Arnold Schwarzenegger confirms Terminator 5 role and start date

Filming set to begin in January

Earlier this week we learned that Paramount is in talks to secure the distribution rights for Terminator 5, and now there’s further good news for fans of the series, with Arnold Schwarzenegger confirming his on-screen return.

Speaking to fan-site TheArnoldFans, the star revealed that he would be appearing in the fifth film, and that production is set to begin at the beginning of next year.

“I’m very happy that the studios want me to be in Terminator 5 and to star as the Terminator,” confirmed Schwarzenegger. “We start shooting in January and I’m also going to do King Conan – to play that role and also to do another Twins movie.”

We’ll reserve judgment on the last part of that quote, but it’s exciting to learn that Arnie is back on board the Terminator bandwagon, and that the wheels are back in motion for the fifth film.

Hopefully we’ll soon have confirmation of a new director, with Justin Lin having dropped out earlier in the project’s life-cycle. Could a January start be a better fit for his schedule? We shall see…

Are you pleased to see Arnie returning? Tell us, below!

Comments

• 2Dglasses

Jun 14th 2013, 10:01

Star as the Terminator in approaching old age? "Its in your nature to destory yourselves"

• chibik

Jun 14th 2013, 10:06

Copious amounts of CGI make-up?

• RaveyDaveyGravy

Jun 14th 2013, 10:23

I feel lots of Mo Cap coming on

• trist808

Jun 14th 2013, 10:53

The Terminator had real living tissue over it's metallic body, it was a cyborg, not just a machine. I know it's maybe a bit of a stretch but theoretically, if a Terminator unit stayed functioning long enough, it could age and look older as the skin/living tissue naturally ages just like a human ... it would explain how a now 66yr old Arnie could still play the part without it being (too) ridiculous.

• chibik

Jun 14th 2013, 12:12

@trist808: While your theory is plausible, I still don't see why anyone would want to make a movie of such a cyborg. If it were anyone but Arnie, they'd have him recast in a second.

• TwoBobRuss

Jun 14th 2013, 12:51

I pray its an error and he is only involved as the man the original Cyborg was modeled on. I am hoping this film takes us towards the end of the war and he only appars in a flashback as an old man in crisis over what he was a part of!

• revan1138

Jun 14th 2013, 13:09

this is not a good idea unless they use the same technique they used in salvation.i enjoyed salvation and was hoping bale would return for a sequel but am guessing that won't happen now.

• stonedjohn

Jun 14th 2013, 13:15

@TwoBobRuss - I've seen this come up a lot (Arnie playing the 'man the cyborg' was based on) but wouldn't that be wrong. Please correct me if I've gotten this wrong, but the history of the future that's laid out in parts 1 and 2 (aka the ones where they should have left it) and the cyborgs were created after the machines rose up - so why would there be a human version of the design? I was really glad they cut that atrocious scene from T3 as aside from going against this, it would have also raised the question "Why wasn't that redneck arrested when the Terminator took out a whole police station in 1984 and then started raising hell again after suddenly 'reappearing' in the 90s?" I do think the mo-cap route would be the best solution - it was the highlight of Salvation when proper 80s Arnie appeared out of nowhere and the technology to do this has surely improved to remove the blatant CGI-ness....maybe... :)

• richardweber

Jun 14th 2013, 14:00

They'll find a Terminator that has buried underground for about twenty years in a sealed vault to explain the ageing. After all, their power cells last 120 years, or so it said in T2, so it could survive by switching itself to minimal power mode and going into suspended animation.

• BobTheSkull

Jun 14th 2013, 14:04

As much as i'm sure this is a very bad idea (even more-so than parts 3 & 4), someone mentioned the other day something that could work if they used it. Perhaps Arnie will play a Terminator who was sent to the wrong time and has either been offline or waiting. To me that would perhaps be more interesting than the probable c**p of glossing over Arnie's age, or going the CG route.

• TwoBobRuss

Jun 14th 2013, 14:13

@stonedjohn Why make him look human at all then? It was so he would blend in when they sent him back. So maybe there was an Arnie looking scientist that was sympathetic to the AI when everyone else just wanted to use them and treated them like machines and therefore they used his image.

• TwoBobRuss

Jun 14th 2013, 14:18

But to be honest, if they wanted to send a macine back to kill Sarah Connor I dont know why they bothered to disguise him. Makes no sense really.

• LSJShez

Jun 14th 2013, 14:31

I like Trist's theory. But I'm still going to pencil this in as a date to sh!t myself. Without Cameron it's just pointless. In my eyes, Judgment Day was averted at the end of 2, humanity saved. T3 and Salvation were just exploitation pics in an alternate universe, or some such c**p. Like Aliens Vs Predator or something.

• 2Dglasses

Jun 14th 2013, 15:43

TBH ignoring the T3 deleted scene this could make sense, IF they establish arnie as a pivotal figure in john connors resistance and therefore someone who it would make sense to imitate. Arnie plays a human who feels guilt over the terminators having his likeness and goes on 'one last mission' to destroy them alongside conner and chekov and insert rapper. Use CGI for the terminators. But please do a coherent plot first and then write arnies character into it, dont make it for its own sake.

Jun 14th 2013, 16:50

This is going the way of the Die Hard series. Unless he fights Dr Who.

• trist808

Jun 14th 2013, 18:57

Now THAT would be epic Terminator Vs Dr Who ... bet there'd be a lto of runnign away in that confrontation eh Smithy?

• trist808

Jun 14th 2013, 18:58

*lot of running (must not type fast when drunk)

Jun 14th 2013, 19:57

he would escape in a Delorean.. crossovergasm ahoy!

Jun 14th 2013, 22:23

Screw T5 I am more excited for King Conan.

• RachelGat2

Jun 15th 2013, 0:43

Caleb. I see what you mean... Marcus`s story is unimaginable... on tuesday I got a great Ford Focus after I been earnin $9950 this past 5 weeks and-more than, $10 thousand this past month. with-out a doubt this is the most financially rewarding I've ever done. I began this seven months/ago and almost straight away was making more than $79 per-hr. I follow instructions here,, BrOrW6.rCrOrMrr

• dojj singh

Jun 15th 2013, 21:49

the machines can't just keep sending him back, the humans can't just keep reprogramming him and then sending him back, so this has got to be a whole new direction, they could base it on some of the dark horse comic storylines which were very good (like the one where they also sent humans back with plasma rifles sewn into them etc)

• crystakura

Jun 17th 2013, 10:28

just when I thought I had finally purged all memory of Terminator 3 THIS happens.

• uktimemachine

Jun 17th 2013, 10:46

If he needs a Delorean Time Machine, have him give me a call at my lab!