Batman 3 wants Joseph Gordon-Levitt for The Riddler?

Talk about dream casting

Joseph Gordon-Levitt

Batman 3 could be about to land Joseph Gordon-Levitt as The Riddler, if internet blither-blather is to be believed.

While usually we like to have our rumours with a healthy side of concrete evidence (in a perfect world...), we just had to report this bit of Chinese whisperage in the hope that our words will actually make this come true.

Which smacks of “yeah, duh!” considering Gordon-Levitt has only just worked with series director Christopher Nolan on Inception. The fact that Gordon-Levitt was born to play this role also helps - it'd take a fool not to see it. And Nolan ain't no fool.

The sooner G-L gets cast and eradicates stupid rumours that Eddie Murphy is up for the role the happier we’ll be. But with David Goyer still working on his draft of the script, and a whole two years until the film makes it to screens, this is unlikely to get confirmed any time soon.

Still, we’ve done our bit. Now cast Gordon-Levitt already!

Batman 3 is set for release on 20 July 2012.

Source: [Hollywood Life]

Who’s with us on the G-L lovin’?

Total Film on Facebook

Comments

• ClockworkOwen17

Jun 10th 2010, 9:40

Still think it should be David Tennant.

• MattMaytum

Jun 10th 2010, 10:00

Hell yeah, J G-L would get my vote for this one too!

• BeckyM84

Jun 10th 2010, 11:29

Fingers crossed that this turns out to be true and that he gets the part.

• TheDRQ

Jun 10th 2010, 11:35

In Nolan's world of Batman, The Riddler is pretty much the only villian left that can be used. However does it really matter who plays him, Out of the three incarnations of on-screen Riddlers, two are just camp (with Jim Carrey's performance making camp actor look down right oscar worthy) and the other was the animated version, funny enough, that one being the best. All that matters really is that the character is played by a talented and skinny actor; So I have to say....PERFECT CHOICE

• garysimps

Jun 10th 2010, 13:17

A great choice but I'd still love to see Casey Affleck be given a shot; JGL would be a 2nd choice in my mind. Your thoughts?

• Rusco87

Jun 10th 2010, 13:32

ive always said to people that JGL would make a perfect sub for the joker, wth makeup and etc he has the same appearence of Heath, but not to be used as main character. but i have to agree that using him for the riddler seems alot better. with JGL being in inception maybe Chris has taken a shin to him

• mrgadd4

Jun 10th 2010, 14:49

He looks a bit young. I reckon they should cast that bloke in The Dark Knight who played 'Mr Reese' - mysteries!

• huntjo1

Jun 10th 2010, 16:40

I have always thought that Neil Patrick Harris is the perfect choice for the riddler and although J.G.L would still make an amazing job, I still have to side with my original decision for N.P.H

• madrox

Jun 10th 2010, 19:57

I said right after I saw "Dark Knight" that if they wanted the Joker back, Joeseph Gordon-Levitt would be a great choice. He'd probably make a good Riddler as well.

• jeffamania

Jun 10th 2010, 21:18

No 8. huntjo1 knows what he's talking about. Neil Patrick Harris is spot on!! Gordon-Levitt just looks too clean cut for me. The role requires someone with a certain look about him i.e. intelligence, asexual, menance and pomposity!!! N.P.H got my vote too!!

• cynick

Jun 11th 2010, 0:52

"the third (well, technically seventh) big screen adventure of the caped crusader" Eighth. Why does everyone forget the 1966 version?

• magnusbarfod

Jun 11th 2010, 0:53

Hey, TheDRQ... "In Nolan's world of Batman, The Riddler is pretty much the only villian left that can be used." Sorry, where did you get that pile of horses**t from? Villains left who would fit into Nolan's world perfectly include, alphabetically: Bane Black Mask Calender Man Catwoman Cluemaster Deadshot Firefly Harley Quinn (yes f*****g please...) The Penguin Poison Ivy The Ventriloquist Now, some of these are more attractive options than others, but the fact is, as Nolan showed us with Ra's al Ghul, The Joker, The Scarecrow and Two Face, he's more than capable of taking characters who may have at times been portrayed in lurid and unbelievable terms, and rebooted them for the real world aesthetic of his Gotham. To say that the Riddler is the only option left makes it look as if your knowledge of Batman goes no further than the films prior to Nolan's take on things.

• DanRose

Jun 11th 2010, 9:28

Don't try and be too clever magnusbardford. Nolan himself has already long since expressed scepticism about how The Penguin could work in his down-to-earth Bat universe. High horse get off. As for The Riddler I'd like to see Michael Fassenbender involved... he's got the manic grin for starters... but JGL is excellent choice.

• Nickey09

Jun 12th 2010, 4:18

All you have to do is watch the film "Brick" to know this is a well-thought-out choice. Very nice. I hope this is the case, and not just some rumor.

• Benmorse

Jun 12th 2010, 6:15

I was saying around when The Dark Knight was launched that I want JGL to play The Joker. In mannerism and appearance (under the caked makeup) he'd be a great fit to take up where Heath Ledger left off. From the end of Dark Knight, I'd assumed the plan was to use the Joker as a Hannibal Lecter style figure in part 3. It might all change now, but I'd still like to see it. Of course he'd be a great Riddler too, as would Casey Affleck.

• rice36

Jun 12th 2010, 9:54

I admire the work of JGl, but really his acting style is too similar to that of Heath Ledgers.

Jun 12th 2010, 16:58

I wanted Michael C Hall but I'd be fine with JGL.

• jem0013

Jun 14th 2010, 5:15

as long as it isn't eddie bloody murphy!!

• garysimps

Jun 14th 2010, 12:40

liking the fassbender call; as for doogie howser? get outta here!

• MorganGaliceno

Oct 12th 2010, 19:39

Oh God Yes Please!

• Boisv

Feb 2nd 2011, 18:48

"Hollywood Life have reported that Joseph Gordon-Levitt is “on the shortlist” to play The Riddler in the third (well, technically seventh) big screen adventure of the caped crusader." well, technically eighth But regardless, Riddler or not lets just hope they'll announce a villain that could actually carry the movie. Bane? Jesus Christ, Bane? Really? That can't possibly be what Nolan has planned to follow up the Joker. And as happy as I am about the announcement of Catwoman, she's only half a villain. The movie still needs it's main villain. The Riddler would be great, but I'm hoping for Mr Freeze.