Avatar trailer is here!

The future of movies, then?

The first teaser trailer for James Cameron's ever-so slightly hyped sci-fi thriller Avatar is finally online.

It's beautiful and strange and lush, but while the landscape and spaceshippy imagery looks wondrous, the character models do seem a tiny bit... videogame cut-sceneish.

Watch below (in French) and let us know what you think in the Comments - or @totalfilm us on Twitter...

(Courtesy of FirstShowing.Net)

Comments

• sapperwilde8976

Aug 20th 2009, 16:04

This trailer is amazing, this has been on my to see list since i heard they were making the film. Should be very good if the trailer is anything to go by.

• paddyg11

Aug 20th 2009, 16:08

The first thing I thought when I saw the trailer was, the same as TF, how video game-y some of it looked. I don't know if that's the s**ttness of non-Cameron Approved™ screens or how it's meant to be, but being one of the few unlucky people on this earth who can't watch 3D films (dodgy eyes, essentially, although not that crossed, we're not talking Thom Yorke here) I worry if i'll ever get a proper chance to see it. Is it likely to be shown in non 3D, or does he just not want me to see it do you think?

• ChrisSmyth

Aug 20th 2009, 16:09

The trailer looked... interesting. Not sold yet on the look of the look of the Avatar's though. Still really looking forward to seeing this but peg me slightly disappointed - hope the movie has an actual plot instead of relying on this new technology and action set pieces.

• ChrisSmyth

Aug 20th 2009, 16:11

Slightly underwhelmed - hopefully there will be a solid plot and good characters as well as big action sequences and 3D effects. At the end of the day you can have all the flashy effects you like but if you cannot connect with a character then the film will not be that great.

• AYBGerrardo

Aug 20th 2009, 16:45

"videogame cut-sceneish" is a good way of putting it. The Na'vi don't look to fit their environment. Maybe the remaining months of post-production will fix it, or perhaps they just need to be seen in 3D. At any rate, they're the first things that stand out when watching the trailer - so watch it again and you'll see the rest looks breathtaking. Could it possibly be as good as Aliens?

• scabo33

Aug 20th 2009, 17:07

Dosent look like anything too special at the moment... Blue men just isint enough to blow me out of the water yet! Mayb its a bit over hyped?

• geekstinkbic

Aug 20th 2009, 17:11

Jeepers that looked like sub-standard Lucas effects!! Ja Ja Binks me thinks :O(

• geekstinkbic

Aug 20th 2009, 17:12

Sub-standard Lucas Effects? Blue Ja Ja Binks?

• mattburgess

Aug 20th 2009, 17:31

I just lost all faith. Looks absolutely awful.

• mattrix33

Aug 20th 2009, 19:00

That looks awful,it is way to CG. It might as well been a new pixar movie. I know trailers can be misleading and you have to wait for the full release before expressing a real opinion...but im dissapointed

Aug 20th 2009, 19:07

It looks interesting.

• Wintermute

Aug 20th 2009, 20:16

I've previously been putting off all pant-wetting exploits regarding this film, deciding to await footage before exclaiming it the greatest thing ever ... only having now seen the trailer I can't say it looks any more exciting than the decidely lame Star Wars prequels. Okay, so the initial build up is promising but the second the lanky blue buggers show up it all turns into a Lucas-fuelled nightmare and disappears under layers of decidedly average CGI. Considering T2 is now over 10 years old this supposed "revolutionary" new film lacks any of the impact that film had on me as a child ... perhaps it's because we're so inundated with CGI laden blockbusters now that none have any spark or wow factor. Compared to the wonderful "District 9" which fuses FX and intelligence to stunning effect I'm going to have to see a LOT better than this to change my modd from that of bitter disappointment. Sure, so it may look great in 3D but three dimensions maketh not a great film ... takes a great deal more than technical wizardry to impress me Mr. C ...

• scabo33

Aug 20th 2009, 21:25

i have no doubt it wll be amazing to look at...but it just has to be beter storywise... Google Avatar trailer.. Theres a lot of fan boys attacking Cameron already!!!

• theframe

Aug 20th 2009, 23:51

I think it looks freckin badass

• ashley.russell

Aug 21st 2009, 11:07

I think it looks awesome

• Peaf79

Aug 21st 2009, 11:50

Well at least it's something different and isn't a pointless remake! Sure it's going to be over hyped (aren't we doing that already?!?!?!?!) but I for one am looking forward to it!

• bont91

Aug 21st 2009, 12:20

it looks alright until them stupid blue things come up, yes its original but the plotline sounds atrooooocious! na'vi? give me a break, sounds like the chronicles of riddick to me

• zoodust

Aug 21st 2009, 12:56

judging by this trailer i don't see anything more groundbreaking than something zemeckis has done in the past. it looks like district 9 is going to stay the best sci-fi this year.

• Buried At Sea

Aug 21st 2009, 13:46

Wintermute wins.

• irish

Aug 21st 2009, 15:56

I guess I'm easier to impress, as I thought it looked terrific.But yes, story and character is more important, that's why so many people loved the original star trek tv series. It certainly wasn't for the effects :)

• smorges

Aug 21st 2009, 16:10

Clearly this movie is never going to live up to the hyperbole that has been coming out of Cameron's pie hole. It's Dances with Wolves in space meets Ferngulie and as from the trailer it looks like 90% of the movie is cgi, why not just make it all cgi? I don't see much improvement over Final Fantasy Spirits Within and that is 8 years old!

• ebyandsmartie

Aug 21st 2009, 16:21

Just saw the 20 minute Avatar Day screening at the BFI and can state it was rubbish! Watch 'Delgo' when it comes out (I saw it in Florida) same type of aliens, same type of story or 'Battle for Terra' which has the same plot lines as Avatar. From the man who wrote such great lines for the marines in 'Aliens' has the lead character (as a Na'Vi) talk such trash that Van Damme or Seagal would blush with embarrassment! AND THESE ARE THE BEST BITS THEY CAN SHOW US!!! The tech side looks good, ships and battle-suits, but yet again its all been done before. The bits we saw that were all CGI were no better than Pixar etc... Its all too kiddy friendly.

• mattburgess

Aug 21st 2009, 18:12

I can now say with absolutely certainty that I CAN NOT WAIT.... to see District 9! ;-)

• ashley.russell

Aug 21st 2009, 18:58

I think people were expecting a dark and gritty sci-fi action along the lines of Terminator or Alien when really its more like Pirates of the Caribbean. However having seen the extra footage in 3D I can say I was blown away by the 3D world, anyone who didn't sit there feeling like a kid at Disneyland is just souless and should just give up on life. Yeah its a family friendly film but by gosh is it pretty. You can't fault it for that.

• frostfacechilla

Aug 21st 2009, 20:06

well i'm gonna look like a jack a*s to all me mates since i've been ranting and raving about this film for ages. Now after seeing the trailer i'm gonna have to start trying to play everything I said down quite a bit...for what it is it, a sci-fi cg special effects flick, it might be top notch...but a revolutionary next major leap into the future of cinema experience, I think not...maybe best to wait for the finished product and see if there's something we're missing of the experience watching it on our minature screens in 2D!

• ADGCunningham

Aug 22nd 2009, 23:15

I went to watch the pre-screening and I think it looks awesome. The 3D and CGI are the best I've seen (though not perfect). The Na'vi are expressive but retain an alien feeling. Its not quite photorealistic but its easily better than anything you've seen before. The 3D complimented the scenes rather than defining them and after the first scene I lost the awareness of watching it in 3D, if you know what I mean. What makes the film look so good though is exactly why people are attacking it. Im not a huge cameron fan but it seems he's imagined a world of vast scope with an excellent set of characters within it. It is a story a little like Dances with Wolves but lots of films reboot old story formulas to great effect. Comparisons with Delgo are logical but superficial and the Ferngully comparison is ridiculous - based only on the fact its set in a rainforest - you might as well say its like predator (I say this as big FG fan as a kid). There have been some great films this year but I think this looks the best of them. I do think it will be the defining moment in film that everyone is hoping. Undoubtedly the technology can be improved but this is the first actually good film (Id recommend it in 2D as well) that has used 3D as a tool rather than a gimmick (mostly) and I personally wished they'd kept it secret until Dec 17th so I wouldnt be so excited.

• Mattsimus

Aug 24th 2009, 11:53

I think its safe to say its quite simply beautiful, a step in the right direction for cgi, fantasy and quality movie making especially from a director who has given us many a sci fi classic in the past. I gather the ppl that seem to have some kind of cgi/ computer game issue are those that either 1= spend far to long listening to the hype and opinions of others thus increasing their disapointment factor and dont really know what to expect and are unhappy everything or 2= Play far to many computer games in all of their spare time, lose track of reality and have nothing better to do than negativeley critasise technological evolution and pure movie making escapism. Get on the rollercoaster, enjoy the ride and think yourselves lucky the film wasnt made(i mean hatched) by a Mr G Lucas himself, this movie is going to blow all competition out of the water especially since the only decent movie released this summer was actually STAR TREK!!!!! Come on Cameron......BRING IT!

• JohnJDuffy

Aug 26th 2009, 14:21

WOW That looks absolutely s***e what a waste of money