Video: The Wolverine Spoiler-Filled Analysis

Can Logan still cut it?

The Wolverine marks Hugh Jackman's sixth outing as Marvel's most tortured mutant.

But with his original Origins adventure still a lingering, unsettling memory in many movie-goers' minds, can he cut it in a pseudo-sequel that trades in bombastic SFX and naff CGI and a quieter, more character driven plot in an alien Japanese setting?

We sat down to discuss the performances, action, plot twists and whether it's left us excited for X-Men: Days of Future Past.

Warning though - there be SPOILERS AHEAD if you haven't seen the movie yet.

Love it or hate it, let us know what you thought in the comments below!

Comments

• LSJShez

Jul 27th 2013, 17:29

I wanted to like it, but it's average at best. Better than the last one, yes, but only just.

Jul 27th 2013, 17:29

Its not out for a week, can't you contain yourselves?

Jul 27th 2013, 19:40

My mistake it came out yesterday, OOPS!

• SiMan

Jul 27th 2013, 19:55

****OBVIOUS SPOILERS HERE*** Totally agree that this film was just a little.....meh. It was a vast improvement on Origins, but that isn't really saying much. It did seem to get a little boring in the middle - well, maybe boring isn't the right word to use. I thought it was a decent story, it just lacked any real pace or tension in the middle. The beginning was excellent, and good point you guys made about having an expansion on the friendship between Logan and Yashida. Agree what you say about the violence being a little too tame, but don't agree with what you're saying about it needing to be more gory and bloody. Singer showed with X2 (in the scene where Stryder's soldiers attack the mansion, and Wolverine takes a load of them out) that you can make Wolverine's claws a violent weapon without the need to have a load of blood and gore. There were a few instances in this one where he stabs or slashes someone and they just get up as though they'd been punched. I liked the Japanese setting though, and the use of Yakuza and Ninjas as enemies made a refreshing change to the previous generic mutant with some rubbish power. I liked the idea of his healing factor not working as normal as well - I see your point about this being used in almost every superhero movie franchise (Spiderman 2 and Superman 2 were two others you didn't mention), but it worked in this film. Would have worked a little better though if they'd made more of the fact that it is not Logan's healing factor that makes him who he is. He is supposed to be the 'best he is at what he does' and he's got almost a hundred years of experience behind him. I always thought of him as a James Bond type, just with claws. He's supposed to be a highly skilled individual, but they didn't really make enough of that. They could have had him learning to fight with a samurai sword to better his skills as a warrior - maybe even show a scene where he purposefully does not extend his claws as he decides to use a sword instead. There were also a few choices Mangold made that I thought could have been done better - I thought he overused the 'Wolverine wakes up from a bad dream' a little too much, the bit where Logan 'operates' on himself I thought he should NOT have shown Logan's small scar, then open wound healing over as Yukio was fighting with Mariko's dad. As soon as that first healing shot was shown, It removed any tension that Yukio was in danger as you knew Wolverine was back. He should have just got to the part where Wolvie's claws stopped the sword and given everyone a moment to cheer....the fight with Mariko's dad as well (can't remember his name!), I didn't like the music in this scene. It started to build up to a 'hero returning' type score, all bravado and excitement, then it switched back to a lower tone and onto a kind of 'i'm a depressed hero, this is a serious film' type of score. - The part with the arrows was cool (nice analogy with him and the bear, like he is an animal....I also did not make that connection till you said it), but it would have been so much better if he hadn't been caught, but fought out of that trap (maybe even using the line 'Im the Wolverine' at this bit, not earlier). They could have come up with some other way for him to get caught by Viper (even have him make a choice to be shackled to save Mariko). Didn't like the use of the Silver Samurai either. There was also no need to cut off his claws. It served no purpose. It didn't change him at all - he just sprouted his bone ones again. Adamantium is supposed to be indestructible as well (as mentioned in the first X-Men). In the comics, Silver Samurai is a mutant who uses Kinetic energy to charge his kitana, but all he does in this is heat it up. It never explains how it can cut through Logan's claws. I also disagree with what you said about him getting them back. It maybe would have been a cop-out, but he is The Wolverine! He's got to have his metal claws. They mentioned the Yashida company had stockpiled Adamantium (it turned out for the Silver Samurai suit), but I thought they would use this as a reason he could get his claws back. What do you want to bet that by the time DoFP comes around, he has them back somehow? I also don't get this thing with Jean's 'ghost'. I suppose it's all in Logan's mind, but isn't the interesting thing about those two characters that he loves her, she knows he does, but she is IN love with Cyclops? But that's another debate I suppose. My last thoughts are about that easter-egg. Glad it wasn't one of the 'joke' ones we've had recently (i'm looking at you Iron Man 3) and it was a nice touch. McKellan is as awesome as always (don't he and Stewart look really old now though!) and so was Patrick Stewart, but one little thing that bothered me about this was something I've noticed for a while now. It seems like the art of introducing a character on screen is dying out. I can't remember the last time a character was introduced in an intricate way (like Indy stepping out of the shadows, or the way Lecter is introduced). It used to be directors would move a camera slowly around from behind someone, or up from someone's feet, building a little tension with the audience. This should have happened with Xavier. He's supposed to be dead. They should have teased it a little and only revealed him fully (even if the audience 'know' it is him) when Logan asks how this is possible. Apart from that, a nice little scene. I also get that Jackman is the biggest star, and therefore the biggest attraction in the eyes of the studios for the X-verse, so it makes business sense to have him be the focus of DoFP, but I just wish they'd make this an X-Men film about the group and not just with him as the main focal point. Well, rant over. Apologies it was a long post....couldn't stop once i'd started. So, in summary, The Wolverine was just....meh! Let's hope they adapt the 'Wolverine: Enemy of The State' storyline next and set him loose on the full Marvel movie universe!

• BobbyTwoTimes

Jul 29th 2013, 12:53

Sh!t film! Just add it to the long list of massively disappointing films this summer. Worst summer ever??!

• chibik

Jul 29th 2013, 13:04

I enjoyed the movie. Best X-Men film yet!

Jul 29th 2013, 18:24

Huh I don't understand people around here, The Wolverine was pretty good while Iron Man 3 was complete garbage. To each is own I guess.

• Mattsimus

Jul 30th 2013, 21:16

Miraculously.... I have not managed to see this yet guys, seriously reads like a mixed Mattsimus bag though! That said I'm really excited for a bit of wolvies return !... N yeah just to clarify, the billion dollar movie that was iron man 3 was utter c**p!.... Any kind of improvement over origins (although I thought it was entertaining) is fine with me. Gotta admit when I saw the trailer for Wolverine and it showed the bullit train sequence etc, I couldn't help but think PLEEEAASSEEE god no! As it look pretty tacky n reminded me of the jumping on to helicopter scene from origins but soooo far most ppl seem to rate the scene so, I guess I'll wait n judge after I've seen it..... Here's hoping!

• chibik

Jul 31st 2013, 11:08

Iron Man 3 was awesome. You guys have no taste.

• Mattsimus

Jul 31st 2013, 13:29

IM3 was worst of trilogy and far too generic for its own good, had a couple of moments that were cool but far to slim on the action n mandarin twist was original yet...... a waste of a great villain! that said Guy ritchie awesome as always. Now bk to the Wolverine.............

Jul 31st 2013, 15:09

Iron Man 3 was a massive disappointment and by far the worst movie I've seen since Die Hard 5. The tone just felt off right from the beginning, I could feel Favreau's absence right away it didn't feel like the previous fun Iron Man movies. I honestly thought the opening scene was from a spoof comedy, Guy Pearce's make up effects looked ridiculous. Downey was on form the story was all over the place they really didn't take advantage of his PTSD. And don't get me started on the Mandarin, just an awful twist there was nothing clever or entertaining about it. It just frustrates me that everyone raved about IM3 when it was no where near as enjoyable as Into Darkness or as engaging or good as The Wolverine. Yes Wolverine isn't as perfect it's no X-Men 2 but it was a really grounded and well structured, they actually took time with the characters and gave us a beautiful insight into Japanese culture and made use of the exotic architecture. James Mangold surpassed my expectations and gave me a Wolverine experience I enjoyed. Also can I just say how shocked I was at how violent the movie was, they complained in that video that it wasn't violent enough but it was really quite dark and gruesome for a PG-13/12A. I know Wolverine's comics can be extremely violent ( take Old Man Logan for example) but we don't need a 15 or Rated R Wolverine just for the sake of it, I only want a higher rating if it's actually going to benefit the movie. Between the blood, violence and swearing I'd be happy to keep the 12A rating cause they pushed it to the limit.

Jul 31st 2013, 15:13

Oh can I just say how disappointed I was to not see Yukio at the airport with Logan during the credits sting, IMO Yukio looked like she would have been a nice addition to the X-Men team.

Jul 31st 2013, 21:16

I saw it today and it was ok, not bad but nothing worth the hype, which seems to be indicative of this years blockbusters. It was slightly better than Origins, which is like saying a broken leg is slightly better than an amputated one. Wish they would STOP doing mid-credit add-on scenes, theres nothing more ridiculous than seeing an roomful of people on thier way to the exit, stop dead what they are doing and watch the screen, because apparently the movie isn't finished yet.

Jul 31st 2013, 21:40

Slightly better than Origins please it blows that pile of manure out of the water. I don't know I guess I am easier to please than everyone here, I've really enjoyed this summer blockbuster season bar IM3.

Jul 31st 2013, 22:54

I don't understand the hate toward IM3, I thought it was funny and entertaining. Shane Black knows how to write dialogue on par with Joss Whedon. "Dads leave, no use in being a p-ssy about it," "No really, I hate working for these guys, they're so weird". I liked how they stripped Stark of everything, and forced him to jury-rig his own equipment, another invincible armour suit would have been boring. Although downsides, Iron Patriot has nothiing to do but back up, the women were damsels, they squandered The Mandarin (one of the best known comic book villains), for future use in sequels, all for the sake of a cheap sight gag and more likely to Pander (panda..lol) to the Chinese market. Thats right, The Mandarin was caught Pandering. The ending went on too long, and no-one of the heroes were really ever in danger. Fire breathing Guy Pearce? Whut?

• Mattsimus

Aug 1st 2013, 18:25

Lol Hadouken ya just basically summed up everything that made IM3 the steaming heap that it was, it was only until 3 did everyone realise how good 2 was! He wasn't Tony Stark he was Toni no bark! Shane Blacks obvious use of language / humour n trying to be different is exactly the reason it was full of cliches.... Which I don't usually mind if the film works but it was just 2+ hrs of dull, yeah kiss kiss bang bang had a great script but the prob with those kind of movies is that they obviously try so hard to be different they just start becoming predictably obvious n all the substance is all in the spoken word and nothing much to view (yes I had a lot of pop up books haha) it just didn't work for me but hey £1 billion dollar plus at box office n now 5th highest grossing movie of all time soooo wtf do I know eh?

Aug 1st 2013, 20:04

That's what makes me hate the movie even more, the fact it grossed over 1 billion and critics j**zed all over it.

• dex2010

Aug 7th 2013, 11:44

I thought it was fantastic. What a brilliant character Wolverine is. Really enjoyed it, 4 stars