Batman vs. Superman will film in Michigan in early 2014

While Zack Snyder justifies mass destruction in Man Of Steel

Zack Snyder’s Batman vs. Superman will begin filming in early 2014, with cameras set to roll in Michigan ahead of a 2015 release date.

The news comes courtesy of the Detroit Free Press, which reports that the production will net a welcome $35 million in tax incentives to shoot in and around the city, and other locations in the state.

Meanwhile, Zack Snyder has been addressing one of the criticisms of the first film, namely that Superman’s battles with Zod cost Metropolis a hell of a lot of collateral damage.

“I wanted the movie to have a mythological feeling,” says Snyder. “In ancient mythology, mass deaths are used to symbolize disasters."

"In other countries like Greece and Japan, myths were recounted through the generations, partly to answer unanswerable questions about death and violence.”

“In America, we don’t have that legacy of ancient mythology. Superman is probably the closest we get. It’s a way of recounting the myth.”

So now you know. It wasn’t just blowing things up for the sake of it after all! Batman vs. Superman is expected to arrive in the US on 17 July 2015.

What are you hoping to see from the sequel? Tell us, below!

Comments

• chibik

Aug 30th 2013, 7:15

Not exactly a compelling argument... but I'm not holding it against him. It seems I wasn't nearly as bothered about the collateral damage as everybody else.

• BobTheSkull

Aug 30th 2013, 8:37

Doesn't really matter what Snyder says, the haters are gonna tear him to shreds regardless. Justifying his own work just gives them more to throw back at him. Personally, I enjoyed MoS.

• mattburgess

Aug 30th 2013, 8:55

"I met a tasty baby in Michigan..."

• Benmorse

Aug 30th 2013, 9:17

Well seeing as we only really see 4 people get affected by the whole city being destroyed, that explanation is total garbage. It uncomfortably used 9/11 imagery to try and create gravitas, and looked cheap and exploitative doing it. Man, I hate that movie.

• apo1978

Aug 30th 2013, 10:53

Is it actually called Batman Vs.Superman now? GROAN. One word...REBOOT! I propose, "MAN OF REAL STEAL" or "THE MAN FROM KRYPTON". "KRYPTON MAN?" God I'm bored....

• illkillyoulast

Aug 30th 2013, 11:53

can superman fly around the world really fast and turn back time so we can recast batman?

• chibik

Aug 30th 2013, 11:59

I think the casting of Batman is the least of this sequel's worries, but I'll reserve judgment until I've seen the completed film. I'm only expecting to be mildly entertained by it, after all. Maybe they'll surprise me.

• GarthMarenghi

Aug 30th 2013, 14:22

I think someone needs to explain to him what 'symbolism' means. Every time he tries to sound clever he sounds like a dim-witted sixth former leafing manically leafing through a thesaurus.

• ilikescifi

Aug 30th 2013, 16:33

the destruction was quite shocking and it eroded any sympathy we might have for superman. It seriously looked like thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of people perished purely as a dramatic backdrop for his personal journey. I actually loved the first half of the film but the second half was insensitive hyperbole

Aug 30th 2013, 17:09

I just hope they use all the negativity about the mass destruction in MOS to their benefit in the sequel, have Batman and Luthor use the devastation as fuel to attack Superman verbally. Anyways Clark had only been Superman for about a day so it's not like he was experienced enough to lure Zod and co away from populated areas.

• pingpong

Aug 30th 2013, 17:19

Thousands were eradicated in Star Trek Into Darkness when they crash-landed the spaceship on earth and nobody cared.. Having said that with Supes in an epic battle i would have expected him to lure his enemy away from causing destruction and death. Flying to the Arctic or something, but not battering Zod through each and every building in Metropolis.

• marvelboy

Aug 30th 2013, 19:04

As Ali1748 pointed put Superman was/is young in this movie and therefore has not learnt about protecting the public fully yet, and yes I also see this being fuel for Batman and Lex - I too enjoyed this film, I went in with an open mind and got a decent enjoyable super hero film, I think to many people's expectations where to high after the Dark Knight Trilogy, but even that trilogy is not perfect, people have opinions but clearly MOS was good enough to warrant a squeal

• marvelboy

Aug 30th 2013, 19:05

PS. Oh @Apo1978 I to hope they chose a better name than Batman vs Superman, there needs to be some tie to MOS (ie subtitle). I still like my idea of Man Of Steel : Gods Among Us

• mathieudavid

Aug 30th 2013, 21:09

I think what a lot of folks seem to be missing out on here is just how dunderheaded Snyder's statement is. "Mass death symbolises disaster!" No, Zack, mass death literally IS a disaster! There is no symbolism involved. He is an idiot, pure and simple. No deeper meaning was intended - much like Michael Bay he just likes blowing s**t up, but Bay at least has the decency not to pretend he's going for any intellectual subtext with his carnage. Snyder is just desperately trying to downplay the situation after a lot of people were disappointed that such a noble and heroic character has been made 'relevant' by making him accidentally commit genocide. So he thinks "I made a movie about buff dudes in olden times t**tting the living s**t out of each other, that was like, totally mythological. I'll compare it to that!" They have no option but to make the next film about Batman coming to sort out this barmy alien who is murdering countless people and wrecking cities with his super powers, to teach him the error of his ways. Then they'll be able to say "See, it was all planned!".

• ilikescifi

Aug 31st 2013, 5:29

Ha mathieudavid good point, mass deaths IS a disaster. And a very sad one. Zero symbolism. If anything, the 'mass deaths' could be at the start / middle of the film so we feel some sense of resolution when the enemy is destroyed, as opposed to the mass deaths being a part of the resolution. But now I feel like I'm thinking about it too deeply

• nigellockett

Aug 31st 2013, 8:54

The point is Superman never harms the innocent and would have done anything to move the fight outside metropolis. MOS was trying to make Superman darker and realistic which is ok but at the core of the character is his main strength which is to do good - the is a reason why Batman calls him a Boy Scout . Even in Superman Returns there is a moment when the wing of the plane is torn off and falls, Singer took the time to have the cgi superman look for an instant to check the wing would not fall on the city. This is because Singer understood Superman, and I know his film had its faults. MOS was a good film and ok maybe the new superman was learning who he is, lets hope the next film will be able to use the darkness of Batman and probably Lex to allow Superman to be Superman.

• spid2411

Aug 31st 2013, 16:36

Think all this is a load of s**te anyway - Man of Steel was a good movie for one half (the bit Nolan clearly wrote) before it turned into the b******t last half of The Avengers where lots of silly CGI fights and explosions ruined what went before (the audience went from being treated as intelligent in the first half to a bunch of gibbering imbeciles - found it offensive actually at just how childish it became). Shame because if they had made a good job of MoS then they could easily have followed the Batman formula for a compelling trilogy (intellectual nemesis in the sequel via Lex Luther and Brainiac and physical threat in the last one with Doomsday). Instead, they look to the Avengers and decide to make a load of childish s**te like that just to make more money. Wont be seeing it.

Aug 31st 2013, 20:12

Nolan didn't write Man of Steel he was only the producer.

• vincevega

Sep 2nd 2013, 13:55

********* ignoring all spid2411 posts *********

• spid2411

Sep 3rd 2013, 12:09

man, that hurts...

• Trickycustomer

Sep 4th 2013, 14:47

It's funny how there was an actual batman/superman movie billboard in I am legend.