Antoine Fuqua says 24 movie isn’t happening

“I don’t think it’s gonna happen at all”

While loyal fans still wait with bated breath for news on the long-gestating 24 movie, Antoine Fuqua has poured cold water on their excitement by suggesting the film probably won’t ever get made.

Fuqua was attached to direct the project since last year, but has recently given an update on the state of play with the film, and suggests that it’s stuttered altogether to a halt.

“Yeah, that’s not happening,” said Fuqua, when asked by The Playlist about the project. “I don’t think it’s gonna happen at all, definitely not with me.

“I met with Kiefer [Sutherland], Fox wanted to do it, it was a matter of his schedule before he went off to do his new show. I don’t think he was able to get a proper agreement with Fox. The time just passed, and I went off to go to what I was doing.”

All of which doesn't sound particularly hopeful for the future of the project. Whether we see it revived a little way down the track remains to be seen, but we certainly won’t be holding our breath…

Are you still keen on a 24 movie? Tell us, below!

Comments

• SiMan

Mar 12th 2013, 13:33

Booooooo

• SiMan

Mar 12th 2013, 13:34

They've probably left it too long now anyway.

• Desperation

Mar 12th 2013, 19:55

A 24 movie isn't needed anyway, and never was. It was a tv show, a damn good tv show, and it ended. Let's move on with our lives.

• Andy85

Mar 12th 2013, 19:58

I love 24 but I genuinelly think a movie wouldn't work. The show is fast paced, fenetic and it's storyline constantly changing throughout each season. To cram that into a 1:30 / 2:00 hr film would make it seem rushed and inconsistent in a considerably reduced running time. The TV movie worked sure because A) It was made for TV and therefore didn't have to worry about the budgeting and advertisement that would naturally be present with a potential blockbuster and B) It was setting up a premise for a following season so was allowed to evolve at a more leisurelly pace where as a 24 film would be made to cap the franchise altogether so would need to match if not outperform the action / conflict contained in the series. Season 8 was a nice sentimental resolution to the 24 universe and it should realise when to quit while it's ahead.

Mar 13th 2013, 6:02

Yeah it's too late now.

• alanajane

Mar 16th 2013, 5:24

Never, never too late for Bauer! This is an amazing show, and Keifer Sutherland is incredible in this role I could never get enough of him.......... Very surprised to see some of these comments. TV does not get better than this - and Keifer is irreplaceable! Screw this director get a new one, they cheesed out season 8 with the new CTU etc and I think this show would forever be a hit given it was done properly