Avatar 2 and 3 will be shooting back-to-back

Entire cast set to return

James Cameron has revealed that he’s currently busily writing the scripts for Avatar 2 and 3, which he plans to shoot back-to-back.

With the sequels set to enter cinemas in December 2014 and 2015 respectively, the director confirmed what he’s spent the first 25 days of January doing.

“I am in the process of writing the next two Avatar films now,” he says.

“We are planning to shoot them together and post them together, and we will probably release them not quite back to back, but about a year apart. Christmas ’14 and ’15 is the current plan.”

Meanwhile, Cameron revealed that he hopes most of the first film’s cast will return for the sequels, noting: “If you survived the first film, you get to be in the second film, at least in some form.”

Finally, the director revealed his softer side when he explained that a percentage of the sequel profits will be given to charity:

“Some percentage of the presumably-massive Avatar sequel gross will go to charity. Fox has partnered with me to donate a chunk of the profits to environmental causes that are at the heart of the Avatar world.

“I didn’t want to make more Avatar movies without a grander plan in place.”

Think shooting back-to-back sequels is a bad idea? Or can Cameron get it right? Dish out your thoughts below...

Comments

• StuartLightyear

Jan 25th 2011, 10:54

Glad to see these get started! Hopefully the script for the sequels can be a bit stronger than that of the first film which was pretty much 'Pocahontas' with Na'vi, not that i didn't love it for the visuals of course!

• ilikescifi

Jan 25th 2011, 11:25

Donating a percentage of the profits gives some credibility to Cameron's eco-saga, in the first film I was torn between thinking 'This is beautiful and sensible' and 'What a brazen display of film financing' Either way, I loved it despite it's flaws and look forward to 2 more.

• TheCrooze

Jan 25th 2011, 11:37

Oh my goodness. Another one? The first one was bad enough. Sure the effacts and that were great but what pathetic writing. I almost fell asleep in the cinema. I'm determined not to see Avatar 2 and 3. I can spend my money on better things than that. And so can the studio.

• ChrisWootton

Jan 25th 2011, 11:52

I think it's done now isn't it? Does it really require a further 2 instalments? I genuinely don't think I'll bother.. but thanks Jim

• ashleyrhys

Jan 25th 2011, 12:55

Another mediocre spectacle of "CGI at its best" while the storyline suffers and Sam Worthington acts badly.

Jan 25th 2011, 16:58

It's gonna be hard to top the first one, that experience in the IMAX was magical.

• TheEnigma

Jan 26th 2011, 0:35

I love how all the haters come seeping out of the cracks... Avatar = Entertainment.. Do I really wanna bring my superior intellect in2 these movies...? Am I seriously that high on my own opinions...? Do I really want 2 spend my time picking apart these movies...? Answer = No. I just wanna go watch something that takes me away for 2-3 hrs of my somewhat boring and s****y life...