Dr Who - The Waters of Mars
Ok, just watched this, the second last appearance of David Tennant's Dr (who ranks just behind Sylvester McCoy for me)
1. I really feel this is retreading old ground. How many times can we have a remote human colony come under attack from some sort of malevolent force, the Dr shows up to help and there's huge self-sacrifice from the crew in order to save Earth? The Dr even wears the same suit as he did in The Satan Pit (still feels weird to see him in a space suit, so old tech).
2. Very, very reminiscent of John Carpenters film The Ghosts of Mars. Which isn't a terrific recommendation. Also see the Angel episode The Price.
3. Nice scenes with the robot, it's catchphrase rather reminds me of Twikkie from Buck Rogers.
4. Ok. The Doctor has officially gone insane! I know he's supposed to be this 'Lonely god' but the idea that he can simply alter time as he wishes just because he's the last Time Lord is crazy. I expected him to take the survivors to some distant earth colony in the future so that they could live out their lives and as far as anyone on Earth is concerned they died in the explosion. The idea of him glorying in the concept of 'Timelord Victorious' is not the Dr I grew up with. Whilst he always disagreed with much of his people's philosophy he always conformed to the laws of time, he knew that some of their beliefs were unquestionably right. Now he seems to think that as they all perished that he can change the rules to suit himself?
5. Actually quite unsettling to see him so scared at the prospect of the 4th knock. You wonder if you've lived forever does death become more frightening a prospect or less? (reminds you of Adam's observations about vampires)
6. I have to say, I don't like the Ood and I think we've had way too much of them in the series. There are a lot more interesting recurring races around, how about a few more Weeping Angels?
7. But of course the Dr is NOT the last of the Timelords. The Master is back. Oh yes. OH YES!
8. So Donna and her grandad back again? Cool. Remember the Dr said that if she ever remembered him it would tear the universe apart? Perhaps he's so reckless now he's prepared to risk it?
Goes without saying but I'm looking forwards to Christmas
Last edited by Lizhawkins; 20-06-2010 at 12:41 PM.