50 Weirdest VHS Covers

To celebrate the release of horror anthology V/H/S

Latest News

Comments

• spideyg

Jan 15th 2013, 12:28

No, Robocop is not in Robo Vampire. There is, however, a very cheap foam suit equivalent in what is one of Godfrey ho's "finest" hours. The man is a comedy genius. It's just a shame he didn't make comedies.

• RaveyDaveyGravy

Jan 15th 2013, 12:49

ahh the 80s

• TheDigitalZombi

Jan 15th 2013, 13:10

The reason why I still love VHS. You just don't get this quality of cover with a DVD or Blu Ray.

• stuxmusic

Jan 15th 2013, 15:27

For 'The Alternative', you've said 'Why does the man have two right hands?' It's four peoples hands!

• elmonty

Jan 15th 2013, 15:29

According to IMDB, that Troma Nutzoid thing was one of Joan Allen's first roles (second lead, no less). Wow.

• CaptainCrazy

Jan 15th 2013, 15:46

Man, I miss VHS and looking at all these crappy/cool covers in an 80s video store. Also, look up Not Of This Earth (with Traci Lords). I rented that as a kid hoping to see that alien shown on the cover. It was all lies I tells ya.

• AlfredsDream098

Jan 15th 2013, 19:20

Some of these had me on the floor.

• GFoley83

Jan 15th 2013, 20:44

Magic of the Ninja... nearly messed my kacks with that one!

• reggiehammond1

Jan 15th 2013, 21:53

My favourites have to be Destroyer a film about a man with a big drill :-D and Robo Vampire

• FBVAtkins

Jan 16th 2013, 0:18

Personally reckon Crazy Fat Ethel's so crazy because someone mistook her for Meatloaf again.

• MovieMind

Jan 16th 2013, 10:00

Is it me, or is the person on the cover of "It Came From Within" an altered version of the famous photograph "Afghan Girl" taken in 1984 - I am sure of it ... google it? am I nuts? (or just bored)

• ash333

Jan 17th 2013, 10:38

31. Only the 80s would seriously consider the idea that someone would sacrifice their whole family for immortality, because after you've killed your wife and kids the first thing you want is the chance of regretting it for the rest of time..

• darrenseeds

Jan 17th 2013, 10:42

A lot of these brought those old 'Choose Your Own Adventure' Books to mind. Somewhere, at the furthest end of a psychiatric ward of a long forgotten secure unit in a town not on most maps, is a reviewer who actually had to watch all this bilge.

• jasonmatty

Jan 17th 2013, 18:40

Number 23. Did they take that famous National Geographic girl with the pretty eyes and perform some shabby color overlay?

• pomoville

Jan 18th 2013, 6:46

@jasonmatty -- I think you're right about that, they look exactly the same. Movie is from 1975, famous picture from 1985, but the VHS appears to have come out in 2002.

• DravenCage

Jan 19th 2013, 2:23

This took me back to the days of going to the video shop just to see what they had in and then choosing a film you had never heard based solely on the cover and the blurb on the back.... or, if you were lucky, a trailer (with obligatory trailer-voice-over-man) from a previously rented movie. There was no internet and you generally had no clue about a film at all until you watched it. Those were the days.

• FBMStankovic

Jan 19th 2013, 13:14

I wanna watch all of them!!

• paulmitchell

Jan 21st 2013, 12:11

I've seen a lot of these and the covers are usually more entertaining than the films!