Our Top Ten Films Of The Decade

TF staff share their lists...

Sam Ashurst - Digital Features Editor

4. Almost Famous
5. Amelie
6. Moulin Rouge!
7. Pan's Labyrinth
8. Monsters Inc.
9. Coraline (in 3D)
10. O Brother Where Art Thou?

Ben Chapman - Digital Designer

6. Anchorman
7. Grizzly Man
8. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
9. Children Of Men
10. Team America: World Police

Ceri Thomas - Contributing Editor

1. O Brother Where Art Thou?

2. Spider-Man 2

5. Dodgeball
6. Moulin Rouge!
7. Gladiator
8. Brokeback Mountain
9. Castaway
10. Casino Royale

Thoughts? Agree/disagree? Now tell us your favourites...

Comments

• darjeelingmike

Nov 27th 2009, 20:02

Mr Jamie Russell - excellent calls on DiG! and Way Of The Gun, two highly underrated film. The gun battle at the end of Way Of The Gun is one of my favorites of all time, not as keen on the film as a whole to put it in a Top 10 Of The Decade though. Generally glad to see There Will Be Blood at No.1 a few times, it is a masterpiece. Also big thumbs up to Elena, Dan and Andy for including Let The Right One In, my No.1 from this decade and in fact ever! If anyone else included it and I missed that, I apologise. From your lists I also love The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford, The Royal Tenenbaums, The Wrestler and Zodiac. Top notch lists :)

• DanielMcA

Nov 27th 2009, 20:52

F**king Castaway? Jebus Sarah do you even like cinema? Also, have you been reading each other's lists, there are soo many mundane repetitions? The Wrestler is one of the most over-rated films of the last few years.

• liamegan

Nov 27th 2009, 23:47

Some fantastic films, I'm glad to see that Memento and Eternal Sunshine is so highly ranked. Two films I've found difficult selling to friends. I'm glad to see Spiderman 2 also got a mention, definitely the most authentic of the trilogy and of most Marvel films released. Contrary to DanielMcA I think The Wrestler is incredible, and perhaps may not have the lasting power of films it emulates in format, it still deserves ranking in the top 10.

• ChosenOne88

Nov 28th 2009, 0:07

OK I agree with most of the choices but I've just one question; Where is Wall-E???

• magicwings

Nov 28th 2009, 12:16

Wow, what a great selection of movies :D I'm just shocked that City of God only appeared twice. For me, it's the best film of the decade, hands down.

• jeffamania

Nov 28th 2009, 22:07

Hey Guys, no fair... how come you all get like 10 choices...but we only get to pick 3...it was tough but I had to pick the ones with the most impact for me and people around me at the time 1. The Dark Knight (amazing movie and only comic movie to really eclipse Superman'78 after 31 yrs) 2. Gladiator - great opening, great lines.. 3. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragan ...opened up a whole new genre to the west Now its gets tough.. 4.Lord of the Rings Trilogy ( I cant choose one out of the 3) 5. No Country for Old men (just an amazing movie) 6. Pan's Labrinth (visuals, characters,plot were all top notch!) 7. Minority Report (Spielberg's best movie of the decade without doubt, forget the boring catch me if you can) 8. Spiderman 2 (best straight out blockbuster) 9. Kill Bill Vol 1 (Tranatino's visually most striking movie) 10. Pirates of the Caribbean (CotBP)- pure undiluted fun, great and perfect cast with created one of cinema's greatest characters close but no cigar X-men 2, momento, there will be blood, borat,saw, ring, drag me to hell,

• lotusbalth

Nov 29th 2009, 10:03

The Grudge , The Ring , Pans labyrinth , Zodiac , Brokeback Mountain , Summer of Sam , Ichy the killer , Oldboy , Infernal affairs , Batman Begins , there's my top ten

• itchy

Nov 29th 2009, 12:52

er... WALL.E?!?! come on now. second act is somewhat of a let down to be fair but i still cant believe its not even mentioned. i'm finding it so hard to create a list.

• AlonseR

Nov 29th 2009, 13:27

TOTALLY agree with Jonathan Dean's choices. I love Donnie Darko so much. I've watched it more times than any other film and I can still enjoy it.

Nov 29th 2009, 17:59

1) Gladiator 2) The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy 3) The Dark Knight 4) Anchorman 5) WallE 6) Kill Bill Vol 1 7) Memento 8) Donnie Darko 9) Shaun Of The Dead 10) City Of God

Nov 29th 2009, 18:05

Zodiac for me is the most underrated film of the decade.

• mallardb

Nov 30th 2009, 15:04

Wow 121 different movies quoted in total! Great to see Memento, LOTR and The Divingbell and the Butterfly. Would have liked to see The Prestige though.

• metalgatesolid

Nov 30th 2009, 21:48

Good to see so many Disney/Pixar films in your lists.But Finding Nemo and Monsters Inc over WALL E? WALL E must be the greatest CG film ever. Glad to see Dodgeball on a list too. It is by far the funniest film since Austin Powers. Id also like to put Tropic Thunder in there. Love that film!!!

• ManMadeMonkey

Dec 1st 2009, 0:52

It has been a pretty good decade and I ain't gonna comment on what movies you've chose it is your personal opinion after all (I do though have to mention metalgatesolid, you love Tropic Thunder? That is the worst movie of the decade. I hate people that do this usually but Tropic Thunder is so bad it turns me into one of these a*****es) Also is the Bourne Trilogy one selection or are they all separate cos it's hard to choose just one of them?

• metalgatesolid

Dec 1st 2009, 8:37

ManMadeMonkey If i really thought about it Tropic Thinder wouldnt make my top 10 list. In my opinion its up there with Dodgeball for comedy films of the decade. I believe it can work on two levels (action/comedy). Its stupid and i have an imature sence of humour, hence me liking Dodgeball!

• tummidge

Dec 1st 2009, 12:17

Delighted to see Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter ...and Spring and Memories of Murder in there. Very overlooked Korean films. Love Oldboy too. My top ten in no order are Brokeback Mountain, Oldboy, There Will Be Blood, SSAW...and Spring, The Dark Knight, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, Donnie Darko, 2046, LOTR and Lost in Translation. I reckon I could pick even more than that, but 10 is what we have.

• phillipgibb

Dec 1st 2009, 17:41

talk about different states ;) guess I am gonna have to watch Brokeback Mountain and There Will Be Blood after all - ha ha ha. But are we talking films we think were great or films that have been game changes? important films?

• ManMadeMonkey

Dec 1st 2009, 21:38

metalgatesolid I too love Dodgeball just behind Anchorman and Talladega Nights as my favourite stupid type of comedies, I have an immature sense of humour too but Tropic Thunder just didn't do it for me, an extreme disappointment.

• RichOfSpirit

Dec 2nd 2009, 0:14

I'm glad to see Yi Yi getting some love along with Mulholland Drive, but I'm a bit disappointed that City of God wasn't featured more prominently because, as was said before, I feel it is the best movie of the decade.

• SarahT

Dec 2nd 2009, 12:39

Hey DanielMcA Castaway is a great Hanks classic - a great example of how one person can carry a film basically on his own and not need a cast of thousands to be a success. Yes, I do like cinema and would love to see your list too!

• metalgatesolid

Dec 2nd 2009, 21:12

My top 10 movies... 10) No Coutry for Old Men 9) Die hard 4 8) Collateral 7) Iron Man 6) Napoleon Dynamite 5) Shaun Of the Dead 4) Dead Mans Shoes 3) Oldboy 2) WALL E 1) Kung Fu Hustle

• DanielMcA

Dec 2nd 2009, 23:04

Hey SarahT Great isn't enough. There have been a couple of hundred great films released in the last nine or ten years. Besides, I doubt Tom Hanks would include any Tom Hanks film in his top ten nevermind Castaway. But since you've shown me yours I'll show you mine. I'll have a go at a list but it's not in any order: -Amelie -Punch Drunk Love -28 Days Later -Borat -The Lives of Others -City of God -Juno -Children of Men -The Squid and the Whale -Requiem for a Dream

• Muthaucka

Dec 4th 2009, 0:02

Hey just wanted to say I have to agree with Man mademonkey on the issue of the truly awful, awful film that was Tropic Thunder. Never have I seriously thought about what death would be like when watchig a film. Dodgeball, talledaga nights, anchorman all immature movies as you say monkey man but all hilarious, unlike Tropic Thunder.

• plyvsct

Dec 4th 2009, 13:13

Lord of the Rings - trilogy - need I say more The Dark Knight Almost Famous Finding Nemo - The best animated film in ages, and much better the Wall-E City of God Dodgeball - dodge, duck, dip, dive and ... Dodge Requiem for a Dream - the best movie I never want to see again Pirates of the Carribean - a movie based on a theme-park ride, is that not a first Dawn of the Dead - bring on the remakes Zombieland

• daiz18

Dec 4th 2009, 14:41

1. Donnie Darko 2. Superbad 3. Up 4. The 40-year-old Virgin 5. Inglourious Basterds 6. Juno 7. Memento 8. The Mist 9. Brokeback Mountain 10. The Prestige

• howlingwoolf

Dec 4th 2009, 16:22

How people can put superhero sequels in the top 10 of a decade of films is beyond me...and Die Hard 4.0? Metalgatesolid you should be shot. 1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 2. Donnie Darko 3. 28 Days Later 4. Children of Men 5. Shaun of the Dead 6. Almost Famous 7. Sin City 8. Gladiator 9. Memento 10. Adaptation Runner Ups: Superbad, Wonderboys, High Fidelity, Bourne Identity, Once, Amores Perros, Lost in Translation, One Hour Photo, In to the Wild

• Nickey09

Dec 4th 2009, 20:29

in no particular order... and the ones off the top of my head currently... JUNO HARD CANDY APOCALYPTO NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN BRICK WALLACE & GROMIT: THE CURSE OF THE WERERABBIT THE CURSE OF THE GOLDEN FLOWER FIDO GARDEN STATE s****h SIN CITY THE DARK KNIGHT LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE CHANGELING

• Nickey09

Dec 4th 2009, 20:31

they "bleeped" the 2000 Guy Ritchie film staring Jason Statham???

• metalgatesolid

Dec 4th 2009, 21:35

howlingwoolf You have a think i should be shot as i enjoyed Die hard 4 that much its in my top 10? You have Sin City. Good as Sin City is, I didnt find it worth my top 10. Top 10 films dont have to be films with artistic merit or originality. I can turn my brain off for Die Hard 4 and watch an old man run, shoot and jump about. Just once and a while I want to be able to turn off.

• metalgatesolid

Dec 4th 2009, 21:38

howlingwoolf - Sin City? Really? Just cause of the artistic merit theres a reason it isnt in my top 10. Die hard 4 is a no brainer film. At least one film in every ones top 10 should be like that. Unless you dont enjoy brainless fun.

• mrblonde

Dec 5th 2009, 1:40

Good selection of films chosen by the Total Film Staff for their individual top 10 lists. Looking forward to Where The Wild Things Are even more than I was before, seeing as a few of you think it's one of the top 10 films of the decade. My personal top 10 films of the decade are:- 1) Pan's Labyrinth 2) The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy 3) Oldboy 4) Gladiator 5) No Country For Old Men 6) The Dark Knight 7) Memento 8) American Beauty 9) There Will Be Blood 10) Spiderman 2

• cukoonest

Dec 5th 2009, 18:22

1)The Prestige 2)The Dark Knight 3)The Gladiator 4)Inglourious Basterds 5)The Departed 6)Gangs of New York 7)There will be blood 8)No Country of old men 9)Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl 10)Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

• arpymo

Dec 6th 2009, 17:15

1) Kill Bill Vol.1- saw it opening day, the next day, took a day off, then saw it the next. 2) Kill Bill Vol.2- saw 3 times in one week. 3) Moulin Rouge!- brought back the musical 4) Mulholland Drive- still haven't put it all together yet. Mesmerizing 5) Sin City- most like a comic than any comic book ever! 6) Royal Tenenbaums- lotsa laughs, lotsa heart. 7) Memento- had to go to sleep immediately afterwards when I discovered that I couldn't process information without regressing in time. 8) Team America: World Police- funniest movie ever. I cry every time I watch this send-up of the Bush administration. 9) Ghost World- reminds me of my daughter. 10) Requiem for a Dream- Brutal! Almost making the cut- minority Report, The Man Who Wasn't There, The Ring, Shaun of the Dead and King Kong. Amazingly, I haven't seen Inglourius Basterds yet.

• tomsever

Dec 6th 2009, 21:48

Making the decision for Top 3 is really hard, but my top 3 is Borat The departed Benjamine Button Anyone thinks the slumdog millionaire,Harry Brown,Star Trek (2009), 40 year old virgin, Gladiator, Troy should be included in top 10?

• metalgatesolid

Dec 6th 2009, 22:33

tomsever 40 year old virgin? My personal opinion is that it wasnt the best comedy of the decade. Troy no way should be on anyones list. It wants to be gladiator but really cant be. And i dont see why Borat is in peoples lists. Funny but no where near the hype.

• RoryMcD596

Dec 22nd 2010, 12:52

1) District 9 2) Shaun of the Dead 3) Step Brothers 4) The Dark Knight 5) Apocalypto 6) 28 Days Later 7) The Hangover 8) Se7en 9) j*****s 2 10) LOTR Trilogy

• josesouza

Mar 8th 2013, 23:36

the decade best: 1- requiem for a dream 2- the dark knight 3- mulholland dr 4- kill bill vol.1 (and 2, was meant to be one movie) 5- memento 6- the departed 7- oldboy 8- eternal sunshine of the spotless mind 9- inglorious basterds 10- dogville