Batman 3 Riddler rumours confirmed?

Joseph Gordon-Levitt 'interested'

Batman 3

Batman 3 rumours are escalating, with further indication The Riddler may feature, and that Joseph Gordon-Levitt is interested in the role.

FirstShowing.net got their hands on a casting grid for Batman 3, a document which lays out the roles in the movie and actors available to play them.

For Bat-fans, this is as close to confirmation that The Riddler will be appearing as you can get without hearing it from Nolan himself.

Perhaps even more exciting is the mention of Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who is listed next to The Riddler as 'interested'.

JGL has been touted for the role in fan circles for some time, and thanks to his high-profile performance in Inception is now well known to the general public.

We already know that Nolan likes to work with the same trusted actors in his film projects, so it is easy to see the director offering the versatile young actor the part.

The problem with the slow leak of rumours like these is that it always leaves us wanting more... it's going to be a long wait.

Batman is due to begin filming next year, and is set for release July 2012.

Should we perform Inception on Nolan to get JGL cast? Or would you prefer a different Riddler? Leave a comment!

In cinemas...

Comments

• badblokebob

Jul 21st 2010, 12:18

So long as he doesn't just come off as The Joke Mk.II, this is all well and good. Still reckon Catwoman would've been more of a change though. It'll be a shame not to see her get the Nolan treatment (assuming this is indeed the last Batman he does, which seems likely).

• KerrAvon

Jul 21st 2010, 13:10

He'd make a brilliant Riddler, let's hope this happens. Though Catwoman would be a nice touch as I can't see Robin making an appearance and we've had the sons of Batman idea already in the Dark Knight.

• PinkysBrain

Jul 21st 2010, 16:32

While I think Joseph Gordon-Levitt is a more than capable actor and would probably be a fine Riddler if given the role, I really think they should go with someone older for The Riddler. My first choice would be Jason Isaacs. Beyond him, I'd consider Paul Bettany or Guy Pearce. I just don't see The Riddler as a young villain. He should be late-30s to late-40s and seem both wise but crafty. As talented as JGL is, I think someone who is older would be more in line with how The Riddler tends to feel in the comics.

• MrSmith70

Jul 21st 2010, 16:42

JGL is a great actor but doesn't casting him seem a little too... obvious? With Ledger, before TDK every just knew him as 'one of the gay cowboys', and so was unexpectly brilliant casting, but JGL seems to all but have the gig in the bag, and if I know Nolan, which I don't, it all seems a little to clear for him. eh?

• MrSmith70

Jul 21st 2010, 16:44

Roll on Robin Williams!

• PinkysBrain

Jul 21st 2010, 22:11

It's kind of hard to do Nightwing without first doing Dick Grayson as Robin. Clayface doesn't seem like a viable candidate for Nolan's Batman. He's too much of a superhuman and Nolan has already shown that the villains in his Batman universe aren't really the superhumans we see in the comics. A shift to superhuman villains would likely feel completely out of place in the world Nolan has created already. If you take away those characters and the ones you mentioned, I could see doing Black Mask as a villain. That would fit with Nolan's universe and be something different from what Batman fans have seen before.

• Rusco87

Jul 22nd 2010, 0:05

@dalidab1982, you really want a twi-shi*e star in a Chris Nolan film, I hope everything you said was a joke. Catwoman is the only thing agreeable in what you said. Catwoman will not work with David Goyer and Chris' Batman. Robin has already been confirmed as a NO GO! watch extras on Batman Begins and Dark Knigh, READ YOUR TOTAL FILM INTERVIEWS, Chris, David, and Bale have all said, NEVER!!!! The riddler sounds like the most realistic choice. Other villans are too "superhuman" as PinysBrain says about Clayface. There is nothing superhuman about the riddler, just like the joker, and just like RAZ. Use JGL, awesome for the role(no green suit though)and make it the final of Nolans Batman with a Bang.

Jul 22nd 2010, 8:27

JGL would make a fantastic Riddler, but I am still holding out for Michael C Hall.

• Rusco87

Jul 22nd 2010, 9:41

Ali1748, I Think MCH is also a good choice. But if the character leads to be dark and mysterious, where no one actually knows who the riddler is we could just see another Dexter role from him here.

• Hamm88

Jul 22nd 2010, 12:33

LOUD NOISES!!

• clubboy

Jul 22nd 2010, 12:53

@PinkysBrain the people that you mentioned for the riddle are all good menacing actors who play villains well but they are too old as the whole point of the Riddler is that he is a genius who is the same age as batman and always trying to prove that he is smarted than batman by confusing him and creating moral and questionable puzzle for batman to try and navigate through, which makes him after the joker the perfect villain for Christopher Nolan's batman, so he needs to be younger or the same age as batman for it to be truly powerful @dalidab1982 dude fair enough nightwing is a much darker version of robin but he is still robin and Christopher Nolan has stated on multiple occasions that robin will never appear in his versions of batman as he seems robin as too unrealistic to fit into his realistic vision he has created, also if you introduce nightwing you would also explain where he came from, what drove him to it and what his motives are, which are common place in introducing a new hero

• rice36

Jul 22nd 2010, 19:26

Personally I think 'Batman Begins' is the best as it was something different. I think the best way to finish the series is to have an appearance from Talia al Ghul. This in some ways may be good for closing up the series, but can also act as a new love interest for Wayne. This does not stop Riddler being the villain and knowing the creative mind of Nolan there may be some ways in which the characters are intertwined within the plot. JGL is very talented, but reminds me too much of Heath Ledger in many ways. For Riddler I'd like to see Sam Rockwell, who is a superb talent and would add a lot to the role. Not sure who I would have to play Talia al Ghul - maybe Natalie Portman.

• MrMoo

Jul 22nd 2010, 20:45

I really do respect JGL as an actor. The only thing is I loved the shock of the choice of Heath Ledger as the Joker. So I think that maybe go for the unpredictable rather than the predictable.

• castaway666

Jul 23rd 2010, 16:04

@Hamm88, love it!!!! JGL great actor, I think we should investigate into the remaining villains that escaped Arkham in Batman Begins

• epattz

Jul 23rd 2010, 17:35

im a really big batman fan and this has just made my day i was always more of a fan of joker and had hoped that the next one would have harley in but i think that joseph gordon-levitt is a perfect choice ive been a fan of his since i was little as i always used to watch 3rd rock from the sun and his amazing performance in inception has just reinforced my view that he would make a brill riddler fab choice nolan!!!!

• danbullock

Jul 23rd 2010, 22:59

@dalidab1982 Firstly, the word is *introduce Anyway, let us all take a breather here, yes? It says he's *interested* not that he's taking it, not that he's involved and most of all, how do we even know this is a genuine find? That Nolan isn't doing what he's so good at and throwing us off the scent? More points, Nolan's Batman Universe will always be embedded in reality. You can forget certain characters and suggestions because it just won't happen. Simple as. The other problem Nolan has now because of his fame, his decisions won't be as 'shock' only because they were previously because he wasn't as known world-wide on such a scale and not only did TDK lift his status but with Inception, he's hit the stratosphere. The Black Mask was a good call a year or so ago as well, the Riddler could play a role, Catwoman included but all in different ways. Bizarrely, I liked the call of Lohan for that but I'm not sure she could ever pull it off. Whatever happens, I'm more than sure we'll know hardly anything until it's released, hell...it's not even started filming/final script work yet!

• Arkhaminmate001

Jul 24th 2010, 0:13

Yawn....Very Bad choice. Good actor but physically way to puny, and Riddler's a dull choice for an adversary. I'd expect Nolan to be wayyy more radical & left field...say 'Hush' or even a character of his own ( a rival vigalante would be cool) Disappointed with Inception -visually stunning but 'Meh' story - apart from Leonardo and Tom Hardy (Hardy would make an excellent villian for me) Hope the Nolan bros' get back on track with Batman 3, but personally i think the superhero bubble is about to burst big time!

• carl8to

Jul 24th 2010, 0:40

matthew lillard would be a superb riddler, to anyone who disagrees i say watch Dead mans curve- hes good, very, very good, oh and Eliza Dushku as HarleyQuinn, now its sorted get it made Nolan :)

• BooBoo1981

Jul 24th 2010, 1:20

I agree with Matthew Lillard or Micheal C. Hall as Riddler. But a new villian would be way cooler.

• adammiller2k

Jul 24th 2010, 3:40

just throwing this out there: mickey rouke as killer kroc...doesn't have to be superhuman, just a mentalist circus freak who eats people. it is dark enough for nolan plus cool enough for everyone

• Benmorse

Jul 24th 2010, 7:47

well, I've been saying JGL as Riddler since Dark Knight release weekend (find the threads if you don't believe me, anoraks!). To answer some other casting / character issues from this thread though: Michael C Hall would be incredible. Never thought of him, either. But great shout. Catwoman and Clayface would both be viable villains for the Bat franchise. Knowing Nolan loves a crazy (his obsession with the mind) a broken down actor who can make himself appear like other people could easily be adapted to his real-world Gotham as a master of disguise (just no one tell Dana Carvey). Similarly, with Batman on the outs, a new vigilante is needed. I've been saying Catwoman will have a minor role for ages now as well. Mathew Lillard is an under-rated actor (he's like the evil Ryan Reynolds) but limited. I think he'd be a bit too hammy for this. And Taylor Lautner? WOW. I'd have trouble deciding whether my brain or eyes took the knife first. What were you THINKING?

• Benmorse

Jul 24th 2010, 7:49

oh yeah, and you could totally do Nightwing. Throw in a reference to "we didn't really work out as a double act", and hint at arguments in the past, leads to a nice competitive dynamic. AND would solve the new vigilante problem I mentioned earlier.

• danbullock

Jul 24th 2010, 9:58

I like Lillard for his Scream, Dead Man's Curve days but I also agree...too hammy! Back in those old threads, I always like Giovanni Ribisi for that Riddler role, plus it would help him get his previously more impressive career together. (Post-Avatar) Anyway, we know nothing really. But these latter posts have held a lot more realism than OMG c**p Twilight Actors PLZ! ;)

• rob722

Jul 24th 2010, 12:19

Look whatever happens. Nolan is gonna rock Batman 3. And its gonna top Batman 1&2. This man has evolved into an incredible storyteller. After watching inception I actually think the Riddler will play apart. But it won't be the Riddler that we expect. This guy will be an edgy criminal master mind. I would not rule out Robin Williams making an appearance. He is very talented and Nolan respects him as an actor. Heres hoping Nolan throws Al Pacino a lifeline to save his flagging career. Can't rule out an appearance from Ra's al gul's daughter either. She may have the same drive that drove Bruce Wayne to avenge the loss of her parent. This is the last instalement after all. Maybe also the scarecrow might end up slightly twisted and deranged and make a more menacing appearance next time.

• bunior

Jul 24th 2010, 12:39

As much as I like JGL, I definitely see an older actor for the Riddler, and honestly think Sean Penn would be perfect. That is all.

• fl1xst3r

Jul 24th 2010, 19:54

batman cast from begins to dark knight and chris nolan has delivered a great performance from all cat members, heath (rip) played joker to a t, fantastic, got an oscar nomonation, say no more, nolan do your magic, make us proud buddy

• danbullock

Jul 25th 2010, 0:15

@dalidab1982 I'm now starting to believe you're on a bit of a wind-up so I'm leaving it be.

• Brianer

Jul 26th 2010, 0:04

hopefully robin shows up in the film but dies like a minute into it come on nolan do a bit of fan service lets see robin die

• Veyron8692

Jul 26th 2010, 11:30

i feel that the villains should be the riddler (played by either JGL or David Tennant) and Black Mask played by either Joaquin Pheonix, Ewan McGregor or possibly Orlando Bloom

• Jk323

Jul 27th 2010, 0:53

JGL would make a great Riddler, and agreeing with Veyron8692 Black Mask would also make a welcome casting. Although i dont fully agree with Robin, i think if he wasnt a superhero, rather played a gritty new young cop, that would work in christopher Nolans batman world.