Best & Worst: Harrison Ford

From Indy to, well, Indy

Latest News

Comments

• Porkchopexpress

Aug 19th 2011, 7:58

The film is a bit hit and miss, but Ford's performance in 'Mosquito Coast' is great and his understated performances as Jack Ryan are also worth a mention. 'Apocalypse Now' he's in it for about five minutes as a walking talking piece of exposition, he was better in 'Working Girl'! Also I have a secret fondness for 'Regarding Henry', he's nicely reptilian prior to the fateful gunshot, channelling the spirit of Gordon Gecko. "GET THIS MAN SOME RITZ CRACKERS!"

• ChrisWootton

Aug 19th 2011, 9:48

Regarding Henry is a good film. What Lies Beneath is an excellent film. And if Skulls is so bad why did you give it 3 stars? Oh yeah because you're sell outs.. shameful

• gwales

Aug 19th 2011, 11:15

@porkchopexpress - I was never that enamoured with the Jack Ryan films. Not bad films by any means, just neither best or worst in my opinion. @ChrisWootton - In fairness, I didn't review Crystal Skull. I'm aware that there's something of a bandwagon for slagging it these days, but personally, I just can't stand it. Not many films have me wanting to walk out before the end, but that was one of them.

• ChrisWootton

Aug 19th 2011, 12:00

nice one George, thanks for posting back, much respect. Totally with you on Skulls, apologies for the "sell outs" comment, it's just the sheer mention of that film feels me with a hatred of the movie world that I didn't know was there. But what about What Lies Beneath? I thought that was a cracking movie, still good after several viewings

• BobbyTwoTimes

Aug 19th 2011, 12:15

I see dalidab is still a smackhead then! What about Air Force One? Clear And Present Danger?

• ChrisWootton

Aug 19th 2011, 12:25

dalidab... sorry, I don't get it? I haven't made any comment about you on this thread.. and especially nothing about you being George Lucas. Ah wait, I was replying to George Wales who wrote this feature

• FBARichards

Aug 19th 2011, 13:26

How can you leave Frantic out. It is a classic, manneristic Ford performance and an odd but fulfilling film. And although the pacing and plotting of Hollywood Homicide is shocking, Ford again is absolutely terrific in it, the bike scene, the doughnut/sunglasses sex scene. viewed as a comedy H.H. is fantastic. I was always a little underwhelmed by Witness, some real 'cheese' in that too.

• gwales

Aug 19th 2011, 13:41

@ChrisWootton No problem mate. As for What Lies Beneath, I always found it a bit too hysterical for my liking. I remember hoping for more of a psychodrama feel and being slightly irked by the constant jump-scares. It's quite good ghost-train fun I suppose, but I don't really rate it as a thriller.

• ChrisWootton

Aug 19th 2011, 13:58

Fair point George. I always saw it as popcorn scary fun.. Zemekis filmed it whilst waiting for Tom Hanks to lose (or was it gain?) weight for Castaway and I guess it does show. The only thing that bugs me about it is the constant (and as you say poorly done) homages to Hitchcock.. Raiders is his finest hour I think, a truly brilliant film.

Aug 19th 2011, 18:30

I dont think theres a bandwagon for slagging off Skulls, I reckon people genuinely felt it was a missed opportunity and an over-reliance on CGI...and BAD CGI at that. Can you imagine how bad Raiders would of looked with a CGI boulder, CGI tomb of snakes, CGI Nazi-death-by-Ark? Lucas is a one-hit wonder with no writing skills, even Lawrence Kasdans' The Empire strikes back is considered a better Star Wars film than Star Wars.

• StevePotter

Aug 19th 2011, 19:30

Oh, ha ha, let's make fun of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull AND the Star Wars prequels while we're at it. Very original, guys. And really?! Regarding Henry is on your worst list?! For shame, Total Film, for shame.

• MikeyRix

Aug 20th 2011, 13:16

@StevePotter "Crystal Skull" was utter bollocks, even on its own as a film. So it's extremely easy and not at all un-bandwaggon-y to make fun of it ^^

• WIP3OUT

Aug 20th 2011, 20:45

I thought that whilst Crystal Skull was a bad film it wasn't Harrison's fault for it being bad. I'd pin all the films issues on Spielberg's innability to stop George Lucas from cramming aliens into the bloody film. They should have just made an adventure seeking Atlantis or something that is equally as mythical and non preposterous.

• deedeedragons

Aug 21st 2011, 10:44

Temple of Doom is horrible, it's really not much better then Crystal Skull.

• Matt164

Aug 22nd 2011, 14:42

Where the hell is air force one? That was a brilliant film.

• JDogg1982

Aug 22nd 2011, 17:59

C'mon... You've got Patriot Games and Air Force One missing. Two brilliant films!!

• Igrayne

Aug 22nd 2011, 20:19

Anyone who stuck up for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull here, you should not even be permitted to comment on film. Not only did it destroy one of the only two perfect trilogies, not only did South Park dedicate a whole episode to how awful it was but even the BLOODY SOUNDTRACK WAS c**p, IDIOTS.

• StevePotter

Aug 23rd 2011, 22:47

@Igrayne Because as we all know South Park is the PINNACLE of good taste and intelligence.