack with something wriggingly around inside. He looks at this group and asks them if it's a shark in the sack. Way to go detective. You detected the s**t out this case for a missing girl.

• mattjenkins81

Aug 30th 2012, 12:17

"I am the LAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWW" Literally cracks me up.

• mattjenkins81

Aug 30th 2012, 12:24

Not sure what is more worrying, the fact I've seen a lot of these films already or the fact I'd like to watch the ones I haven't.

• thelimopit

Aug 30th 2012, 13:08

The Stuff and I'm Alive are both Larry Cohen films, a true auteur who's very much aware of the line between schlock and comedy. They're cleverer films than you may think - The Stuff especially is nuanced satire on consumerism, and some of the lines are absolutely hilarious. And if you're going to include Cohen's films, you should have at least included a shout out to Q The Winged Serpent, his pièce de résistance.

• SteveWev

Aug 30th 2012, 13:31

I'm pretty certain Vampire's Kiss and The Stuff are meant to be funny. Like thelimopit mentioned, The Stuff is clearly a satire on consumerism, and it is pretty broadly comic to the point where it just seems way too deliberate. And the reasoning behind why Vampire's Kiss is unintentionally funny seems odd. Yes the film does have a protagonist losing his mind, but that is played for laughs too. That's why it's a black comedy - the fact that it's a comedy horror is even acknowledged, plus it's written by the same guy who wrote the similarly dark and bizarre comedy After Hours. Other than that, this provided me with many films to add to my watchlist. But how could you miss out the 1982 slasher Pieces (the only slasher film that features a random martial arts fight) and the 1960 version of The Lost World (in which the "dinosaurs" are performed by normal lizards with fake horns stuck all over them)?

• lovelypatricio

Aug 30th 2012, 16:32

Hate to break it to you but Basket Case was meant to be intentionally funny. I though anyone over eleven would realize that. Read any interview with Frank Henenlotter the director/writer of this film.

• FBSChandler

Aug 30th 2012, 16:33

Expendables 2? Cliffhanger? Are you trying to be clever with these picks? It feels a bit like you selected a few actors who are easy targets and picked a couple of random films from their careers.

• lovelypatricio

Aug 30th 2012, 16:35

To andrewrobbins, if you can't realize Sam Raimi meant for those Evil Dead movies to be comedies you must be missing something. Raimi has said the biggest influence on those 3 films was The Three Stooges.

• JoshEBevans

Aug 30th 2012, 16:37

C'mon TF, you've missed out the seminal Billy Blanks classic 'King of the Kickboxers'!! Not only does it contain the funniest training montage ever (THE LOGS!!......LOREN AVEDON'S FACE!!!!!) but the dialogue leading up the end fight is priceless. Anyone reading this, go on youtube now and watch it...it's too good! Should be No. 1 on this list!!

• gregwhelan

Aug 30th 2012, 16:38

You missed one of my all time favorites: Deadly Friend. The scene were the now robot-girl explodes the crotchety old woman's head with a basketball is classic hilarity. If you slow it down, you can see the pumpkin seeds flying.

• mole49ers

Aug 30th 2012, 16:55

how in gods name is deadly prey not number 1? He beats someone to death with their own arm. The acting and dialogue are so bad it just makes it a comedy the whole time.

• marc96

Aug 30th 2012, 17:05

im surprised with cliffhanger, i would have the mummy 3 & showgirls on here

• popsavant

Aug 30th 2012, 17:09

Showgirls? Surprised it was left off this list...

• Britannia

Aug 30th 2012, 17:11

One important film they forgot: Independance Day. Mind you it is a toss up whether it should be in this list or the 50 worst films ever list. Other candidates for this list would be Flight of the Apache and Armaggedon.

• nostrebornod

Aug 30th 2012, 17:18

It's very sad that I know this, but in "The Swarm" the killer bees were attacking Houston at the end. It was "The Savage Bees" that featured New Orleans during Mardi Gras (I was on a killer bee kick when I was around 9 years old).

• ctbech

Aug 30th 2012, 17:27

One word: Zardoz.

• marc96

Aug 30th 2012, 17:30

and grease 2 (although i would include the first Grease as well)

• davestewart

Aug 30th 2012, 18:08

I'm disappointed that several films on this list are either tongue-in-cheek or know exactly what they're doing. In short, a number of selections don't fit with the category of "unintentionally hilarious" at all. The problem with these "holier than thou" lists is that they run the risk of making the person/committee that puts them together look like smug a*****es.

• SiMan

Aug 30th 2012, 18:17

Wow, Congo appearing on two lists within a week. I remember liking that film back in the day (when i was young and had no sense of what a 'good' film was) so think this is one of those signs that i need to get it on DVD. One film i would also add on here is Blind Fury, the Rutger Hauer film where he plays a blind ninja. Never laughed so hard at a non-comedy film in all my life watching that.

• thejonner

Aug 30th 2012, 18:50

"Slugs," always kills me.

• hbenton

Aug 30th 2012, 21:39

I know it's not meant to be funny, but when I watch the Poseidon Adventure, it's so funny the way Gene Hackman and Ernest Borgnine banter after the ship's gone upside down.

• patchristenson

Aug 30th 2012, 22:03

How could you leave off "Impulse" (AKA "Want a Ride, Little Girl?"), the worst and most hilarious of the numerous bad films William Shatner made in the 1970s? THIS IS A DISASTER .

• DravenCage

Aug 30th 2012, 23:31

Camp Blood being left of the list makes me sad as it's easily the funniest non-comedy ever.

• Qexit

Aug 31st 2012, 13:01

Night of the Lupus is truly hilarious but you haven't picked the funniest moment by a long way. The one that sticks in my memory is when the Police Office turns up at a drive-in movie and issues the following statement to the otherwise distracted cinema goers: "Attention! Attention! Ladies and gentlemen, attention! There is a herd of killer rabbits headed this way and we desperately need your help! " To add to the fun, they all cheerfully follow his instructions rather than the standard 'all run away screaming' routine. An absolute classic :-)

• Denzil

Aug 31st 2012, 17:41

After hearing so much about how bad Batman and Robin is, I finally tried to watch it on TV recently (I wasn't going to pay any money to view it.....). I lasted about ten minutes; it is EVEN worse than I'd heard and not even so bad it's good, just really, really awful. It's amazing that something so inept would still have cost untold millions to make. Also, surely every Nicholas Cage film is unintentionally hilarious? the man is unbelievably bad.

Aug 31st 2012, 18:13

Cage has done some decent turns in Leaving Las Vegas , Adaption, and guilty pleasures like Family Man and Con Air but yeah after Matchstick Men (his last decent performance) it does downhill from there...

• TinEar85

Sep 5th 2012, 0:07

Grizzly Man is probably one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. And I don't mean that sarcastically.

• davebe

Feb 8th 2013, 16:53

Crystal Skull gets a lot of stick for its content (Aliens/nuclear fridge) but its just as silly bollocks as the religion of the others. Cup of Christ? pfft

• alexcarrillo

Feb 8th 2013, 22:24

In a VERY tough business, with very tough people, liking or pretending to like no one, why is Nic Cage still working??? Biggest mystery in pop culture.