The Amazing Spider-Man: 50 Key Moments

Warning! Major spoilers ahead...

Latest News

Comments

• MikeyRix

Jul 9th 2012, 8:11

RE #43: Be glad it was "Hidden Track" off "X&Y", rather than one of Coldplay's massively overplayed singles! Also, I liked the use of that song. Lyrically, it fitted that sequence perfectly. 'Twas rather sweet.

• ChrisWootton

Jul 9th 2012, 10:08

Quite an odd choice for a feature.. are you going to do this with all new films? Is it some kind of credit crunch idea to save us money?

• ChrisWootton

Jul 9th 2012, 12:26

And stop slagging off the Raimi films and Rosemary Harris. It's boring, she was good. You even featured her in one of the (probably) 50 greatest Spiderman moments.

• gwales

Jul 9th 2012, 13:28

I think the Raimi films are pretty good by and large, I just don't like Rosemary Harris as Aunt May. Horses for courses.

• petethejakey

Jul 9th 2012, 13:39

The basketball scene was straight out of 17 Again...

• SiMan

Jul 9th 2012, 17:02

Just seen the film and thought it was good...but only 'good'. Not spectacular or Amazing, but not the travesty it potentially could have been either. I think they should have tied it into the other Marvel films' universe to make the whole idea of needing a reeboot justifiable (I know there are issues over rights and what-not) - but Raimi's original is too recent in the memory. I felt i was comparing every major plot point's execution to Raimi's version. Some things were done better - Spideys movement and fighting style for one, but others weren't much of an improvement at all. Oh, and the score - absolutely horrible. Has to be one of the worst of recent blockbusters.

• gwales

Jul 9th 2012, 17:10

@SiMan - absolutely agree on the score. It says something for how bad it is when you actively notice its shortcomings. Frustrating, when you think how much Hans Zimmer has added to the Bat films.

• MikeyRix

Jul 9th 2012, 18:43

@gwales @SiMan - but then Horner would get criticised for copying Zimmer if the former went down the path of the latter, no? I quite liked the score. No, not as brooding/ epic as Zimmer's Bat-scores, but that's a good thing, surely.

• SiMan

Jul 9th 2012, 22:37

@MikeyRix - you're right, if horner had tried to emulate what Zimmer did he would have been critisized for it, but that doesn't mean he couldn't have come up with his own style. There wasn't even a recogniseable theme tune for Spidey that he created. As stated above, it's also a bad thing when you sit watching a movie and can't help but notice how out of sinc the soundtrack seems.

• ChrisWootton

Jul 10th 2012, 8:17

"It says something for how bad it is when you actively notice its shortcomings." Is that about the film or just the soundtrack? Sounds like you're referring to the film which is why I'm baffled at this feature in general.

• gwales

Jul 10th 2012, 8:30

@ChrisWootton - I was talking about the shortcomings of the score. @MikeyRix - Yeah, fair point. I wouldn't really want another Batman theme, just something that makes a similar impact. Not that I'm suggesting it's easy!

• ChrisWootton

Jul 10th 2012, 8:40

Cool, thanks for clarifying

• Impulse

Jul 11th 2012, 6:01

I've seen this film twice now and absolutely love it. I went back to check it out in 3d and was pleasantly suprised how good they used it, given im not a big lover of 3d. Totally disagree about the fight scenes being underwhelming. I thought they were perfectly done, especially how they showed the way spiderman fought and moved against the Lizard. The scene in the school was the best bit for me, it was just like something out of the comic, spiderman firing wise a*s remarks at the lizard as he's getting pummelled. I think there is alot of jumping on the bandwagon of hate for this movie. So what if its a reboot, its a much better start to the series than raimi managed.

• Jambon

Jul 13th 2012, 22:58

I saw it in IMAX 3D and the final battle with the Lizard which was shot in full IMAX is stunning - I felt like I was Spider-Man as he swung towards the tower! The last scenes of Spidey doing his closing web slinging were also in that format and were a real rush, especially the iconic moment referred to here. I love the original trilogy and was pretty dismissive of the need to reboot only five years after the last film but I was really impressed. The chemistry between Peter and Gwen is perfect, Spidey is wise cracking and it has plenty of heart. I hope that with the rebooted origin story out of the way, they can really go for it in the second film as Sam Raimi was able to do in his trilogy. Haters gonna hate but as a former cynic I can honestly say it is amazing. No pun intended. Nah, who am I kidding, it was...thank you and goodnight.

• prime43

Jul 15th 2012, 19:16

I loved The Amazing Spider-Man it was... well Amazing! The fight scenes and the 3D were fantastic and Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone, Rhys Ifans, Dennis Leary, Sally Fields and Martin Sheen delivered amazing performances. I actually can't wait for the sequel!