The 20 Greatest Child Performances

No naughty step for these precocious anklebiters...

Latest News

Comments

Dec 9th 2009, 12:49

where for art thou Jodie Foster in Taxi Driver? Tatum O'Neal who won an oscar for paper moon? David Bennet in the Tin Drum?

• MarkPowell

Dec 9th 2009, 13:09

All good shouts Hadouken76, gotta make the cut somewhere though! ;) Tatum is the only Oscar winner younger than Anna Paquin, I think. I also really wanted to include David Bradley as Billy Casper in Kes, but again, only so much room...

• ChrisWootton

Dec 9th 2009, 13:39

Definitely good shouts, I'd totally agree with David Bradley.

• Rickie-Balboa

Dec 9th 2009, 14:06

I thought that the leads from Let the right one in would have been worthy of a mention on this list, truly touching performances from kids who required a huge range.

• Rickie-Balboa

Dec 9th 2009, 14:14

I honestly expected to see the leads from 'Let the right one in' on the list. A great range required of 2 actors who seem to be mature beyond their years.

• daveroper

Dec 9th 2009, 14:15

Agree with Hadouken76 and would add Kirsten Dunst in Interview with the Vampire.

• TheCrooze

Dec 9th 2009, 14:48

I was waiting for Elijah Wood.

• Jrdnsans1792

Dec 9th 2009, 16:46

All good choices but i think Thomas Turgoose from 'This Is England' should be in there somewhere.

• ChristoLaurent

Dec 9th 2009, 18:05

I agree totally with Jrdnsans1792...Thomas Turgoose was exceptional in This is England. I have to say I was surprised by some of the omissions, for me personally the greatest child performance is that of Aleksei Kravchenko in the masterpiece Come and See (Idi i smotri). Also, I would include Nikolay Burlyaev in Ivans Childhood. Also some of the kids from City of God are mightily impressive, especially the scene when the young lad gets shot in the foot. Huzzah!

• DanRose

Dec 9th 2009, 20:57

I was going to say 'Let the Right One In' kids and Thomas Turgoose is a great shout.

• Buried At Sea

Dec 9th 2009, 21:10

this list is a fail.

• BazVanderClap

Dec 9th 2009, 23:59

Ivana Baquero - Pan's Labyrinth. The girl was 12 years old, for Christ's sake!

• heelsgone

Dec 10th 2009, 13:58

fact that the kids from city of god weren't included, porves its a blatant attempt at plugging a film thats not out yet

• mrblonde

Dec 10th 2009, 15:13

Very suprised that Ivana Baquero and Lina Leandersson didn't make the list for their performances in Pan's Labyrinth and Let The Right One In respectively.I thought Both were amazing and are my 2 top picks for best child performances in a film. Glad to see both Christian Bale and Natalie Portman make the list, both of whom would have been at the top of my list before I see Ivana and Lina's performances. Can't speak for Max Records perfornmance yet, but judging from what I've seen of him in trailers and clips of Where The Wild Things Are, I'm sure he gives a tremendous performance.I also agree that Jodie Foster, Kirsten Dunst and Thomas Turgoose all deserved a place on the list.

• fezdaferret

Dec 10th 2009, 16:41

What about Mara Wilson in Ms Doubtfire or Dakota Fanning in Man On Fire?

• StuntmanSam

Dec 10th 2009, 21:34

Ivana Baquero definitely deserved to be in there, put her in number one and take out Max Records

• metalgatesolid

Dec 10th 2009, 23:50

What about the girl from The Exorcist? She made that film terrifing!!!!

• disappointed

Dec 11th 2009, 14:50

I was expecting to see every performance by a child actor ever in this list. I'm disappointed.

• DravenCage

Dec 11th 2009, 18:43

No love for the cast of Bugsy Malone makes me a sad Scotsman.

• Gideon05

Jan 3rd 2010, 5:52

What about Carrie Henn from aliens? I thought she did a very good job as newt in the film. "They mostly come out at night, mostly"

• CiaraSherry

Jan 12th 2010, 20:06

The only thing I think is missing here is Dakota Fanning in War of the Worlds -- Inspiring!

• donnelly95

Apr 19th 2010, 3:39

abigail breslin should surely be somewhere on this list?

• BogdanZ

Aug 14th 2011, 15:55

good list! but: if you include the children from "the others", you should mention the kids, especially the boy in "the innocents" - his performance was really impressive. agree with people on pan's labirynth, let the right one in, kirsten dunst... and i would also like to see others on the list - like, for instance, the kid in 'bycicle thieves', the kid in 'the kid', they were very good too

• FBLKocsis

Nov 11th 2011, 18:42

Aleksey Kravchenko in 'Come and See'? Breathless performance and a haunting movie.