What's the greatest sci-fi movie ever?

Tell us your favourite and get published!

Forceful about the original Star Wars? Crazy for 12 Monkeys? Soft spot for Flubber?

Total Film is running a planet-sized poll to build a definitive list of The 50 Greatest Sci-Fi Movies Ever!

Using the form below, tell us your own personal favourite sci-fi movie and, if you like, a few words (100, tops) on why you heart it so much.

We'll feed the results into a (metaphorical) results-grinder and reveal the final list sometime in the very near future.

The smartest, funniest, most artfully effusive comments will be printed as part of the feature, with - if you include details - links to social-media profiles, websites, blogs...

We were planning to print a list of science-fiction movies for inspiration. But then we realised how much work that would involve. So here's a link to the Wikipedia page on 'Science Fiction Movies'. And here's the IMDB list of top-rated sci-fi films.

Speak now!

Comments

• FBSBrodrick

May 26th 2011, 23:09

I've tried posting a review but I get the message "form post failed on XML Load." That needs to be fixed.

• FBSBrodrick

May 26th 2011, 23:11

Since I can't leave my vote the form, here it is -- my vote is for the movie Galaxy Quest. Galaxy Quest satirizes the Star Trek show, movies, fans and actors, but does it with love. The plot: A group of actors who were briefly on a SciFi TV show that became a cult hit. The actors are now reduced to making guest appearances at SciFi conventions. The star of the show, Jason Taggart, is a self-important boor who has alienated his cast-mates (sound familiar?). Real aliens show up dressed as fans because they ARE fans – they believed the Galaxy Quest episodes were “historical records.” They have restructured their civilization around the show, and they need the crew to help them battle space-going baddies. Hilarity ensues. The casting in this movie is superb. Tim Allen shines as Taggart. Sigourney Weaver makes a lot out of her role as Lt. Madison. Alan Rickman as a frustrated Shakespearean thespian, Tony Shaloub and Daryl Mitchell round out the “original cast.” Special kudos to Sam Rockwell as bit-part actor Guy Fleegman and Enrico Colantoni as the alien Mathesar – two crucial supporting roles that are played perfectly.

• Matt76

May 26th 2011, 23:25

Submitted, but copying here for prosperity: The Terminator. Big hair, big Arnie and big ideas. Forget the diminishing sequels and enjoy a nice slice of brain busting budget 80s sci-fi that punched above it's weight to reach iconic status.

• higgins78

May 27th 2011, 0:13

How can anyone who is a fan of the sci-fi genre just pick one? Metropolis, Akira, Planet of the Apes, Frankenstein/Bride of, Blade Runner and Alien are the movies of this genre which at least for me spring immediately to mind. Some of the better "modern" sci-fi movies are District 9 and Moon. If I did have to choose just one I reckon it would probably boil down to a face-off between Akira and Metropolis with the winner being (drum roll)...Metropolis!

May 27th 2011, 0:29

Number one is either going to be Aliens, Star Wars, Blade Runner, 2001 or even Avatar, but for my vote it has to be either Ghost in the Shell, The MAtrix, Predator, Robocop or Silent Running...Curses! Im gonna need some time on this.

• FBSBrodrick

May 27th 2011, 14:13

Here is a list of best (and worst) SciFi movies on IMDB if you're looking for ideas http://www.imdb.com/chart/scifi Galaxy Quest isn't on IMDB's list, which is one reason I made it my pick. It's an ignored gem of a film.

• higgins78

May 27th 2011, 14:35

I'm an idiot. The 1 sci-fi movie I recommend to more people than any other and I forgot to include it in my list of all time favorites. Robocop. I will still likely vote that Metropolis should be voted greatest sci-fi movie ever but not mentioning Robocop would do it (and myself) a massive disservice.

• kman1958

May 27th 2011, 21:34

I would like to nominate the great Russian SF film "Solaris", directed by Andrei Tarkovsky (not the American remake starring Goerge Clooney). I grew up reading SF in the 60's, and one of my favorite authors is the great Polish SF writer Stanislaw Lem. This is a thinking man's film adaptation, not much action, but a great deal of thought and detail goes into this film. The main difference between the two versions is that this version is about the displacement of the hero from his beloved country, and that the reasons for what happens is much more complex than the American version. When you're watching a foreign film in a language you don't understand, seeing actors you're not familiar with (paricularly Matalya Bondarchuk & Donataus Banionis) and you can FEEL thier pain while they reconnect with each other is a truly affecting experience. The story is simple- a psychologist goes to a space station near a sentient planet, and the planet sends him a visitor, a replica of his dead wife...but the emotions are anything but simplistic. If at the end of this movie, your heart and soul isn't ripped out of your body, then I would imagine you're one of Asimov's robots. I don't disagree with other choices I've seen on this board, but there is a place for great thinking man's SF, such as 2001: A Space Odyseey, Moon, and this film. So if you haven't seen the original Solaris, please give this tremendous film a chance. The pace is languid, nothing much seems to happen, and yet, at the end, you will never be the same.

• FBSBrodrick

May 28th 2011, 14:08

The Russians make some strange, beautiful and twisted science fiction films. One of my favorites is Kin Dza Dza, made in 1986. It incorporates classic Russian themes -- bizarre twists of cruel and potentially crushing luck, perseverance in the face of that bad luck, and using your wits to survive. I think it's also a sly commentary on Soviet life,but not having lived there, I can't say. There's a review here: http://www.youtube.com/user/SadCASTs#p/u/3/J6JeoYvY550

• elena123

Jun 26th 2012, 23:54

You go higgins78! i already love you:) Metropolis is one of my favorite sci-fi movies and im pleased that there are people over here who think like me! im definitely gonna check out Giorgio Moroder's remake of Metropolis at metroposilmovie.co.uk as soon as the streaming will start. I recommend it to all of you, guys as well!