Adam Driver set to play Star Wars: Episode VII villain

Report suggests he’ll play a Darth Vader-esque figure

Adam Driver has been linked to Star Wars for some time, but a fresh report from Variety suggests he is just about to sign on the dotted line for Star Wars: Episode VII as the villain.

The actor, currently best known for HBO series Girls (and with a few choice film roles - Lincoln, Frances Ha, Inside Llewyn Davis - under his belt), would be the first cast member to *officially* sign on if the reports are true (although Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford have long been expected to return).

Driver’s character will ‘be in the vein of iconic Star Wars villain Darth Vader’ according to the report. Driver would be an offbeat choice, but also an exciting one: talented enough to create a unique character, but not so famous that he’d bring too much baggage to the role.

Apparently scheduling issues with his ongoing commitment to Girls had been the reason that this deal had been held up.

With Episode VII gearing up to shoot in the UK this summer, expect official casting announcements sooner rather than later.

Directed by J.J. Abrams, Star Wars: Episode VII (subtitle to be announced) will open on 18 December 2015.

Is Driver a good fit for Star Wars? Tell us!

Comments

Feb 26th 2014, 22:20

Hmm I don't mind him but I can see this news disappointing a lot of fans. Seems like Hollywood just doesn't want to go for universally loved casting decisions these days.

• BobTheSkull

Feb 26th 2014, 22:20

Know nothing about him, so this is based entirely on the pictures of him on this page... but, I don't think I'll be able to take a character that's supposed to be as heavyweight as Vader from someone who looks like he's about to burst in to tears... Shallow, I know.... But i don't know enough to make an informed call.

• moviemind91

Feb 27th 2014, 7:08

Ever since I saw Heath Ledger as the Joker I realised that any actor could surprise people. Therefore, I am keeping an open mind about this.

• apo1978

Feb 27th 2014, 13:14

At least he's sporting a Darth Vader Helmet haircut in the above pic...

Feb 27th 2014, 18:23

People really need to stop using Ledger as an example to justify casting decisions, Heath had already proven himself prior to that role.

• Murphy0806

Feb 28th 2014, 13:35

For anyone who hasn't seen Adam Driver in Girls he is the best thing about a top quality programme. from the very start he had real screen presence. Saying that, this is a real step up. Also I believe he was a marine before he injured himself and took up acting so should have the physical side down.