Why Christopher Nolan Must Recast Batman

Sam Ashurst argues the case against Christian Bale...

Christian Bale is a terrible, terrible Batman.

Go on, admit it. He’s crap at fighting, he sounds like a Disney wolf, and, if we believe what we heard on the set of Terminator Salvation, he’s a bit of a douche.

Critters 3 proved he’s not above doing a sequel.

More from the Total Film Blog...

Is Megan Fox The Antichrist?

Do We Really Need Star Trek 2?

Comments

• Desperation

Oct 8th 2009, 9:21

The idea of an ageing Batman returning to Gotham to get an ageing Joker off his lawn is an interesting one. It's a project for 10 years or so down the line though, i reckon. I think you're mad to suggest DiCaprio though. Don't get me wrong, i'm a big fan of his. But there's no way he could play this new breed of dark, gritty, no hold's barred Batman. He may have pulled it off back in the Joel Schumacher batsuit-with-nipples days, but not any more. I think Bale should be allowed another shot. He's one of my favourite actors these days, and the fact that he himself is actually a bit of a c**k doesn't change that. Somebody really needs to give the poor lad a strepsil though.

• mcghater

Oct 8th 2009, 9:40

seriously who the f*** wrote this,

• crowbar990

Oct 8th 2009, 9:44

did you write that drivel just to get a rise out of people? really, you think that leo would be a better batman? a fine actor indeed, but he neither has the physicality nor the intimidating air required to wear the batsuit, bales voice might be slightly misjudged in the 2nd film, im sure he'll rein it in a bit for the 3rd 1 though, but hes c**p at fighting? thats so stupid to not even warrant anymore discussion, seriously how did you get a job with total film? and clint eastwood is way way too old for tdkr, youd know that if you had read it, 15 years ago maybe, but now, not a chance. do u really think he looks only 20 years older then bale? all in all one of the sillier ideas ive ever read on this site that is getting increasingly poorer and by the way that comment at the end is a bit much as well, were not fans of batman or films in general if we dont agree with your ridiculous idea of eastwood in tdkr, id love to see it been made in2 a film but id show alot more imagination and understanding of the source material in choosing my favoured actor for the role, your the one whos not the real fan

• crowbar990

Oct 8th 2009, 9:44

with u on that mcghater, wat an idiotic piece

• maninacan

Oct 8th 2009, 10:14

jonny depp for batman leo as the riddler bales acting good as it is i find limited and he was s**te in public enemies almost ruined the film for me

• ashley.russell

Oct 8th 2009, 10:18

I get the irony/sarcasm of this article but I still think its badly written s**t.

• Marko44

Oct 8th 2009, 10:24

Leo....REALLY? Don't get me wrong the idea of The Dark Knight returns would be unreal but Clint's way too old. Scott Glen would be a better option

• MattMaytum

Oct 8th 2009, 10:41

Bale is a great Batman, he has the physicality and intensity in the suit, and he also does both sides of the Bruce Wayne character convincingly (playboy front and tortured soul). I think I am one of the rare breed who actually likes the 'bat-voice', it ties in well with what he is actually trying to achieve- considering we have to suspend our disbelief and imagine that this guy would dress up as a bat to fight crime, it works. I love DiCaprio as an actor but wouldn't want to see him in the batsuit, although I would be keen to see him play a villain, along the lines of a 'Brcce Wayne equivalent gone wrong'.

• barneymagru

Oct 8th 2009, 11:21

Frankly an awful article that fails at the first hurdle.. 'Christian Bale is a terrible, terrible Batman.' Not to mention the fact that the last thing Di Craprio can pull off is dark and/or gritty. As for bulking up for gangs of new york, you are kidding right!? Pah, and to have this as a 'feature' and smack bang on the main page of the site is ridiculous..C'mon guys, please don't stoop so low.

• StephenToman

Oct 8th 2009, 11:39

Aaah good old blogs - elevating the average opinionated punter to the position of social commentator and bringing journalists down to the level of the average opinionated punter - all set for an extended 'i like/you like' bashing?

• ash333

Oct 8th 2009, 11:42

I like a man with the balls to stand tall and bad mouth Batman.. There was a time around a year ago when if you were to dare speak out against The Dark Knight, Christopher Nolan or God forbid Heath Ledger you'd be spat on and flogged out of whatever establishment you'd dared voice your opinion in... I don't think Christian Bale was the best choice but I'd change the f*****g director before anything else.. His films are all style but no passion and in the case of The Dark Knight, a very shaky script

• shinysavage

Oct 8th 2009, 12:17

While I'm not convinced by the argument, I'll jump in anyway. Matt Damon? Possibly not a terribly good fit for Bruce Wayne, but after Jason Bourne I think he'd cope quite well as Batman.

• piccolo135

Oct 8th 2009, 12:47

ha ha ha, and I thought my jokes were bad. If it aint broke, don't fix it. Nolan has no passion? Have you even seen Memento?

• RobertSterling

Oct 8th 2009, 12:49

And I thought my blog was amateur!

• RobertSterling

Oct 8th 2009, 12:50

gnnn

• manfromthezoo

Oct 8th 2009, 12:51

Erm....hello? I believe Jesse Birdsall, formerly of BBC tech-paranoia opus 'Bugs' is entirely free.

• DravenCage

Oct 8th 2009, 13:12

That has to be one of the most poorly written, shoddily executed and, to be frank, downright embarrassing articles I have ever read on this website. I'm all for people expressing their opinions, especially when the writer is going against the grain, yet justifies their position with tangible ideas and well thought out arguments, but the above blog covers none of those criteria. I'm the editor of an online newsletter and write the movie column for said piece of "journalism" (*PLUG* Movie Mayhem, part of the Talk Wrestling Online Community Newsletter - www.talkwrestlingonline.com/forum *END PLUG*) and feel that anyone (and I do mean anyone) who uses the "If you don't agree, you can't be a REAL fan" argument to empower their viewpoint actually has no faith in their own opinions in the first place. It's like those people, and we all know them, who, when asked what the greatest movie of all time is, will answer with either Citizen Kane, The Godfather or some obscure film that's got, Romanian-subtitles, is in black & white, stars no-one we've heard of and made 3p at the box-office... despite the fact they've never actually seen the movies being mentioned and, for whatever reason, feel they have to lie to make themselves feel important or "well-read". I personally think that, while great movies, both Citizen Kane and The Godfather are overrated, but, to some, that means "I'm not a true movie fan" or, even worse "I don't know what I'm talking about. Christian Bale works as both Batman and Bruce Wayne. The voice is annoying, but, since this is Batman still putting the whole package together, it makes sense he'd over-egg the gruffness in the beginning before finding the perfect pitch for the character.

• chesh

Oct 8th 2009, 13:29

Give Bale the gig. He's done well with the role, and how many fims really bounce true with a changed cast member, and certainly one in such a prominent role.....well the lead in fact. I mean ok, the 'drain' voice in Batman mode does grate, no doubt, but I think overall as a big Batman fan generally he's kept me happy. And Di Caprio, well, if you were winding the batclock back and making him look about 14...fantastic idea.....he just doesn't age.....(side line working for Olay?) Oh and 'maninacan', I thought the only good thing about Public Enemies was Billy Crudup....and he was only in it for about 3 minutes in total.

• joedav87

Oct 8th 2009, 13:30

Leonardo DiCaprio is sh*t. i hate his "acting" in everything he is in. From his ludicrous accent in Blood Diamond, to his ludicrous accent in Gangs of New York, to his ludicrous...well you get the point. He's a weasel faced little boy, taking roles way above his ability. Bale plays Batman better than anyone else could, and seeing as this franchise reboot would be nothing without him and Nolan etc (to the point this article wouldnt have even been written) i think it is just inflammatory BS, as do many above. Don't write things like this again, i come to this website for news and interesting/funny trivia lists, not to be spoon fed testes.

• Lomier66

Oct 8th 2009, 13:50

Wow. Every time I’ve read articles on here they seem to be lucky to attract one or two comments. This shoddy piece really has people up in arms. Can see why though, it is pretty pathetic. I think Bale is doing a solid enough Job at nailing the suave arrogance of Wayne and the intimidation and intensity needed for Batman. While the voice can grate somewhat it is essential in not only inducing fear in criminals but also reinforcing in his own mind that he is not a man when he wears that suite. More the brutal embodiment of all of his angers manifested in physical from. Anyway, in my opinion no change is needed by any stretch of the imagination. However, I did hear Guy Pierce mentioned while they were casting Begins. I think he would have made a stunning Batman. But that’s just me…

• piccolo135

Oct 8th 2009, 14:05

Can we all get in on this blogging lark? On the basis of this article I guess you can write whatever you want. I will start with why The Phantom Menace is oscar worthy fare, and how Jar Jar should have been the next De Niro. Yee gods! What mesa sayin?

• geekstinkbic

Oct 8th 2009, 14:11

Chevy Chase

• niannah

Oct 8th 2009, 14:19

I think this article is supposed to be a joke, but this site is no Cracked.com, that's for sure.

• ReelTalker

Oct 8th 2009, 15:04

Nah, I gotta disagree. Christian Bale is perfect in this role. And it's cool that Batman has a lil dark side too. Keeps him abiguous.

• MadMatt

Oct 8th 2009, 15:06

Fantastic, best laugh I've had in ages. As soon as I spotted the fanboy-baiting link on the front page I feared you were sticking your hand in the hornets' nest. I admire your sheer nerve, Sir; I've never seen so many responses to a TF.com feature as long as I've been visiting here! In all seriousness, although this will never happen - I do like Bale, by the way, despite the ridiculous Bat-voice - I would love them to really shake up the franchise and do the last thing anyone expects. Namely, adapt Dark Knight Returns with one of my lifelong heroes, Mr Eastwood, as an aged Batman. Come on, that would be pretty darn awesome, wouldn't it?

• GhostBauer

Oct 8th 2009, 15:50

These are clearly the witterings of a crack smoker (who hasn't sold his keyboard). Bale will/must be Batman again. No new Joker. Cutting room carpet will resurrect Ledger 'appropriately' while the shout of Day Lewis as a new baddie isn't so bad so i'll rectract the crack smoking roshambo... but, i'll reinstall it for saying Di Caprio should be Batman wt frakki' f - that's really added sour milk to my cerebral cornflakes. I'm sorely vexed, hurt, and sorely vexed.

• Sonic

Oct 8th 2009, 15:52

What f*****g d****e wrote this article???

• down4orce

Oct 8th 2009, 16:42

It's bacause of rubbish like this Empire will always be number 1.

• imidlane

Oct 8th 2009, 17:02

DiCaprio is a child. It's a good point that in recasting Batman you can recast The Joker. Dan Day or Depp opposite Ed Norton?

• Shelbiie

Oct 8th 2009, 17:17

You don't like him as Batman 'cause he freaked out on set? Why would you EVEN let that bother you; Batman or Terminator? He's a method actor, and a blooming brilliant one at that! Suggesting DiCaprio as a 'new' Batman is beyond ridiculous because he hasn't got that mysterious, businessman look like Bale! Besides if you recast both BATMAN and JOKER you might as well just recast the whole lot, people are too familiar with the characters now that they have been more brought out of their shells in TDK. And everyone slates the bat-voice and it does sounds ridiculous but at least Nolan thought about changing it considering Wayne is suppose to be a Gotham superstar and all. Damn, TF I'm disappointed!

• mrblonde

Oct 8th 2009, 18:42

First your magazine writes an article saying how Jack Nicholson is a better Joker than Heath Ledger and now your stating what a 'terrible,terrible' Batman Christian Bale is and if we don't agree we aren't Batman Fans or even film fans. Pathetic. I'm all for people having their own opinions no matter how wrong they can be sometimes ( Total Films on most topics these days),but telling people that if they don't agree with your views then they aren't worth listening to is the sort of thing that gives bloggers a bad rep and is quite frankly embarrassing for a so called professional publication such as yours. I personally think that Christian Bale( Dirty Harry voice and all) as well as the late, great Heath Ledger between Begins and TDK have given two of the very best performances in any comic book movie to date, perfectly portraying their respective characters. I for one hope that Bale, Nolan, Oldman, Caine and everyone else linked to the current Bat- movie universe continue to make great Batman films for as long as possible. Also,if they decide to do a translation of The Dark Knight Returns graphic novel seperate from Nolan's films, my personal choice for an ageing Bruce Wayne/Batman would be Mickey Rourke. As much as I love Clint Eastwood, he isn't built enough to play an ageing Bruce Banner let alone Bruce Wayne. But that's just my opinion. Can't wait to read Total Film's Blog next week entitled "Is it just me, or was Robert DeNiro totally S**t in Raging Bull?" SORT IT OUT TF!

• imaginarium

Oct 8th 2009, 19:15

Most ridiculous thing I have ever read. Christian Bale has the physique, the intensity, the intimidating edge; he is the perfect Bruce Wayne/Batman for Nolan's world. As for "..and, if we believe what we heard on the set of Terminator Salvation, he’s a bit of a d****e. Okay, so maybe that last one doesn’t really have much to do with the Batman franchise, but it did ruin the Terminator franchise for me.", anyone who lets an actor's personal actions tarnish their opinion of their performance, or indeed the movie at all, maybe isn't a film fan themselves.

• Andy85

Oct 8th 2009, 19:29

Is it just me or does nobody else get the sarcastic undertones of this article. Clint Eastwood is old enough to be batmans great grandad and DeCaprio would be more suited to the role of Batmans not as good sidekick Robin, god forbid should they ever reintroduce him to the reimagined batology. Bale makes an awesome batman and the box office success of both films proves that. Bale in real life seems like a troubled soul and his persoality alone fits the profile for the caped crusader. Any adjustment to the current line up of big name actors to a third film would hinder it unwatchable and I certainly wouldn't watch it, (in the cinema anyway).

• supernaturalbro

Oct 8th 2009, 21:34

Only thing i agree with is the voice. A bit too much in TDK. Apart from that though, the only thing i can say is: What an utter tool the bloke who wrote this is. I know he's doing it to cause somedebate but seriously, come on, something more substantial than this drivel would be appreciated. Christian Bale is one of the main reasons why Batman was able to rise from the ashes of the Joel Schumacher debacle. Give the guy a break and go back to berating Megan Fox.

• amayapg

Oct 8th 2009, 21:48

I'm kin of p********f about this article. I just registered in this site to comment on it. You wrote: "Christian Bale is a terrible, terrible Batman. Go on, admit it. He’s c**p at fighting, he sounds like a Disney wolf, ..." >c**p at fighting? What do you want him to do? Dance? Fight ‘robotically’ like Michael Keaton did? Or do the lame ‘fight choreographies’ that George Clooney did for B&R? The fighting style (Keysi Method Fighting) is gritty, messy, and real and it goes perfectly with the tone of Nolan’s films. And Christian Bale can pretty much do all his stunts and kick a*s for real (if he wanted too). >As for the voice, there’ve been reports that it was digitally enhanced. You should take that complain to Nolan. And even if it wasn’t digitally altered, and it hindered the character, Nolan should have put a stop to it. It all comes down to the director’s choice. Then you wrote: "... and, if we believe what we heard on the set of Terminator Salvation, he’s a bit of a d****e. Okay, so maybe that last one doesn’t really have much to do with the Batman franchise, but it did ruin the Terminator franchise for me." >Well, if you let an off-set incident ruin a film for you, maybe you shouldn’t be writing about movies. Probably 90% of films are ruined for you before-hand. Then, you continue: "The last thing I want is for Bale to have a bad day on the set of Batman 3: Die Darker and start barking insults at dear old Michael Caine. If that happens, I’ll have to strap on my homemade Batsuit, bang on Bale’s trailer door and break out the Ninja stars. Sorry, Batarangs. No-one messes with Michael on my watch. The man's immense. Look at him." >Christian Bale is a gentleman with an spotless 20+ year career. Now everyone bashes just for the sake of it. Like you’re doing right now. There were some unusual circumstances in the set of Terminator Salvation that brought about the incident. He apologised to the Director of Photography that very same day and everthing was resolved and then he even issued a public apology. And as for Michael Caine, he was one of the first (of many) to come forward and defend him. He said he knows Christian Bale is not like that at all even said that Christian’s rant was mild compared to the ones he used to do (especially one while filming the movie “The Last Valley” – Link: http://movies.about.com/od/interviewswithactors/a/caine-anybody_2.htm) Then, you said: "Don’t get me wrong, Bale’s a brilliant actor. American Psycho is one of my favourite films. But I can’t help but wonder if the first person to circle Bateman might be the best choice for Batman. Yes, I do mean Inception star Leonardo DiCaprio, Christopher Nolan’s new best mate." >Di Caprio was not the first choice to play Patrick Bateman. Bale was Mary Harron’s (the director) first choice to play the character. But after Titanic, Di Crapio expressed interest in playing Bateman and attached himself to the project. The studio got excited because they wanted a bigger name to star that could potentially draw more audiences. The studio told the director to drop Bale and hire Di Caprio, but she refused. Then, both Bale and Harrion were unofficially *released* from the film. Oliver Stone attached himself, the budget grew, etc. Eventually, Di Caprio got cold feet since he was convinced by others that the project would hurt his image and his female (teen) fan base and everything went back to square one. The project was *returned* to Harron and Bale. You continue saying: "DiCaprio has the pretty-boy looks and arrogant swagger of Bruce Wayne and he can pull off the weird mix of obsessive mania and brooding menace it takes to be Bats." >Huh? Di Caprio still looks like a teenager. Pretty boy looks? Bruce Wayne should look like a sophisticated (mature/adult) man (like Bale does). As for the “the weird mix of obsessive mania and brooding menace it takes to be Bats”, doesn’t Christian Bale already does it and does it better? "The Departed proved that DiCaprio can lead a double-life on the edge of sanity. Gangs Of New York proved he can bulk up. Critters 3 proved he’s not above doing a sequel." >Bulked up in Gangs of New York? Like Bale bulkes up? Critters 3 as sequel? Enough said. Then: "And, don’t forget, if we recast Batman, we can reinvent the Joker. It wouldn’t be right to shove any other actor in front of Christian. Ledger’s shadow would be so all-encompassing we wouldn’t be able to make-out the make-up. But a new actor? Maybe even an older actor? Now we’re talking. If DiCaprio’s busy, then how about we cast Clint Eastwood, call Batman 3 The Dark Knight Returns, slap some clown paint on Daniel Day Lewis and call it a day." >What is this obsession with the Joker? Batman has an incredible villain gallery to choose from. No actor will even think of stepping into the Joker's shoes now. Besides, they are not going to reinvent it. The only reinvention will occur when Nolan and Bale are finished with this saga. I don't think WB is interested in reinventing anything related to the Batman franchise now. You said also: "After all, The Dark Knight ended with the perfect set-up for a future-set story. At the close of Knight, Nolan exiled Batman from Gotham. So, how about he stays away for twenty years instead of the two they’ve probably first drafted? If you’re telling me you’d rather see Bale back in the Batbriefs than an aged Eastwood, wheezing his way across the ruins of Gotham while gangs of punks try to pick his pocket then, quite frankly, I’m not sure you should call yourself a Batfan. Or a film fan, for that matter. Eastwood and DiCaprio are my picks for Batman 3 – who are yours? Or do you think Bale should complete the trilogy?" >Thank God you are not in charge of any kind of casting! Yes, I tell you that – He should (and will) complete the trilogy. I want to see Bale back in the Batbriefs and definitely not an aged Eastwood, but if you do and considering all you said previously, maybe you could call yourself a Batfan but definitely not a journalist. What a horrible piece of s**t you just wrote. At least check your facts before writing.

• zeno66

Oct 8th 2009, 21:59

hows about they cast joseph gordon-levitt as the new joker... that boys good.. and he looks just like the old one... damm ,, just look at him , come on.. he can pull it off..

• imaginarium

Oct 8th 2009, 22:21

zeno66 - While I agree that Joseph Gordon-Levitt is a FANTASTIC actor, & indeed does look a lot like Heath, it's not just about that. He couldn't immerse himself in the role in the exact way that Heath did, he couldn't create the same character, nobody could - it is Heath's character, what he did with it is/was his alone. And for the Joker to be brought back into this particular reboot [if it were to be set in the same time period, which with Gordon-Levitt's age now it would have to be] they would need to bring that same character, Heath's portrayal, back. In my opinion anyway. The Joker for Nolan's Batman has been done, and cannot be done again.

• ringo69

Oct 8th 2009, 22:21

funniest thing i heard...aparentley bale said they should get matt mchounaghy (or hwoever u spell his friggin name in)to play the joker... maybe we can replace bale with luke wilson and bring in owen for the ride as a resurected harvey dent..maybe we could then get vince vaughn to play the riddler...sound like bollocks to you? so was the article...

• Agent69

Oct 8th 2009, 23:03

DiCaprio? WTF?!?

• scabo33

Oct 8th 2009, 23:11

Christian bale heath ledger and chris nolan have revolutionised superhero flicks.. u are not worthy u p**s a*s

Oct 8th 2009, 23:14

Christian Bale is perfect for Bruce Wayne and Batman the only flaw is the voice he puts on when in the suit.

• macateb

Oct 9th 2009, 0:18

One of the worst articles I've read in Total Film. Very amateurish.

• Bojangles17

Oct 9th 2009, 1:08

...Yeah, as much as I often feel the need to defend Total Film, it ain't happening this time. I get how having a blog gives you an opportunity to break away from Objective Reporting and get more informally in touch with your audience but the internet is generally getting to a point where people will shun good ideas constantly with no thought put into their argument but they will get logical when pointing out stuff that is downright ridiculous. I wouldn't be surprised to read this on the blog of some anonymous teen hosting on LiveJournal desperate to get hits. You should be well above this, Total Film and it disapoints me to have to say that.

• mikey60000

Oct 9th 2009, 3:03

I just read the blog and have a question. What insane idiot wrote this article and why did total film post it? First of all Bale is an amazing Batman, he gives the role so much more depth and anguish than probably any actor could. Second if we don't think Eastwood should be an ageing Batman we're not true fans....I think you should either go and colour something in or stop talking out of your behind. Soory another quick question. Have you ever watched either of the films? When did/would Bale shout at Michael Caine like he did in terminator. You absolute...(add your own profanity).

• JamD85

Oct 9th 2009, 10:38

Seriously this article must be a joke...dont get me wrong di caprio is an awesome actor..but why fix something that isnt broken. Bale makes a great batman and it is actually quite shocking that total film would go to these kind of lengths to get people to read their articles....on a serious note keeping in reference with the theme of this article...how about you replace the author of this article with me or im pretty sure even a monkey could do a better job...harsh but true.

• DocAlbran

Oct 9th 2009, 11:04

I can't believe I wasted a minute of my life reading that rubbish, or more time commenting on it, even if was clearly a spoof. Spoofs are supposed to be funny guys (and gals)! D- must try harder!

• skrooge

Oct 9th 2009, 11:13

Sam: you rock. The rest of you failing to 'get' the trolling: you've brightened an otherwise dull day in the office. I've not laughed as much as this for a long time. :)

• Jaymo

Oct 9th 2009, 13:10

My opinion mean les than nothing but the blogs main points are f*****g stupid. Total Film all but took a mouthful of cok from anyone involved with TDK upto, and past, the much anticipated release. After it had a massive opening weekend and everyone and their mother went to see it Total Film called it the best comic book apadtation, or words to that effect. With that in mind, who wrote this box of coks of a blog? It makes no sense? Why is this person on your pay roll? Can I get a job at Total Film? I can write stoooopid.

• Jaymo

Oct 9th 2009, 13:15

Also.....Batmans Voice? It works as it is just and extention of the disguise. If the character didn't do somehting like this then as soon as he opened his gob everyone would be like "Hey, It's Bruce Wayne. The most famous man in Gotham High Society and Biilionare businessman.". I can't belive that everyone is so hung up on it but mentions nothing of the fact that he hanglides through the city beating people up.

• Jimmynna

Oct 9th 2009, 14:31

Ha ha!!!!! This is so funny!!! Can't you see what's happening here? TOTAL FILM needed some more users so they can charge more for the advertising they do on their website. So, what did they do? They wrote this insane article designed exactly to make everyone want to register just so that they can post a comment here!!! It's funny!!! I for one was already a user so... Goodie for me!!! :) By the way: Christian Bale ROCKS!!!!!!

• zeno66

Oct 9th 2009, 15:24

dont f*****g recast batman... bale works.. nolan rocks... and i still think they can bring back the joker in a way that will not upset anyone.. like i said before the only other person that will work is joseph gordon levitt.. but dont let him pla a big part.. keep him in a cell.. dark.. raw.. shadows.. i agree he cant match what was done before but he can try.. why not.. and his in nolans new movie inception.. money on him

• BooBoo1981

Oct 9th 2009, 15:32

Is this for real or... is the guy who wrote this retarded? Hmmmm...

• jonpaulb78

Oct 9th 2009, 15:48

i think we do get rid of him the only man who can replace him and not that namby pamby little girl named leonardo di caprio. it should be Mark Harmonn otherwise keep bale and some other characters should be played by shia la beouf - robin david tennant - riddler cote de pablo - poison ivy the rock - mr freeze scarlet johansson - catwoman david suchet - the penguin johnny depp - the joker

• MadMatt

Oct 9th 2009, 23:57

To defend the criticism of the Joker piece in the magazine, you've obviously missed the whole point of that section of the mag thus far. It's called 'Is It just Me?' - in other words, each month it provides a platform for an unpopular/controversial opinion. Which is then rebuffed or supported by other TF staffers in the boxout column. They all disagreed with the writer, if I recall correctly. It's SUPPOSED to wind-up the easily offended, and I suspect this blog had the same incendiary intentions... So it's rather silly getting so worked up about it.

• Mattsimus

Oct 10th 2009, 14:22

Ok Sam Asshurst or whatever your name is, your a bale fan? then how the hell can you justify trying to recast him from Batman and actually have the pure stupidity to suggest Dicaprio? now let me be clear when i say yes Dicaprio is actually an incredible actor even if his best performances were in his earlier films, such as whats eating gilbert grape, this boys life, basketball diaries!!! but bale is also amazing and has been performing since he was about ten, empire of the sun! think we need to get over this Terminator rant and move on, you think Bale is the only actor to ever throw his weight around on set? eeeerrr nnoooo, he's just the poor f##cker who got taped so get over it!!! as if Nolan is gonna replace Bale after they have both together reinvented Batman and Dark knight now stands as the 4th highest grossing movie off all time and the highest grossing super hero movie (bye bye spidey 3).....so get a grip, take ur pills, give Bale a break as he's actually incredible. ooohh not to mention the fact that micheal Caine n Nolan and Bale have worked on 3 projects together and Batman 3 would be the 4th so obviously there isnt a problem between them!!!! Im seriously considering not reading any more ridiculous articles by this site/magazine as is seems to be hiring retards to write for its site!!!!!!!

• irish

Oct 11th 2009, 19:04

I#m happy enough with Mr Bale as Batman. But if it were to be recast. I think Eric Bana would be a good choice, or Daniel Day Lewis. As For the joker, How about Tom Cruise.

• mrCrez

Oct 12th 2009, 17:57

How about Micheal Keaton coming back for a future type plot. He was brill in the first Batman. Imagine the hype!

• DanielMcA

Oct 12th 2009, 22:45

Leo yes, but you have the wrong Leo - it should be Leo Sayer. He's way f###ed up enough to play either the joker or batman. OR, BOTH! Batman is kind of scyzo anyway so you could explain it away like that. or not. who gives a s#'t. Or perhaps someone ripe and cheesy, like Kate Winslet.

• khrissy10

Oct 13th 2009, 13:25

Seriously...?.... just no....

• mrsmiawallace

Oct 20th 2009, 1:07

Next week's unpopular film theory: The Star Wars Prequels - better than the originals? Fling in some pictures of Jar Jar and pin-ball Yoda and watch the TF userbase's heads explode.

• Rambo

Oct 23rd 2009, 20:59

Bale was an ace Batman. Changing an actor in a franchise is the biggest mistake you can make. Changing Katie Holmes in The Dark Knight was just stupid. And yes who did write this?

• CaptainCrazy

Oct 24th 2009, 13:53

Shame on TF for writing this fan-baiting article so a TF reader, like me (since iss. 1), has to sign up to the forum. Shame on you. BTW, this article looks like it was written by a blue-assed, head-raped little monkey. There! That's my intellectual comeback. As for future casting: Joe Pesci as Penquin. He needs to play it psychotic, alá Goodfellas.

• insomniax2

Nov 11th 2009, 22:50

Wow, the sheer amount of self righteous d*******gs replying to this 'article' is quite funny!

• rockfeller111

Nov 17th 2009, 22:57

i've registered just so that i can comment on this.. u r easily the dumbest d****e on the net. i mean Eastwood.. really!!! the guy can barely stand up he's so old,and dicaprio plays the same character in every film. u honestly think they wud be betta than bale?

• Nika555

May 27th 2010, 10:49

VERY funny! If Chrisitian Bale would be nominated on Oscar for Batman and if it would be your speech before praising him WITH A BIG LOVING SMILE - I shake your hand this could understood as a certain type of irony! Just do not forget to run away right after! From everyone! LOL