50 Shades Of Grey gets a screenwriter

Kelly Marcel will adapt the erotic blockbuster

After weeks and months of industry speculation (and no small amount of pitching tweets from Bret Easton Ellis), Universal has settled upon Kelly Marcel to write its adaptation of Fifty Shades Of Grey.

Marcel was previously responsible for putting together the Mary Poppins screenplay Saving Mr. Banks for Disney, so this should represent something of a change of pace for her.

“Kelly’s work demonstrates her flawless structural technique and passionate commitment to emotion, humour and depth of character which is particularly visible in the celebrated screenplay for the upcoming Saving Mr. Banks,” said producer Michael De Luca.

“We were all taken with the depth and passion of Kelley’s engagement with the characters and world EL James has created and we knew she was the right person to augment our Fifty Shades family.”

In case you’ve been living under a rock this past year, the story is about the BDSM relationship between college grad Anastasia Steele and kinky businessman, Christian Grey. It’s sold a couple of copies here and there…

No release date has been confirmed for the film as yet, but with a writer in place, expect a director and leading players to be confirmed before too long.

Who would you like to see cast in the movie? Tell us, below!

Comments

Oct 9th 2012, 11:29

I haven't read this book but from what I've been told it's quite graphic, so Lars Von triers or Gus Van Saint to direct then ?

• killertapir

Oct 9th 2012, 12:12

I feel like this has to be rock bottom for the film industry. You can't get lower than making a film based on a horribly written fan fiction of a horribly written book series. And I really hope studio execs don't take that a challenge.

Oct 9th 2012, 17:47

Killertapir, the studios have just greenlit a Hungry HUngry Hippos movie, which means Hollywood hit rock bottom and kept on digging. It will have to be Joel Eszterhas or Akiva Goldsman, both of whom are known for writing irredeemable bullsh*t

• shortiehubbard

Oct 10th 2012, 23:25

I think that Patrick Dempsey would make the perfect Christen gray. Cause he has a real well achieved look and yet has that naughty boy look to him as well. :)

• shortiehubbard

Oct 10th 2012, 23:26

to the 50 shades of gray series

• Movielover01

Oct 29th 2012, 10:18

I have read all three books and I personally think that if the 3 books are combined it would make a cracking film showing the journey and development of the characters. However I don't think they will do that because they will want to milk as much money as they can out of these books popularity. For me the only person who could possibly play Christian Grey is Alexander Skarsgard - he has demonstrated that he is comfortable with his body and can provide the smoldering mercurial and volcanic personality of Christian, he is epically good looking and his well toned body which he doesn't mind showing off in its naked form which is Christian Grey to the letter, in fact when I read the books and read the descriptions (apart from the copper hair of course) I pictured Alex Skarsgard in my head.

• maslanz2012

Nov 7th 2012, 6:07

I think we need fresh faces for the lead roles of 50 Shades. New talent. Not actors/actresses who have "grown up" on stage or cinema who have acted in lots of lead roles. When I read the books, I likened the image of Christian Grey to JFK Jnr and I mean no disrespect in saying this. I think someone who looks as beautiful as he ....would be perfect! For Anastasia Steele ..... a brown haired Teresa Palmer (Australian actress). I think she has 'the look" of Anastasia Steele or maybe as Ana's friend Kate?

• sabinaioana

Dec 25th 2012, 19:40

I read the book and from the discription i had only two caracteres in my mind: Christian as Ian Somerhalder: He has that blue- grey mysterious and evil eyes that intimidates. He can play that caracter obsessed of power. Shortiehubbard.. if you read the book you know that Christian is 27, not 46 like Patrick Dempsey. And about Anastasia, Alexis Bledel is the perfect match: her blue/ green eyes, her brunette hair (not blonde as Teresa Palmer) , her blush and that childish attitude.