50 Best Westerns

Yeeha!

Latest News

Comments

• Ichi1

May 27th 2014, 19:24

I don't know man....I find The Searchers to just be wildly overrated. I just don't get it. And it is the obvious choice...its almost seems arbitrary. To me, there are only two possible movies that could hope to top a list of greatest westerns. Once Upon A Time in the West 1 or 2 days a week and The Wild Bunch the other 5. If The Searches had any lunch money, The Wild Bunch would steal it every day.

• vinnym1980

May 28th 2014, 21:10

the only older westerns i like was the clint eastwood ones, john wayne is c**p he can't act to save his life. the others on this list i probably couldn't get through. im not big fan of westerns but i liked the good the bad and the ugly, high plains drifter, unforgiven and the newer 3:10 to yuma.

• QuietLife

May 29th 2014, 7:57

High Plains Drifter rules! Such a standout. I too don't rate John Wayne but I guess I never really saw many until I was older and his acting is a rather acquired taste. You can't beat the Spaghetti Trilogy for me though.

• philwbayles

May 30th 2014, 11:23

Some great choices, and some unknowns to add to my "To Watch" list - was surprised not to see at least one part of the Dollars Trilogy in the Top 5, and even more surprised that Blazing Saddles didn't make the cut - though I suppose a comedy might have seemed out of place here.

• stormtrooper

May 30th 2014, 11:35

Is Tombstone not considered a Western? What about Lonesome Dove? I personally think both of them should be in the top 10. I like these lists but sometimes i wonder about these guys.

• DravenCage

May 30th 2014, 12:28

Where the f*ck is Young Guns?

• Monkeyboy1138

May 30th 2014, 12:58

Stormtrooper, just want to point out Lonesome Dove isn't a western movie, it was a TV mini series........but if it were spliced together as a film, sure it should definately be on the list.

• BobbyTwoTimes

May 30th 2014, 13:45

Open Range? True Grit? (Coen's version) The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada? Appaloosa? Tombstone? Seraphim Falls? Wyatt Earp? I appreciate that Westerns are generally thought of as "old films", but i think it show's slightly bad form that any efforts past about the mid-90's have been dismissed from this list altogether.

• rickreny

May 30th 2014, 19:39

I agree with the others on the glaring omission of many excellent post-90's western films. Tombstone, 3:10 to Yuma, Appaloosa, Wyatt Earp, the True Grit remake, and Silverado all deserve a high placing on this list. Also lets not forget the excellent animated films Feivel goes west, and Rango.

• nolandbell

May 30th 2014, 20:07

Wait a sec: You list "Dances With Wolves" and neglect its far, far superior source film, Sam Fuller's Run of the Arrow? ENTIRE LIST INVALIDATED!

• bleezy25

May 31st 2014, 3:05

Interesting list, though I've always found "The Searchers" to be overrated. I've never found Ethan's moral turn at the end to be convincing. The film builds to complete moral corrosion before deciding at the last minute to be redemptive. I was also hoping to see "Duck, you Sucker" and (especially) "The Proposition" on here, but I'm glad "Meek's Cutoff" made it in.

• derekcahill

May 31st 2014, 5:56

Can't believe Tombstone didn't get a mention.

• wtodd57

Jun 1st 2014, 20:47

Check out the mega bonuses *** FREE UNLIMITED LEADS *** Turn $12 BECOMES $4000 PER WEEK! 100% Profitable!! Get immediate access to our entire course right now to discover an easy system that will give you the potential to make... $300 A Day and even more! =============== >>>>>>> w­w­­w­.­b­a­y­9­1­.­C­ℴ­M

• apo1978

Jun 2nd 2014, 12:58

I know its not strictly a western, but would've liked to see WestWorld in there.

• Bennyj75

Jun 5th 2014, 12:27

Where's Soldier Blue????

• Igrayne

Jun 6th 2014, 19:24

The Searchers is good but it should be more about fifteen or eighteen, The Wild Bunch and The Good the Bad and the Ugly are by far the most impressive and stylish character and story driven westerns ever. The Big Country and How the West Was Won were big piles of nonsense and to put Dances with Wolves in there and not Seraphim Falls or Open Rage or Tombstone is unforgivable. Nice to see The Big Sky get a mention although it is not actually technically a western and if it is then so is Northwest Passage and Last of the Mohicans both of which should be in there. Stop accusing Cameron of ripping off Dances with Wolves that story had been done a hundred times before, Costner ripped off A Man Called Horse if that is the case another film which should have been here.