Alien prequels set to be “really nasty”

So says returning director Ridley Scott

Alien

Sir Ridley Scott has revealed that we should expect his return to the Alien film franchise to pack quite a punch.

He’s already talked previously about the two 3D Alien prequels that are being lined up, and we know that he’ll be delving into the history of the giant ‘space jockey’ creature discovered in the first Alien way back when. We also know that it'll be set in the year 2058, 30 years before Ripley first entered the scene.

But in a new chat with The Independent, Scott said that we shouldn’t expect a watered-down horror from the new Alien flicks. The first film in particular, should be a nasty piece of work.

“The film will be really tough, really nasty,” Scott says. “It’s the dark side of the moon. We are talking about gods and engineers. Engineers of space. And were the aliens designed as a form of biological warfare? Or biology that would go in and clean up a planet?”

Sounds fittingly grandiose, but will de-mystifying the savage xenomorph make it less terrifying? Arguably, the ET hell beast has already been damaged by the Alien Vs Predators movies, so a new flick that returns its nasty should be just the ticket.

Excited for Scott’s new Alien flicks? Or think the franchise should be left alone? Talk to us…

In cinemas this week…

Comments

• garyu2

Sep 6th 2010, 9:32

The only 'nasty' thing these prequels will do is the damage done to the originals legacy. I dont even trust James Cameron or Ridley Scott to do a good Alien movie nowadays. Set 30 years before Ripley, hmmm.. abit like Star Wars Episode 1 then, I'm guessing we'll see a baby Ripley. Yippeeee! Just leave it alone.

Sep 6th 2010, 10:17

Okay why 2 movies and why 3D? Isnt that a little excessive? Beyond that I can't wait, unlike those muppets responsible for AVP, Ridley Scott knows how to make a film, tell a story, do tension and pace, he does movies grown ups, which mean it wont be watered-down for every 13yr old Daryl in Arkansaw.

Sep 6th 2010, 21:02

I don't really want the mystery of the Xenomorphs explained.

• Jacksbordom

Sep 7th 2010, 9:34

The first Alien film was and still is a benchmark in suspense horror. As with the original Jaws film the excitement was ramped up by keeping the creature off screen other than minimal cuts. This enabled the development of character and plot. I'm worried that by throwing technology such as 3d at the Alien brand it will just become part of the already bloated franchise. I have faith in Ridley Scott as both a director and a storyteller and hope he can do one of his most iconic film justice.

• HorrorHound94

Sep 7th 2010, 13:07

No! I cannot believe that Ridley Scott is back to directing these movies! I think Alien is a bad film! What about if it was co-directed by Camerona? That might work...

• HorrorHound94

Sep 7th 2010, 13:08

No! I cannot believe that Ridley Scott is back to directing these movies! I think Alien is a bad film! What about if it was co-directed by Cameron? That might work...

• FROGZHAT

Sep 10th 2010, 15:21

why do people write about films if they dont like em ? i love all the alien films and cant wait for the new ones - and if you dont want to watch em in 3d just watch the 2d ones

• Wmmvrrvrrmm

Sep 10th 2010, 19:14

Dear TotalFilm, I hate to break the news but this news is old, they've the taken quotes from Ridley about the Alien prequel from an interview with ScreenDaily last April. http://www.screendaily.com/news/production/ridley-scott-promises-nasty-alien-prequel-in-3d/5013108.article

• Attila

Jan 15th 2011, 13:07

I think it sounds promising! I'm a big fan of Alien I-III (not IV), of course it could go terribly wrong. But I think Scott might pull it off!

• Darth Jerusalem

Mar 2nd 2011, 14:38

@HorrorHound94, Alien is a bad film?!?!? I know it's just opinion but Alien is one of the greatest, if not the greatest horror film of all time. And it's easily in the top 5 most perfect sci-fi films ever to boot. But, like I said, opinion. Co-Directed by Cameron? While James Cameron does indeed make very near perfect (formulaic) films from a technical perspective, He lacks one thing that makes Ridley Scott, well, Ridley Scott. James Cameron is not a storyteller of great merit. Don't get me wrong, credit where credit's due, He makes fantastic looking films. But lets face it, the only really 'brilliant' films he has made are: The Terminator (1984), Aliens (1986) and Strange Days (1995) which Kathryn Bigelow directed. Ok, in all seriousness, Ridley Scott has made some not so great (bad) films: Bad - G.I. Jane (1997) and, not so great - Hannibal (2001) Yet even in these he still tells a story well. Bottom line is Cameron is a techie whereas Scott is a storyteller. Which is why Ridley Scott, always will be, the better director.