50 Worst Horror Movies

Movies with the wrong kind of scary

Comments

• Bandit1

Nov 21st 2011, 7:11

Lots of bad movies here on the list (The Fog, Leprechaun, The Happening), but as a Horror Movie fan there's some I actually quite liked: Far from being a masterpiece, "Halloween 2" had actually its moments and was far better than Zombie's first remake. *Ghost Ship" had some atmosphere and the beginning scene on deck was quite fun. "Dreamcatcher" had a very good first half...after that it was quite a let-down...the book wasn't much better either (love King though). *The Unborn" was pretty creepy...never gonna forget the "dog". "Zombie Strippers" is a guilty pleasure...and what you gonna expect...the title says it all. The Saw-franchise got quite weak in the middle, but the last two parts were actually quite enjoyable. Was fun to see Dr. Gordon again. And "Anaconda" falls under the categorie "It's so bad - it's good". Any movie with an upwards falling waterfall deserves some recognition. Missing here on the list for me would be "Darkness Falls", it didn't bring anything new to the genre and was just not scary or entertaining on any level.

• charolastra22

Nov 21st 2011, 10:15

I genuinely didn't think anyone could claim the remake of The Wicker Man is better than the original and be serious... Oh well. I agree with the majority of this list, they're pretty terrible films. Although Ghost Ship's opening scene is pretty well done. Don't really remember much else about the film, which says a lot I suppose. NOT THE BEEEEEEES!

• Toursiveu

Nov 21st 2011, 10:49

Clearly the good people at Total Film have never watched ANY of the "Howling" sequels. THE worst movie ever made must be "Howling 7 - The New Moon Rising", followed closely by "Howling 2 - Werewolf b***h". Halloween 2 is actually a GREAT film. Not a masterpiece, but watch it again. It is definitely a Rob Zombie film and the most brutal Halloween film of the whole franchise. House of Wax is a well-directed little B movie who's got a bad rep because Paris Hilton's in it. But it's actually way better than some of the terrible found footage turds that are released in theaters (!) today. Brain Damage and Frankenhooker : Frank Henenlotter is a brilliant underground iconoclast director. His movies aren't supposed to be scary, they're supposed to make you laugh. Anaconda is a real guilty pleasure and Jon Voight is fabulous in it! Texas Chainsaw : The Beginning : not great and totally unnecessary but it's not one of the 50 worst horror films ever made. Jesus, there are so many worse films you could have put on this list... Lucio Fulci's Aenigma, one of the worst films ever made, the whole filmography of Bruno Mattei, etc.

• FBPDixon

Nov 21st 2011, 11:54

i have seen much worse horror films than halloween 2 try king of kong island nightmares in a damaged brain the critter films and the new hellraiser for starters

• Heisenberg

Nov 21st 2011, 16:34

how Basket Case never made this i do not know.

• scuzz80

Nov 21st 2011, 20:18

Yes they are terrible but Night of the Lepus and Troll 2 are actually quite funny, yes it's unintentionally but it's still entertaining none the less. I think Bad Biology is a far worse film and almost completely devoid of fun. I also recently seen the Human Centipede 2 and I firmly believe it belongs on this list. A film that literally crapped in the mouth of it's audience if indeed it ever deserved an audience in the first place.

• BowiePie

Nov 21st 2011, 21:51

speaking of uwe boll, i've seen a particularly hideous creation of his called seed, definitely the s**ttest film i have ever seen in my life, trying way to hard to be controversial and over the top violent, because apparently thats how horror films have to be these days! ridiculous... other gems i have seen include jack frost, monster man, campfire stories and a hilarious film called dark floors, where the monsters are played by finnish rock band lordi. thats right, the same lordi that won the eurovision song contest a few years ago! brilliant!!

• lonea

Nov 22nd 2011, 13:28

Feardotcom scared the c**p out of me when i was about twelve!

• Sonicality

Nov 23rd 2011, 14:15

Okay, so Alone in the Dark is a terrible movie, no argument there. But that's not even kind of the plot at all. Seems to me like the person who wrote the article was told to include it but hadn't seen it. And couldn't bother looking it up.

• GREG316

Jun 25th 2012, 23:10

There are so many bad horror movies out there & how they got made is beyond me. Take the Ghoolies franchise a clear rip off of Critters that ripped off Gremlins making the franchise a rip off of a rip off. I'm surprised the re-make of Nightmare on Elm Street wasn't included im the top worst 50 cas it was c**p, why there was a need to re-make a classic horror like this exscapes me. There is nobody on this earth who could live up to Robert Englunds portrale of Freddy. I thought Kathrine Bigalow's Near Dark sucked a*s, it was like watching a train wreck version of Lost Boys. John Carpenters The Ward wasn't scary at all, how come studio's still back his films, I think the geezer has had his time, I was acctualy excited about the release of The Ward, I thought the setting in a mental institute would be perfect for john carpenter to play with, I thought he was gonna shine again, but no, it suckef. More horrors that sucked; HOSTEL 3, ALIEN VS PREDATOR 1 & 2, THE AMITYVILLE SEQUELS, PUPPET MASTER VS DEMONIC TOYS, GROWTH, I'LL ALWAYS KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER, 2001 MANIACS- FIELD OF SCREAMS, . I'm hoping & preying horror will find its way once again, I really do, the genre needs original ifeas not remakes.

• jasonbintz

Oct 27th 2012, 22:09

Oh ok, We need to add "The Stuff"

• nbwisc91

Jun 23rd 2013, 18:56

Ok first off the remake of halloween was way better then the 2nd remake. and 2nd i thought american werewolf is paris rocked! you just need to have taste. I know these things i love hollywood and b flick horror movies!

• josephnewman

Jan 12th 2014, 23:58

Clearly the people at Total film does not watch horror movies and have mistaken some of the best all time films as worest.... Maximum overdrive always will be in the top10 coolest horror films. Halloween 2 also

• josephnewman

Jan 13th 2014, 0:02

The gate, Saw 4, dreamcatcher, anaconda, maximum overdrive, friday the 13th, texas chainsaw, hood of horror, and the happening are all top notch films.

• josephnewman

Jan 13th 2014, 0:03

The entire Leprechaun series is top notch also.