Arnold Schwarzenegger will return as Conan

He’ll reappear in The Legend Of Conan

Not only has Arnold Schwarzenegger returned to Hollywood, he’s doing so with a vengeance, with a reprisal of his role as Conan the Barbarian the latest addition to his increasingly busy slate.

Schwarzenegger will team up with Universal to revive the flagging franchise with The Legend Of Conan, a follow-up story that will gloss over the events of the Arnie-starring sequel and the disappointing 2011 reboot.

“The original ended with Arnold on the throne as a seasoned warrior,” says producer Fredrik Malmberg, “and this is the take of the film we will make. It’s that Nordic Viking mythic guy who has played the role of king, warrior, soldier and mercenary, and who has bedded more women than anyone, nearing the last cycle of his life. He knows he’ll be going to Valhalla, and wants to go out with a good battle.”

Screenwriter Chris Morgan is currently hard at work on the script, and can’t quite believe his luck from the sounds of his gushing tribute to the original.

“After the original seminal movie, all that came after looked silly to me,” says Morgan. “Robert E Howard’s mythology and some great philosophy from Nietzsche to Atilla the Hun was layered in the original film. People say, he didn’t speak for the first 20 minutes of the film, but that was calculated in depicting this man who takes control of life with his own hand.

“This movie picks up Conan where Arnold is now in his life, and we will be able to use the fact that he has aged in this story. I love the property of Conan so much that I wouldn’t touch it unless we came up with something worthy. We think this is a worthy successor to the original film. Think of this as Conan’s Unforgiven.”

Universal is apparently pencilling this one in for 2014, so expect to hear word on a director and supporting cast in the next few months. Until then, we’ll leave the last word to Arnie…

“I always loved the Conan character and I’m honoured to be asked to step into the role once again,” says Schwarzenegger. “I can’t wait to work with Universal and the great team of Fredrik Malmberg and Chris Morgan to develop the next step of this truly epic story.”

Are you excited for Conan's return? Tell us, below!

Comments

• spoonlamp

Oct 26th 2012, 8:51

I've been talking about this for years - this film needs to be a good adap of the David Gemmell novel "Legend" - it's practically written for him! Arnie for Druss!

• Monkeynuts30

Oct 26th 2012, 9:59

Massive, massive Druss fan but I honestly can't picture Arnie as the Silver Slayer.... too much potential to turn the Captain of the Axe into a ham and cheese special. That character needs someone winter cold and granite hard. Best I can think of off the top of my head is Lundgren; but that's only a few minutes of thought so don't hold me to that.

• GarthMarenghi

Oct 26th 2012, 14:20

BEST. NEWS. EVER!

Oct 26th 2012, 20:27

The reboot really wasn't that bad. Next I'll be hearing that Predator 3 is in the pipeline.

• PhoenixWright

Oct 26th 2012, 22:03

Momoa was fine in the role, but the film around him was plasticky, soulless and boring just like all of Marcus Nispel's remakes. As competent as Momoa was, he made you acutely aware of just what a charismatic screen presence Arnold is, and how he elevated the original. This must be a first, actually; a series consigned to the dustbin with a remake and a new actor, which is then ignored when the original series is revived. I can't think of a good example, anyway (OHMSS wasn't a reboot/remake). I do hope they bring back Milius. I know some hardline fans disliked the fact that he veered away from the 'sacred text' and incorporated some of Kull's stories, but Conan The Barbarian is pretty damn great entertainment. Mythic, epic, but with a hint of quirk and warmth to off-set pomposity. This really is wonderful news.

• spoonlamp

Oct 26th 2012, 22:54

@Monkeynuts - Lundrgren I could definitely go with, but I just reckon Arnie has the 'film baggage' to help (thinking of the way Tarantino riffed on expectations of actors prvious body of work). Clint probably could have done it with some heavy workouts, but he's too old and thin now. The Momoa film is the biggest fear for me. The way these sort of sword and sandal films are all turning to CGI in such a heavy way is not good. (Clap of Tightarses?) The original worked so well because so much of it was real blokes who seemed unreally huge and could knock out a camel.

• fuckyoomiller

Oct 3rd 2013, 19:04

Didn't they want to make a king conan film with Schwarzenegger for the past 20 years now? Anyway since conan the barbarian is not about the two bit character foremost and more about the narration and lush vibrant fantasy universe around him i strongly doubt Hollywood will come even close to Robert E. Howards original vision of the hyborian age. They are not able to pull it off.