Ben Affleck talks Batman

“The idea is to redefine him”

Ben Affleck has commented on his casting as Batman in a lengthy interview with Playboy magazine, in which he explains that his version of the character will not attempt to compete with Christian Bale’s.

“I don’t want to give away too much, but the idea for the new Batman is to redefine him in a way that doesn’t compete with Bale and Christopher Nolan's Batman but still exists within the Batman canon,” says Affleck.

“It will be an older and wiser version, particularly as he relates to Henry Cavill’s Superman character.” Intriguingly however, it wasn’t initially a character that floated Affleck’s boat…

“When they asked if I would be Batman, I told them I don’t see myself in the role and I was going to have to beg off,” says the star, before revealing that it was Zack Snyder and David S. Goyer who won him around.

“They said I’d fit well into how they were going to approach the character and asked me to look at what the writer-director, Zack Snyder, was doing. The stuff was incredible. It was a unique take on Batman that was still consistent with the mythology.”

Colour us excited. Batman vs. Superman will open in the US on 17 July 2015.

What do you make of Affleck's comments? Tell us, below!

Comments

Dec 4th 2013, 11:54

In Ben Affleck I trust!

• firas76

Dec 4th 2013, 13:40

I trust Ben Affleck fully, I just want a a total bad-a*s story line like in Hush with a dark hand playing Super-villains from the shadows and there is also Green Arrow around and Superman having his hide handed out to him by both Batman and Poison Ivy. It shows everything likable in both Batman [paranoia, darkness, loneliness and wits to match Man of Steal] Superman we see [The all good American all good doer... etc] Whats not to like and never to forget Talia Al Gaul

• firas76

Dec 4th 2013, 13:44

Or one of Kevin Smith's comics they were amazing as it shows the emotional scars of Batman

• batt101

Dec 4th 2013, 15:39

Still not buying it, like MOS this is going to be a disaster!

Dec 4th 2013, 16:42

Man of Steel was a success, it's still one of my top favorite movies of the year.

Dec 4th 2013, 17:55

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!!! Gal Gadot is Wonder Woman. She'll be appearing in Man of Steel 2: Batman vs. Superman: Aka Warner Bros throwing all their eggs into one basket.

• SiMan

Dec 5th 2013, 14:09

I think Affleck is a good choice to play Batman, however i re-watched MoS the other day and my god it is dull. The tone if it is horrible for the character it is supposed to be about. They tried to emulate Nolan's Batman, which was a suitable tone for that character, too much. Superman is supposed to be about hope. His comics have never been dark and brooding. The colour scheme was too dull as well - i just had issues with the film as a whole. So wish they'd have adapted the Superman Birthright graphic novel.