Avatar 2 has “rough story”

Just don’t expect it anytime soon...

If all that racket down at the cinema is anything to go by, you lot just can’t get enough of Avatar.

Well, how’d you feel about a sequel?

James Cameron spoke to gossipy American news channel E! at the Producers Guild of America Awards last night, and confirmed that he’s definitely looking to follow up his green-fingered opus. He even says he’s got a “rough story” in mind.

“We just have to come up with a great story, which we haven't done yet. I have a rough story,” the movie trendsetter said. “But you need to make a script, so that might take some time. Don't start going to buy your tickets.”

The first Avatar officially passed Titanic yesterday as the biggest selling movie ever. So it’s no surprise that Cameron wants to build the flick into a franchise. After all, he’s trying to run a business over there.

But where would the plot go? If the first was a riff on Native Americans mixed with 9/11 Iraqi text (we’d call it subtext, but really it’s pretty damn obvious), the second would no doubt extend those themes into new territory. Guantanamo Bay maybe?

Do you want to go back to Pandora? Show that comments box some lovin'...

Comments

• whateverman

Jan 26th 2010, 9:26

As long as the his "rough story" is better than the last film. IMO I thought the effects were awesome and that it is a film you must see in the cinema. But once you get past all the CGI and 3D you find a really lame and ripped off story.

• manfromthezoo

Jan 26th 2010, 12:16

Hhhm...I don't know that I'd agree. Ripped off from what exactly? Besides, I think we're sometimes a little too expectant of labyrinthine plot developments these days. I think it tells a nice, straight-up story, with a suckerpunch - and to be honest, I've missed that a lot of late. Besides, you need to contextually consider the story in it's settings - I wasn't expecting 'Primer' or 'Memento' with blue aliens, you know? What I will say, is that I'm not sure about a sequel. I'd much rather see 'Avatar' book-ended with a kick-a*s Blu-ray extended set, that is the final, and definitive word on it?

• ilikescifi

Jan 26th 2010, 13:49

sequel is inevitable so it would be interesting to find out why navi needed to be warriors in the first place, eg prequel involving all the other tribes and native races or/and i would really like to see a 'james cameron' future earth like the one promised at the end of alien resurrection

• pimpernel

Jan 26th 2010, 15:58

Well, much as 'sequel' must be the feared word for anything remotely good, ilikescifi is probably right - it's an inevitability. The Iraqi (sub)text could provide something. With whatever company that was driven out, proper earth army could try to subdue Pandora - make it a proper war. Coz, let's be honest, what's the likelihood that humans would just give up? Especially is "unobtainium" (*cough cough* oil!) is concerned.

• Andy85

Jan 26th 2010, 21:57

Did anyone else view this film as a real life much bigger version of Fern Gully?? Probably just me, but I also thought that the Navi women were looking pretty hot by the end of the film?? Of course they are going to make a sequel they try and flog anything that makes even a bit of money and this made tons e.g. there are 4 Die Hards, 4 Rambo's, 6 Saw's 3 Pirates of the Caribbean, 4 Rocky's, 4 Terminators and the list goes on and on. I predict there will be at least another 2 sequels in the near future, possibly a spin off TV series and then prequels in the more distant future, inevitable without a doubt.

• yosarian25

Jan 26th 2010, 23:20

Manfromthezoo-it's ripped off from the New World. It does tell a nice, straight up story, unfortunetly Terrence Malick told it first. Maybe Cameron's rough plot idea comes from the plot synopsis he read from Tree Of Life and he's just waiting for that to come out before he writes Avatar 2. Or he could just print the script out off of the internet and take a black marker and write "This except the people are all blue and it's on a planet called Pandora." Don't get me wrong, I love James Cameron, but Avatar, plot wise, is just Pocahontas with better drawings.

• Mattsimus

Jan 27th 2010, 0:59

Pocahontas? Ferngully? mmmm oh dear, can we never please anyone, anyway im pretty sure that a trilogy is inevitable, especially since 1) Cameron said he was doing it anyway....and 2) Now highest box office movie of all time! is it really such a bad thing? no! lets see how the story unfolds, lets face it the technology is already there so he wont have to spend a millenia on it so can now focus on the story and script, which in my opinion was the only thing regarding Avatar that needed maintanance! Lets be positive...........It deserves its place among fantasy....

• blackrainpr

Jan 27th 2010, 3:24

Avatar was a great movie the story well it's true is a cliche but hey why james cameron is the king of the world, cuz' he knos how to make a movie, abit the sequel if james had in mind well is gonna be good.... i hope so lol I'm with Andy85 a lot of sequel is just sick Paranormal Activity 2, Cloverfield 2, Wall Street 2,Star Trek Ghostbuster 3 the list keeps going and going is just ridiculous. But if the movies are good hey im in! RIP Spider-Man 4 lol

• Jcoyle

Nov 28th 2010, 14:16

All were ever seeing now at cinemas are remakes of films that didnt need remaking ie. Karate Kid and i think its great that we have something new for a change. The story was pretty lame but the movie experience as a whole was amazing, afterall that is what were paying for an experience of something new arent we? I wouldn't sit and watch the film over and over like i may do with other films but it deffinately left a dent in my mind about pandora and the navi. Hopefully Cameron will grind out a story thats better this time along with the great experience of the last movie, i can imagine the sea of pandora to be a vast and amazing place.