American Gods adaptation is on the way

Neil Gaiman talks new movie

american gods

Neil Gaiman’s novel American Gods is set to be made into a movie.

The British author has revealed that the rights to the novel have been sold and a top secret director has boarded the project.

Though no details beyond that are known, Gaiman is clearly very excited that one of his most celebrated works is to get the film treatment.

“There is one cinematographer and director on board,” he says, “who has many, many Oscars and is, I think, a genius.

“I love the fact that he fell in love with this about six or seven years ago and has not given up and just kept coming back and coming back.”

Released in 2001, American Gods follows ex-con Shadow, who travels through modern day America and faces numerous mythological creatures on his way.

Good? Or God? Looking forward to seeing Neil Gaiman's novel on the big screen? Drop us your thoughts below...

Comments

• blade32

Mar 28th 2011, 13:28

thats great news. wonder who the director is. Terry Gilliams a big fan and has been keen to do a Sandman movie for years, but I dont think he's an oscar winner is he?

• Jeffbiscuits

Mar 28th 2011, 14:03

Peter Jackson springs to mind too. The film would be a long time coming if he has the rights though. Does Del Toro have any oscars? Ang Lee?

• HollyBerry

Mar 28th 2011, 17:53

Tres exciting! I'll have to watch through my fingers though. Couldn't bear it if this turns out to be another adaptation that just rips up the source material for the sake of it...

Mar 28th 2011, 19:32

I like the Sandman where he asks John Constantine to retrieve a magic purse. In fact any Constantine movie would be a good one as long as he's a scouser and blond, maybe Paul Bettany. And CLive BArkers 'Thief od Always' is another one Id like to see, there was suppose to be an animated version 15 yrs ago, I havent heard anything of it since.,

Mar 28th 2011, 22:08

Yeah I love Constantine, he is such a cheeky but complex character, he has father issues and visits Hell like a trip to the pub.. Although I think it would hard to do a Sandman movie becuase its mostly a philosophical piece.. The 'test audience' (ie average Joes from Nowhere, Arkansaw ) wouldnt get their heads around it... having said that, Helena Bonham Carter would make a good role as Death or someone younger (please god not Atherton or *yawn* Knightly) maybe Emily Blunt.. As Sandman I reckon JOhnny Depp or Matthew Mcfayden, hmm have to dwell on it

• Chirurgie

Apr 8th 2011, 15:09

Adapting Death: The High Cost of Living in an arty movie style would be more successful than any Sandman movie attempts. Built-in sequel of Death: The Time of Your Life too :D American Gods is a good novel but I fear for any adaptations of this type if they can put all of it into a good movie.