50 Sequels That Were Better Than The Original

...Or at least on a par with it

Comments

• FBSHarrigan

Apr 9th 2012, 6:58

This is a decent list, but there are a few with which I would disagree. Aliens is my biggest point of disagreement; Ridley Scott's Alien is a far more atmospheric and tense film due to the claustrophobia of the ship it took place on. Aliens was far more of an action movie and was far less scary. Instead of being one horrible creature, there were multiples of it which left lots of these ferocious creatures as turret fodder. The Dark Knight is the one I agree with the most strongly. It is leaps and bounds better than the first one which was already a pretty good movie. It is always a delight to see significant improvement even though it is pretty rare. http://www.videodetective.com/movies/fantastic-four-rise-of-the-silver-surfer/69496 This is another example of a sequel that greatly improved upon the original. The first Fantastic Four was sub par, but Rise of the Silver Surfer was an improvement because the film makers learned from what they did wrong in the first movie and fixed much of it.

• cleanbreak

Apr 9th 2012, 10:34

Pretty good, not sure about Rocky 3 and die hard with a vengeance. Also, please could it be possible to do a list that doesn't have Empire strikes back at number 1. It's good film and should be on the list, but let's not go crazy.

• marc96

Apr 9th 2012, 10:39

good list, although i would pick die hard 2 over die with with a vengeance & fellowship of the ring in my opinion is the best of the trilogy... other sequels i think are better is austin powers spy who shagged me & death note 2 the last name

• NathDyl

Apr 9th 2012, 10:49

T2 better than Terminator? Not a chance. Also Alien is better than Aliens

Apr 9th 2012, 11:42

BIll and Ted's Bogus Journey deserves a nod...."aim for the cat!"

• deedeedragons

Apr 9th 2012, 12:04

Gremlins 2? God no.

• ramona0scarlett

Apr 9th 2012, 12:15

The Dark Night over Batman Begins? Surely not. Surely not.

• bollibolshevik6

Apr 9th 2012, 12:32

Friday the 13th, part 2, is the one I have to take issue with here. The original, though massively overrated by fans of the slasher genre, was a brilliant piece of filmmaking in that it tricks its audience into siding with a male killer throughout, only to discover that she's a female. The second one was just a bogstandard slasher, and not a very good one. Maybe part 4 is worthy of note, and part 6 has its moments, but part 2 really was a let down. Re. Alien / Aliens and Terminator / T2, I find it very difficult to judge. Alien was terrifying and much more atmospheric than Aliens, but Aliens is a much more slick and well executed movie. Similarly, The Terminator is an excellent thriller whereas T2 is a sublime action film. Overall, I'd probably say that the originals top the sequels but because the sequels take such a different approach, it's tough to call. Also, MI:3 is much better than Ghost Protocol.

• MisterAmj

Apr 9th 2012, 13:20

Just remember guys, TF says these are sequels that are either better or at least ON PAR with the originals. Based on that criteria, I would say Aliens, Dark Knight and T2 are AS good as the originals. What do you think? @Bollibolshevik, agreed on MI3.

• CSB23

Apr 9th 2012, 13:38

Really? The Godfather Part II over the first one? Rocky III? Die Hard with Vengeance? Harry Potter 3..the worst one, even though there all terrible..which is saying something. Think the rest of the list was pretty good though :)

Apr 9th 2012, 13:43

Oedipal lightsaber duel? I missed the bit where Luke and Padme ... ah never mind

• durden

Apr 9th 2012, 14:49

actually shrek, hostel, rocky, fast and furious, spiderman, star trek, xmen and alien were all claerly far superior to their respective sequels in my opinion

• Jrdnsans1792

Apr 9th 2012, 15:33

What a s**t list. This should be called '50 films which are nowhere near as good as the original'. I only agree with 5 films on this list which are: X2, Revenge of the Sith, Desperado, Lethal Weapon 2 and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, and i've seen all these films apart from Star Trek 2 and Addams Family Values. Really is an awful selection.

• FBSChandler

Apr 9th 2012, 16:17

A better title for the article would have been, "10 Sequels That Were Better than the Original, 5 Sequels That Were As Good as the Original, and 35 More Movies Which Aren't Better than the Original."

• seepeejay

Apr 9th 2012, 16:38

I personally disagree with Back to the Future, Gremlins, Toy Story, Batman Returns, Shrek and Rocky. I think all the originals were bringing something different and the sequels were just trying to up the ante. That said I would put all the Rockys and the Bournes on a par (as stated in the feature title). Otherwise, totally agree! Yes also to Bill and Ted, was gonna also say Young Guns but I thought better of it!

• MrScary

Apr 9th 2012, 18:15

This list is so hit and miss I'm not going to even take the time to list them.

• MrScary

Apr 9th 2012, 18:20

TheKingofCinema wrote: "but I have got to agree with you that I do think Friday 13th Part 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, Jason goes to Hell and Jason X are better then the original." You lost all sense of credibility with this one sentence. 8 through Jason X are horrible.

• MrScary

Apr 9th 2012, 18:22

FBSChandler, well spoken.

• ThePrestige85

Apr 9th 2012, 18:26

One of your better list, TF. Agree with a majority of them with the exception of Toy Story 2, The Bourne Supremacy and Rocky 3. I think Toy Story 2 was good, but Whedon's absence was obvious, and I think that the wit and charm of the first one wasn't as apparent in the sequel. Bourne Supremacy is a strong film, i can see why someone would put it up there with the first one, but I felt that The Bourne Ultimatum was the better sequel. It's somehow even more fast paced and just an incredibly stronger action film. Like the others said, I think that all the Rocky sequels are comparable, but I would have went with Rocky 4 or Balboa. Good list overall, though.

• tomp1000

Apr 9th 2012, 20:43

How in gods name was Attack of the clones better than A phantom menace? granted phantom menace was terrible but it had some redeeming qualities such as darth maul, epic lightsaber duels and not staring hayden christensen

• GFoley83

Apr 9th 2012, 22:15

A decent list indeed but there are a few that I would disagree with (which is only natural of course). I honestly don't see how anyone could say Batman Returns was an better picture than Batman. Honestly now. I can understand T1 v T2, Alien v Aliens, LOTR v LOTR: TT etc as they're pretty close in terms of quality but nothing in Batman Return comes within a hairs breath of Jack Nicholson's performance.

• joker16

Apr 10th 2012, 3:45

"It was an abortion, Michael!"

• retrorevival

Apr 10th 2012, 10:43

ha! As anyone actually watched Aliens recently? do you not realise how terrible that movie actually is? Action, Dialogue, Atmosphere, Acting - it's awful. Bill Paxton practically ruins the entire movie by himself. Cameron couldn't direct his way out of a shoe box. And no. Toy Story 2 is no where near as good as Toy Story. Toy Story 3 is better than 2. And as much as I adore Guillermo Del Toro - Blade 2 is not as good as Blade (still one of the better modern vampire movies ever made) and no. no Final Destination movie should ever be on any list - ever. By putting one of it's sequels here you're saying that the first in the series was somehow worth mentioning at all - no. worst series ever.

• duckofdeath73

Apr 10th 2012, 13:14

retrorevival - your views about Aliens -hahahahahahahahahahahahahhhahaaaa. I watched it last week and it is still one of the greatest movies ever . Bugger off and watch Stephen Dorff turn into a giant f*****g ribena berry.

• ChrisWootton

Apr 10th 2012, 14:04

Die Hard with a Vengeance better than Die Hard? Are you quite sure about that? Lethal Weapon 2 better than Lethal Weapon? Thought TF were going to get a severe backlash about these but amazingly everyone agrees? Genuinely shocked

• RaveyDaveyGravy

Apr 10th 2012, 15:57

Dont agree with too many on this list. Its been written to create debate, which it seems to have done successfully. Alien and Aliens are different both equally brilliant. All Toy Storys are equal in quality. Die Hard is much superior to all its sequels, Terminator changed everything, creating multiple copies, T2 was summer action fun no more. Ill stop now. "King" of Cinema, thats why people think your a knob

• MoodyMonkey

Apr 10th 2012, 16:28

I think this list should have been called '50 worthy follow ups' but then we wouldn't have anything to debate about would we? Alien>Aliens, T1>T2, Die Hard>Die Hard 3, Lethal Weapon>Lethal Weapon 2, etc but seriously Daildab? Critters better than Gremlins? Alien Resurrection better than Alien? you are of course entitled to your opinion and i am taking the bait but please explain these choices WITHOUT calling me names or saying its just your opinion. bet you cant.

• MoodyMonkey

Apr 10th 2012, 17:49

As for the Alien vs Aliens debate, i prefer Alien but its a moot point for me. Alien is one the greatest horror movies ever made and Aliens is one the greatest action movies ever made i just cant compare them.

• MrScary

Apr 10th 2012, 18:35

TheKingofCinema, Let me know when you finally get some fuzz on your sack. Based on your opinions, grammar, LOL's, and use of curse words (oooooohhh, scary) you're still riding the short bus to school.

• cc1129

Apr 11th 2012, 4:39

The Richard Lester version of Superman 2 better than the original? Really?

Apr 11th 2012, 12:12

Erm..pubes on your c*ck? You wanna see a doctor about that..

• KerrAvon

Apr 11th 2012, 13:56

Some good suggestions here. Especially Before Sunset which now that I'm older is heartbreaking at times. There's a rumour going round they are going to make another one in which case I look forward to understanding and relating to that movie when I'm in my 40's. Nice one TF.

• MrScary

Apr 11th 2012, 18:41

@Hadouken76 - LMAO!!!

• FBJRider

Apr 12th 2012, 17:56

Only problem with this list is Ridley is better than Cameron.

• willow138

Apr 13th 2012, 2:06

hahaha Hadouken is right Bill and Ted deserve a nodd here! Epic movie that is. and American Pie 2 is soooooooooooo much funnier than the first so should get a nodd! other than that agree fully,.HP3 was the best of the lot.

• SixStepSamurai

Apr 15th 2012, 2:17

KingOfCinema's new title should be 'FUZZIE D I C K'.

• TheCandySniper

Aug 22nd 2012, 23:44

I am sorry but anyone who thinks aliens is better than alien is just... Sigh... I don't think the two are comparable alien is by far one of the greatest sci-fi horror flicks of all time. Aliens is just another action movie, not horrible but hardly anything more than passable.

• kimberlygrant

Oct 8th 2012, 10:18

Lethal Weapon II was better than the original? Geez Louise, Lethal Weapon II was the only one in that series that sucked! Star Trek II better than ST:TMP? Big whoop! ST:TMP was an existential MESS! Back to the Future II?Like Lethal Weapon II, this was the only BTTF that sucked! And sorry, CandySniper, but Aliens was MUCH, MUCH better than Alien. Alien has a lot of suspense, but once you know the thing is on board, you might as well just skip to the end, plot-wise. The crew of the Nostromo were helpless against the alien, while Aliens' space marines COULD fight back. That made for a much more interesting movie. Harry Potter 3 was marginally better than 2, but even after all these years, I really resent the BUTCHER JOB the director made of the book.

• tomthomas

Oct 18th 2012, 19:32

How is Silence of the Lambs a sequel to Manhunter? Silence exists within it's own universe, that's why they made Red Dragon in 2003, I think including it here's cheating, it's a reboot, at best.

• scotglynn

Nov 13th 2012, 0:23

Empire as your number 1 pick? Empire doesn't count, it's not a sequel, it's the middle part of a trilogy that had been planned all along. Terminator, Aliens, X Men and Superman, THOSE are the real sequels, all of which I 100% agree surpassed their originals.

• marinaharvey

May 11th 2013, 15:55

On the Lighter side ... The God's Must Be Crazy part two .. was far and above better than the original

• alexcunning

Jan 8th 2014, 17:29

Some of these I'd never heard of, some of them I agree with, but what made me comment was Gremlins 2:The New Batch. In what bizarro universe do you live in that Gremlins is not the superior movie? Gremlins 2 was a spoof of Gremlins.

• alexcunning

Jan 8th 2014, 17:31

Also, while I love the entire Back to the Future franchise, part 2 was awesome simply because it existed and brought us into the future, but in no way is it superior to the first. Not even close.