A new, official look at Naomi Watts in Diana

New image and new title for the Princess Di film

Photo credit: Laurie Sparham [Click on the photo to see it in hi-res]

As production commences on Diana (formerly Caught In Flight), an official image of Naomi Watts as the titular Princess has been revealed.

The film will focus on the final two years of Diana’s life, apparently charting how ‘finding true personal happiness allowed her to achieve her defining successes, as she evolved into a major international campaigner and humanitarian’, according to the press release.

The globetrotting shoot will take in locations such as Croatia and Mozambique, in addition to UK filming.

Watts said of Diana, “I’m excited and honoured to be playing the role of a truly remarkable woman, who had such a positive and profound impact in so many ways.”

Directed by Oliver Downfall Hirschbiegel, the film will no doubt be a key player in the 2013 Oscar race, not least in the lead actress stakes.

Diana doesn’t have an official release date yet, but is expected to open early in 2013.

Impressed with Watts as Diana? Should she start clearing space on shelves for the inevitable awards? Let us know!

Comments

• ChrisWootton

Jul 4th 2012, 10:33

I hate these kinds of films. Whilst I'm completely non-plussed about the Royals etc it must be tough for the kids having to be constantly reminded of what happened to their mum. It just stinks of Watts going for Oscar glory

• georgeWW

Jul 4th 2012, 10:39

shes part of history, I think this will be v/good and tbh I doubt they ever forget about their mothers death It would never be out of my mind if mine died

• alexr

Jul 4th 2012, 10:55

I can't imagine William and Harry will be first in line for tickets though. Whether or not they decide to view it and pass judgement on Watts' performance is their call. I just hope this is being treated as a piece of cinema rather than a cheap attempt for 'Oscar Glory'.

• gquinn81

Jul 4th 2012, 16:15

Yaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Jul 4th 2012, 18:23

Verner Troy as Paul Burrell.

• lukeworm100

Jul 4th 2012, 20:20

Typical another biopic oscar bid, It is just annoying to get films like this, The Iron Lady, The Queen etc. Not going to be a good film, but it will be applauded in award ceremonies. I am just tired of it.

• EddieFelson

Jul 6th 2012, 15:50

History should be a huge part of cinema, don’t want to watch it? don’t? all the other historic figures that had films made about them, and had children, families etc ? this film was always going to be made (I realised that even when watching it unravel at 5 in the morning) there’s a lot of stories there to be told so go for it! And fu*k the Oscars they always pick a bunch of wa*k anyway