Robert Zemeckis pumped the Christmas spirit into US moviegoers a few weeks early, as A Christmas Carol led the box office with $31 million.
The new arrival moved Michael Jackson concert film This Is It down to second place with $14 million, but it's sill on track to become the top-earning music gig-based movie of all time.
The Men Who Stare At Goats launched to a decent but unspectacular $13.3 million, while The Fourth Kind abducted $12.5 million in, er, fourth.
Fifth place went to Paranormal Activity, which added $8.6 million to its total and will likely pass $100 million by the end of next weekend. There wasn't much good news for Richard Kelly's The Box -it could only manage a sixth place arrival and $7.8 million.
Here, then, the top 10 for the weekend…
- A Christmas Carol ($31 million)
- This Is It ($14 million)
- The Men Who Stare At Goats ($13.3 million)
- The Fourth Kind ($12.5 million)
- Paranormal Activity ($8.6 million)
- The Box ($7.9 million)
- Couples Retreat ($6.4 million)
- Law Abiding Citizen ($6.1 million)
- Where The Wild Things Are ($4.2 million)
- Astro Boy ($2.6 million)
[Data Source: Box Office Mojo]