Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. producer says Luke Cage is not in the show

Quashes speculation over J. August Richards’ character

Ever since the first teaser footage was revealed for Marvel’s Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D., rumours have begun to fly concerning which Marvel heroes might be making an appearance.

However, fans putting two and two together have apparently been coming up with five, particularly in the case of J. August Richards’ character, who had widely been assumed to be none other than Luke Cage.

Cage was one of the first African-American characters to head up his own comic-book, but according to show producer, Jeffrey Bell, that isn’t the part Richards is playing.

“It’s not the [character] people are talking about," says Bell. “Honestly, we were looking for this part, and we just said, 'Look, all our parts are open to all diversity.' So the fact that we have a black dude who is awesome and it's J, was just because he was the best actor. It wasn’t like, 'You know who…!'”

Back to the drawing board then, rumour-merchants. Perhaps we could start with just how Agent Coulson has managed to resurrect himself from the dead? That should keep you busy for a little while...

Are you excited for Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.? Tell us, below!

Comments

• mattburgess

May 16th 2013, 10:56

Personally, I think they won't take advantage of their own licencing permissions, and will use almost 100% new characters rather than touch on any that have already appeared in the comic books. That would be a shame...

• mattburgess

May 16th 2013, 11:03

My personal ideal for this show: make be believe these characters exist in a world where there are superheros. Just because you (probably) can't afford Robert Downey Jr doesn't mean you can't feature a quick Iron Man cameo here or there. I'd like to see some fall out from the battle in New York. What would it really be like for a normal person to live in a Marvel world? I don't want a generic, bland action show that ignores everything else for fear of treading on toes.

• jamescarr

May 16th 2013, 11:33

This suggests J. August richards may be playing a character that in the original comics may have been white?? mixing it up like they did with samuel L jackson as Fury. That makes thigs tricky he could be playing anyone

• SiMan

May 16th 2013, 12:36

I hope they don't have purely original characters in this show. That would almost be counter-productive to the movies trying to establish a cinematic version of the Marvel universe. It may be difficult for them to use too many mainstream characters though, as there would always be the chance of it conflicting with any lesser known villains being used in one of the main Marvel films in the future.

• SiMan

May 16th 2013, 12:37

Oh, and Agent Coulson - Life Model Decoy. Has to be.

• chibik

May 16th 2013, 12:50

@mattburgess: I'm with you on this one.

• joegilmartin

May 16th 2013, 13:17

I've watch the trailer and at 2:15 you see something that could be the quantum bands that belong to Quasar. Go have a look see what you think. I love Quasar as a character and I will give them a the chance to go off world and possible help build a lead into Guardians of the Galaxy. Let me know what you think. Cone TF where the trailer breakdown!!!

• joegilmartin

May 16th 2013, 13:18

Apologises awful grammar and spelling was typing all excited, sorry!

• mattburgess

May 16th 2013, 13:20

Hooray! Validation! :¬P

• trist808

May 16th 2013, 16:01

@mattburgess, I agree that they shouldn't ignore what happened in the 6 Marvel films so far, but the show needs to establish it's own identity and feel. I think a few cameos will help connect it to the films, Fury and Hill have to feature at some point surely? And maybe the Season 1 finale will have a major player from the films show up? I'm betting on it being Captain America as SHIELD will feature heavily in next year's Winter Soldier, he'd be the perfect candidate, plus Hawkeye and Black Widow (sorry Hadouken) are SHIELD agents, so I would assume they could potentially show up during an episode or two ... but if I'm honest as long as it's well written and entertaining, I don't mind who's in it, as long as it's good :)

• trist808

May 16th 2013, 16:02

Oh and I think the Coulson who died in Avengers was the LMD and its the real Coulson in the TV show ... but that's just my opinion.

• FBKSchlichter

May 16th 2013, 16:15

@SiMan Yeah, my guess has been that there is no actual, human Agent Phil Coulson. He's always been an LMD, or a series of LMDs. I'm fairly disappointed that they've gone out of their way to make a SHIELD series with no established SHIELD agent comic characters, ie Jimmy Woo or Clay Quartermain. Now they seem dead set against the guest spots and cameos for Cage and other "street" level heroes fans have been clamoring for since the whole MCU started up, when this would be just about the perfect venue for them. AoS is basically the idea launching platform for a Heroes for Hire spinoff down the road, and HfH also gives you a fantastic opportunity to introduce some serious superhuman diversity: if you build it around a cast of Cage, Iron Fist, Misty Knight, Colleen Wing, and Jessica Jones, you get a cast that is only 2/5 white, and where 3/5 are women (one of whom is one of the team's heaviest hitters).

May 16th 2013, 19:04

That's ashame cause the show would have been a great platform to launch Luke Cage.