Anne Hathaway as Catwoman and Tom Hardy as Bane in The Dark Knight Rises

Christopher Nolan confirms casting news

anne hathaway catwoman the dark knight rises tom hardy bane

The Dark Knight Rises casting speculation can officially end right now - Warner Brothers have confirmed that Anne Hathaway will be playing Selina Kyle, aka Catwoman, while Tom Hardy has been confirmed as Bane.

Catwoman has long been a fan favourite for Rises - despite that Halle Berry film - and Hathaway has been a front runner during recent casting calls.

In the comics the character is high class cat burglar of questionable moral character who forms a complex love/hate romance with Bruce Wayne/Batman.

Hardy, who was cast before Christmas and thought to be attatched to any number of roles, will play Bane, who - unlike the joke of a character portrayed in 1997's Batman & Robin - is actually a genius military strategist and fearsome soldier driven insane by the super soldier serum 'venom'.

Bane famously broke Batman's spine during a confrontation in the Knightfall saga in the early 1990s, forcing Bruce Wayne to relinquish the mantle of the bat for a time.

Christopher Nolan stated, “I am thrilled to have the opportunity to work with Anne Hathaway, who will be a fantastic addition to our ensemble as we complete our story.”

On working again with Tom Hardy, Nolan said, “I am delighted to be working with Tom again and excited to watch him bring to life our new interpretation of one of Batman’s most formidable enemies.”

This news couldn't have come at a better time, with 2012's other superhero movies gathering all the column inches in recent weeks.

We're particularly excited about the announcement that Bane will be the villain - and seeing Hardy bring the monster to life - might we be seeing the long-awaited adaptation of Knightfall? We can only hope.

The Dark Knight Rises is released July 20 2012.

Catwoman? Bane? Best news ever?

Comments

• blackrainpr

Jan 19th 2011, 18:05

yaaay!

• MadMatt

Jan 19th 2011, 18:07

Disappointing that they're going with a character we've seen countless times before, I must be honest. Kind of hoped they wouldn't go the obvious Catwoman route and would take Goyer's advice and pick some more obscure villains. I guess he was overruled.

• Jeffbiscuits

Jan 19th 2011, 18:28

There's definitely some good news there. Bane is a great character and an intelligent, intense performance from Hardy could bring a suitable version of him to life in Nolan's Batman universe. Never been any kind of fan of Hathaway, but from what I've heard, her acting chops are not bad sometimes and we haven't seen a half decent Catwoman for twenty years now so maybe the time has come to give her a chance in a good film.

• Benmorse

Jan 19th 2011, 18:31

uh-oh. On the one hand, YAY ANNE HATHAWAY. She'll be ace. Buuuuuut.... Bane? really? Kelley Jones' art always made him appear larger than life, to the point that when they copied it in the 97 movie, it looked ridiculous. I have total faith in Nolan to pull this off, but at the risk of a poor pun, has he made a rod for his own back (Bat?) by doing Knightfall?

• MisterAmj

Jan 19th 2011, 18:57

Come on guys! Have a little faith here. I remember when Heath Ledger (RIP) was cast as the Joker there was the same sort of mixed reaction. If there's anything Christopher Nolan has gotten right in all of his movies, it's the casting. Reckon Hardy and Hathaway are dead on perfect, and as long as Nolan sticks to his policy of keeping their origins real as opposed to outlandish, we may have a winner on our hands.

• rufus26

Jan 19th 2011, 19:19

Well.... big fan of total film, big batman fan. And i just wanted to write and say ha ha ha i got bane right!!! When news first broke of Tom Hardy cast in Batman I left a comment saying how good it would be to have him as Bane after seeing his performance of Bronson and have them follow Knightfall story line causing the trilog arch to end. Then there were doubters some ridiculing my comment - you know what its just nice to be right every once in a while. I now look forward to seeing how this new Bane is brought to the big screen and pray its nothing like the last incarnation. Still hope for hugo strange though. Keep up the good work. 2012 is gonna be one hell of a good year

• matty2392

Jan 19th 2011, 19:47

good news, can not wait for this Im sure it will be ace with Chris Nolan

• Alcatrazisland

Jan 19th 2011, 21:38

I thought it was fairly obvious that Nolan wa going with Catwoman next since the very un-subtle hint in The Dark Knight when Bruce asks Lucius Fox if the new armour would stop a cat and Fox answered someting along the lines of "It should stop a cat"

• affro360

Jan 19th 2011, 21:45

if there ever would be an awesome catwoman... nolan would be the one to produce it. ive got mixed feeling though if the film ends with bane breaking batman. but in nolan i trust!!

• affro360

Jan 19th 2011, 22:35

dalidad... state one thing that was wrong with the dark knight???

• BruceShark

Jan 19th 2011, 22:46

dalidad....you do realise that the Chris Nolan films have nothing to do with the Burton/Schumacer films. It treats the whole batman universe as if they didn't exist. So the Catwoman in this will have nothing to do with the one in Returns.

• mrblonde

Jan 19th 2011, 23:05

I like the casting of Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle/Catwoman. She's a good actress, looks the part and I'm sure she'll be great. Bane on the other hand I'm not too sure about at the moment. I like the character but much like Mr Freeze, see him as too fantastical to be a good fit for Nolan's Bat films. However, the fact that Tom Hardy has been cast in the role tells me that Nolan's interpretation of the character is going to significantly differ from that of the comics. Nolan has also proven with Heath Ledger (who originally thought he'd end up arguably being the best incarnation of The Joker?) that he can take an unlikely pairing of actor and character and turn it into gold. In Nolan I trust. I'm also curious to see whether the film makes light of the fact that Selina Kyle is allegedly the daughter of Carmine Falcone and whether he'll make a return in the 3rd film. I was hoping that they would feature Talia and Deadshot in the next film as they are two characters who haven't appeared in any of the previous Batman films but I'm pleased with Catwomans inclusion and believe in Nolan enough to believe that he and Hardy can make Bane a compelling presence on screen. Fingers crossed TDKR completes the first truly great superhero movie trilogy!

• MadMatt

Jan 19th 2011, 23:10

Alcatrazisland - I thought that was a nice tongue-in-cheek nod to the character's history, and should have stayed that way. How many Catwomen have we seen over the years on TV, film and animation? I'm sure this creative team will do a fine job as always, but that doesn't make me feel any less let down that they chose to revisit such an over-familiar character instead of using the opportunity to keep breaking new ground by plucking 'unknown' characters from the extensive rogue's gallery. On the plus side, the character is only referred to as 'Selina Kyle' in the press release, so perhaps they'll try something more imaginative and keep her out of the catsuit this time. If you'll pardon the expression.

• Jeffbiscuits

Jan 19th 2011, 23:11

dalidab1982. Where do you fit The Dark Knight into your (incredibly confused) Batman movie timeline? Oh, and the Adam West Batman motion picture? Do you think there are three different Jokers and does Christian Bales Batman still have the shark repellent bat spray?

• affro360

Jan 19th 2011, 23:30

dalidad... just by saying that heath was terrible is just plain wrong! was it because the dark knight was too scary and you prefer laughing while watching the batman movies??

• filbert77

Jan 19th 2011, 23:39

I can just see it, before he injects the Venom - "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling". Classic.

• filbert77

Jan 19th 2011, 23:49

@dalidab1982 I'm sorry.. But the whole idea of the Joker is that he embodies total and utter anarchy and madness, so not giving him an origin in the Dark Knight was a bloody good decision for many Batman fans. And Heath Ledger was completely brilliant as The Joker... Jack Nicholson wasn't bad, but his Joker wasn't believable. He was satire and funny, but not dark and dangerous as every Batman film should be. Chris Nolan has made him believable and brilliant, and it was a fine final role for the great Heath Ledger. You needs to be learning some things about good movies, my friend.

• Jeffbiscuits

Jan 19th 2011, 23:54

dalidab1982, I wish there were more people in the world that got as excited about films as yourself and I hope you post here for a long time to come. :)

• deedeedragons

Jan 20th 2011, 0:28

Anne Hathaway, really? well he did cast Katie Holmes so i guess Nolan has chinks in his armour.

Jan 20th 2011, 2:07

Will Joeseph-Gordon Leviit still be in it ? (Not as the RIddler)

Jan 20th 2011, 4:03

Anne Hathaway will make a tremendous Catwoman, once she dons the leather suit teenage boys across the globe will be fapping themselves silly. As for Bane I am a little surprised by that choice, it's a strange villain for the type of universe Nolan has been sticking too.

Jan 20th 2011, 4:06

Hadouken - JGL hasn't be cast to appear in the film and Nolan stated awhile back that The Riddler wasn't going to be in TDKR.

• NatGr07

Jan 20th 2011, 7:19

Great news! To see Tom in new Batman film - sounds epic!!!

• nacho316

Jan 20th 2011, 10:21

AAAANNYYY WWAAAYYYY this news has given me a massive b***r and can not WAIT for 2012 ;)

• TheTingler

Jan 20th 2011, 12:30

Excellent news, I'm very excited. If Nolan wanted a definitive Batman trilogy, it had to have Selina Kyle in it. To those of you annoyed that they went with the "predictable" route of Catwoman, I've got two words for you: "the" and "Joker". Hell, Two-Face has been seen more recently than even Catwoman, and both the Michelle Pfeiffer and Halle Berry versions were totally unlike the comic book versions. They were far more supernatural. And Bane is just a wonderful surprise. He's the only villain to properly defeat Batman, and he didn't do it just by being strong - he did it by being patient and cunning. We've already had the Arkham break-out part of Knightfall too! My money's still on either Hugo Strange or Oswald Cobblepot making an appearance too though.

• TheTingler

Jan 20th 2011, 12:30

• Rusco87

Jan 20th 2011, 20:00

I know that everyone is going to be saying bad things about these choices, and the response to that will mainly be that people moaned when Heath was cast as the joker, then everyone was amazed. But it definitely seems as if Goyer has been undermined here in him wanting to write in tone with the other two of Nolan's Batman films. On a plus it will be more of a challenge for Nolan to get Bane and Cat-women to be believe characters is his "Batman genre" as they are two characters we would usually compare to Tim Burton's Batman. Personally I think that Batman: Arkham City (Arkham Asylum 2) has played effect on how this film is shaking up, in turns of character choice. Cat-women is a poor choice of character for this film. Rachel is dead, so they desperately needed a female interest, and took an easy option, Batman is a male driven comic and doesn't need the female interest to keep a story going. I would have liked to see Tom Hardy pull off The Black Mask, but we will have to wait and see what Nolan does with it. To be honest it seems really rushed, and I hope the WHOLE thing will be shot in IMAX this time, not little segments, and hope Nolan stays away from 3Ding this up.

• Mattsimus

Jan 21st 2011, 20:49

Hahaha Dalidab1982 is officially the worlds biggest w****r! Not only because you clearly preferred forever / Robin to begins and dark knight but cos you said Heath was terrible!!!!! Lol, love the mixed reviews n opinions guys but s**t c'mon! Not hot on Catwomen although loved the character in returns so makes sense shed be in it as also Bruce lost his last Love interest! N a strange choice to mix with bane but an improvement over poison ivy hehe I'm for Dark knight rises n Dalidab is for teletubbies yyyaaaaayyyyyy. Focker Out!!!!

• Mattsimus

Jan 21st 2011, 22:41

Wow um ok well I guess I stand corrected hahaha I mean really did ya really need three speeches to tell me ur looking forward to rises? I'm gonna apologise now mate cos I can only gather from ur response that ur kinda young n got quite irate by my comment!!!!! So relax, take it easy n go have a milk shake or summin! Plus u think to compliment Heath in so many movies n then call him terrible in dark knight is normal?bit strange I think, but you said it, it's ur opinion!!! N that's mine so Focker Offer hahaha

Jan 21st 2011, 23:15

Is it me or does dalidab come across as a special needs kid ?

• BatmanOriginal

Jan 22nd 2011, 22:57

MY LIFE IS TOTALLY RUINED!!!! f**k catwoman ok! seriously! there are at least 3 other rly awesome female roles that have never been explored through the films of batman! ANNE HATHAWAY=RLY BAD CASTING CHOICE! harley quinn, Smoke, and the other one i cant pronounce... i mean really he couldnt have went with someother female characther. SOMEONE GOT LAZY

• stinkydropkick

Jan 23rd 2011, 17:46

Hardy as Bane = WIN easy. And to be honest, I can see Catwoman having a particularly minor role with more screen time and plot to Selina Kyle. Akin to Dent's outing in the Dark Knight. A love interest to add complication to Batman's 'fugitive' bit.

• jho7783

Feb 22nd 2011, 15:29

@dalidab1982 Did you just say you are autistic and homosexual and scary in one breath. I mean seriously you must be 12 yrs. old or something. You also compared yourself to Bruce Wayne/Batman in a real life. When did the psych wards allow internet access? If this is not a child it is the most pathetic thing I have ever read. I in no way do I believe this person is autistic as I have an autistic brother and I find it absolutely deplorable to use a very real and serious affliction as a sympathy tool. I suggest you grow up and quit being a d***hebag.

• FBRMeeting

Feb 16th 2012, 5:39

http://www.richmeeting.com/ You may want to make a change to your current life even it is not bad. But many people want to have another new found, ---- richmeeting'c 'o 'm, D_a_t_e___r-i-c-h___P_e_o_p_l_e___H_e_r_e it's a wonderful site for dating it’s worth a try!