The Friday Question

Do you care about the Watchmen squid?

The first geek reviews of Watchmen have been unleashed on the internet this week and the topic on everyone's lips? The end.

If you haven't read the comic, look away now. Still here? Then you'll know that Alan Moore's opus ends with a four-colour monstrosity invading New York, a giant (supposedly) alien squid that unites humanity and brings about world peace.

It's all part of Ozymandias' grand plan of course. But Zach Snyder considers himself smarter than the cleverest man on earth and has removed the alien menace from the master-plan, pinning the planet-threat on Dr Manhattan instead.

Does the new ending work? Would the squid have looked silly onscreen, or was it an essential part of the intricate original plot?

Discuss and debate with us below!

Comments

• scabo33

Oct 24th 2008, 11:43

dont worry...he was just testing the waters....he will change it again! :P if not we will go to the matresses!!!

• Snuggly

Oct 24th 2008, 12:16

The squid was always a total WTF moment in the book; I imagine on screen even moreso. I do not object per se, but I imagine the nuke ending they're apparently going with will be a lot less jaw-dropping than ol' Squiddy was. Also, it lets them remove a lot of the smaller storylines - missing artists etc. Anything that makes it more manageable is probably a good thing.

• Ianr62

Oct 24th 2008, 13:33

I love Watchmen and have read the comic a number of times. In all honesty I have alot of reservations as to what the final cut of the film will turn out like. The trailer looks spot on, however Zack Snyder is still learning his trade and this is a massive project to undertake. The monster at the end of the comic was awsome and unexpected, why oh why can filmakers not trust the big nasty audience to go with the original concept as it was intended? I hope it's just to keep spoilers at bay and the squid makes an appearance but im doubtful. Im still making a note in my diary to get a first view in when its officially realeased in the uk though!!

• AYBGerrardo

Oct 24th 2008, 13:53

I'm a biiig Watchmen fan and I adore the squid in the book...I very much want to see it in the film but its not 100% essential... What's needed is some sort of threat that can only be perceived as alien. It's rumoured that Dr Manhattan will be framed in the film, that's not acceptable.

• sashurst

Oct 24th 2008, 17:29

It's a tough one, you can see why they had to get rid of the squid, but AYBGerrardo's right - Dr Manhattan isn't an acceptable replacement; he's so associated with the States he wouldn't have the humanity uniting ability of an alien threat - Russia would simply blame the US for his actions. Also, every event in Moore's original plot is like a different part of a complex clock - take out any of the cogs and the hands stop moving. Still, we'll reserve judgement until we see it. And we can't wait to see it.

• alowe

Oct 24th 2008, 17:34

He could have changed it to a really muscle-bound, gay octopus...

• squirebrown

Oct 24th 2008, 22:40

what's the point if you dont use the squid? i just hope it's an altenative ending

• squirebrown

Oct 24th 2008, 22:44

p.s. more worrying for me was the matthew goode inteview in TF a couple of months ago where he said he was giving Ozymandias a Nazi-German backstory...Where TF did they get that one from?!!! What's even worse is that he mentioned the German accent is more obvious the angrier he gets! Does anyone else instantly think of Dr Stangelove...?! I was willing to keep an open mind about the adaptation until I read this but along with the so-so trailer and the squid news...Alan Moore is going to be spinning in his grave! Watchmen Babies anyone?

• paddydebeast

Oct 25th 2008, 2:43

I'm a fan of the book but to be honest I have mixed feelings about the squid...I think with any adaptation the artist has to be allowed to change material if they see fit to do so.Lets see what Synder's alternative is and judge if it works in the context of the movie as a whole....and if it's rubbish then hammer the c**p out of him online!!!!But Be optimistic! There is a Watchmen movie coming out! It might be good - Whoknows...?? Heres hoping......

• sirius23

Oct 26th 2008, 12:07

i love the watchmen novel. One of it's main appeals was the far out ending. Whats the point in making a movie that hasn't got the balls to go the extra mile. I mean the director is always going on about how faithful and adaption it is but leaves an integeral part out. I think it would be mind blowing to see a giant psychic squid crash in to the city, it's not been seen before and with the likes of cloverfield out there i think it would be acceptable to see this. Don't try and fix what aint broken.

• rorschach

Nov 2nd 2008, 15:25

whats important is that he keeps what happens the same, changing how it happens i can live with. the squid could have been a disaster on film