Andrew Garfield talks Spider-Man

Discusses his preparation for that kiss

The press drive for The Amazing Spider-Man has finally started to click into gear with Andrew Garfield recently discussing the web-slinging reboot with The Times Of India, and the British star had some interesting things to say about the way he prepared for the role…

“There is the first kiss between Peter and his love interest, Gwen Stacy,” said Garfield when asked whether there were any iconic moments to look forward to. “I got to practise for that - although on my own, I must add! I practised kissing on my hand, arms and in the mirror. I was just hoping I'll remember how to kiss when the moment comes and not fumble.”

Nice to see the man has been putting the hours in. As for his efforts to understand the character, Garfield highlighted Spidey’s orphan status as one of the key components of his persona.

“I have tried to explore Peter Parker as an orphan,” says Garfield. "Orphans, I feel, are the strongest human beings on the planet. The amount of things they have to deal with in their lives is amazing.”

“I have tried to capture how Peter copes with the feelings of being an underdog, his confusions and his self-doubt ,” continues Garfield. “This, I hope, has brought a certain empathy and sensitivity to his character that helps him become the hero that he eventually turns out to be.”

So how will his Spidey compare to Tobey Maguire's incarnation? "I love the work that Toby did," says Garfield. "I've watched him in the earlier three movies as a fan and I feel that what he did was perfect. I would never even begin to compare myself with him, and I feel it's not the point either. This film is another chapter in the legacy of Spider-Man and my responsibility was to remain true to the core of the character . I've tried to do it as best as I could."

Big talk Andrew, but you did still admit to snogging your own arm. The Amazing Spider-Man opens in the UK on 4 July 2012.

How excited are you to see Garfield's take on Spidey? Tell us, below.

Comments

• FBGRoberts

Jan 30th 2012, 14:14

Very.

• FBGRoberts

Jan 30th 2012, 14:16

Scratch that; quite. He seems whiney sometimes. Social Network he got a bit punchey-in-the-facey towards the end, where he turned into a huge b***h. Good actor though, I do like him. Looking forward to him and Lizard doing their little upside down kiss. Emma STONE, though. That's where it's at.

• YorksProp

Jan 30th 2012, 14:54

If he can pull off the action side to Spiderman, then this bodes well. however I can't shake the feeling this is going to be a Twilight-inspired vision. Moody teen, massive hair, reluctant hero, just worried this'll be the tweener crowd pleaser. If so I'll simply skip it and continue with my life, be a shame to waste Emma Stone on it though if that is the case, as you say @FBGRoberts, she is indeed where it is at.

• FBGRoberts

Jan 30th 2012, 15:26

Agreed, buddy. Jedward hair on MY superhero?! No thanks!

• Indianabones

Jan 30th 2012, 15:59

I think it will be less action, but I feel we are in good hands with this. Has a good director and a great cast!

• FBSVelten

Jan 30th 2012, 16:26

Very much so!

• YorksProp

Jan 30th 2012, 16:28

@Indianabones hopefully so, though 500 Days of Summer was pretty far removed from Sam Raimi's Spiderman and so the character development may be better, but is that really required? I mean it's Spiderman, most people know who it is. I don't know, loved 1 & 2; 3 was a blown opportunity. I just can't get as excited for this as DKR or Avengers, maybe I'm just getting old and miserable!

Jan 30th 2012, 19:21

I am so jealous of Andrew getting to kiss Emma Stone.

• Siegfried

Jan 30th 2012, 22:41

Andrew Garfield is a fine young actor. I don't think anyone who has seen his moving performance in Boy A could deny that. So yes, I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with Spiderman.

• alexr

Jan 31st 2012, 9:13

@Ali1748 That now marks two of the three main cast of Social Network that have played tonsil hockey with Miss Stone. Just need her to do a Rom Com with Justin Timberlake and she'll have the set. Err, hold on a sec...wasn't she the girl dumping JT in the beginning of Friends With Benefits? ...hmmm

• Indianabones

Jan 31st 2012, 13:30

@Yorksprops, I think the first spiderman was a huge missed opportunity, I still can't watch the film without wishing he had gone with the Gwen Stacy story, but I rant and moan about this far to often and becoming quite repetitive so many apologies to anyone that has read my defence of this movie lol

• YorksProp

Jan 31st 2012, 16:38

@Indianabones in all honesty I'm not fully up on the whole comic book mythos. My knowledge stems from the cartoon on Fox Kids and what I read on wikipedia. I do think it has all the potential to be a good story but I think after Spiderman 3 my excitement for all things relating has taken a knock. Hopefully this will be the boost needed, and hopefully it will be intelligently done.

Jan 31st 2012, 17:25

alex - when did Jessie kiss Miss Stone ?

• alexr

Feb 1st 2012, 17:37

I'm pretty sure she kisses him in Zombieland...

• alexr

Feb 1st 2012, 17:40

I could be wrong...I was VERY VERY drunk when I saw it, but I'm fairly sure they kiss (or nearly kiss) maybe...hmmm...now I'm not so sure...have to go back and watch it again now, sans alcohol...

Feb 1st 2012, 20:41

Aw yeah I completely forgot about that.

Feb 1st 2012, 20:42

So all we need now is Arnie Hammer to complete her s**ttish quest of Social Network stars lol.

Feb 2nd 2012, 6:12

Seriously I can't even say sl u ttt issssh ? I wasn't even aware that was a curse word.

• alexr

Feb 2nd 2012, 11:57

You can't say s**ttish, but cuntish is ok...

• Murphy0806