Benedict Cumberbatch talks making The Hobbit

Sherlock star says LOTR prequel will be amazing

Benedict Cumberbatch recently spoke to MTV about his work on upcoming Middle-earth epic The Hobbit.

Talking from Elton John's Oscar-viewing party (alright for some: we just watched the ceremony in our lounge with an industrial-sized vat of tea), he spoke about the technical process involved in playing a dragon, and his relationship with the cast and crew.

On his Hobbit experience, Sherlock star Cumberbatch said, "I was very lucky [to work] with Pete [Jackson]."

"As far as the experience, what an extraordinary one it was because at the time I was in my work, I was in isolation with him and this incredible tag team. And at the very cool place with that technology doing mo-cap for two characters, Smaug the dragon and another character, which will remain nameless, and it was an awful lot of fun."

"It's a sort of wonderful ongoing process," he added. "I spent a lot of time recording voice as well as doing movements. So, it was sort of freeing; it was fun. It was like playing a game.

"It's going to be an amazing film; it's going to be a real treat. I watched The Lord Of The Rings again before I started working, and the way those films grow in depth of craft on every level are extraordinary. Their mark is for that."

And on working with his Sherlock co-star Martin Freeman (who plays Bilbo), Cumberbatch said: "It was great. I got to hang out with him, and I kept a straight face for a bit and then I started giggling because I know Martin, I don't know Bilbo.

"For Martin to be sitting there playing Bilbo is amazing. He's going to be amazing, he's going to be fantastic in this film."

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey opens on 14 December 2012. We're possibly even more excited about it than Cumberbatch is.

Do you think we'll have to wait until Part 2 of The Hobbit to get a look at Cumberbatch's Smaug? Hazard a guess below...

Comments

• albongo

Mar 4th 2012, 18:37

I would like to set the record Straight about The Hobbit. It is not, and I mean not a prequel. A prequel is a story conceived after the original had already been written or released. Such X-Men: First Class. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is in fact an adaptation of the J.R.R. Tolkien book, The Hobbit. I think it is important that the audience, who these days is flooded with prequels by Hollywood, understands the difference. I think it is important that totalfilm.com recognises that difference as well. Having that...I can't wait to see it!

• Primogen16

Mar 4th 2012, 20:20

Actually, later editions of The Hobbit might rightly be considered prequels, because after writing LOTR, Tolkien revised portions of The Hobbit to better tie in with his later work, Certainly the film adaption of The Hobbit can certainly be considered a prequel to the film version of LOTR.

Mar 4th 2012, 20:46

The second movie will be a sort of be a prequel to LOTR, Jackson has already made that clear.

• albongo

Mar 4th 2012, 21:48

What's LOTR? I have heard of Lord of the Rings but never of LOTR. Don't be like lazy teenagers, write the whole title. You are taking the time to write a bloody paragraph after all.

• Primogen16

Mar 4th 2012, 23:29

Ali1748, Jackson changed his mind on that some time ago. Instead, he will tell the story of The Hobbit across the two films. albongo, I've seen LOTR used as an abbreviation for Lord of the Rings since, oh, before you were born.

• badger86

Mar 5th 2012, 1:06

@albongo - It's called an acronym, or if you prefer, an initialism. It is a perfectly legitimate way of writing lord of the ring's. Especially within the context of a comments board. Why are you being so tetchy? Is it because @primogen16 kicked that soapbox out from under your feet?

Mar 5th 2012, 14:28

Hence why I said sort of, The Hobbit will be split in two but there is also going to be material from Tolkien's world in the second movie, like what Gandalf gets up to with the White Council.

• FBJRider

Mar 5th 2012, 17:16

@albongo. This is totalfilm.com, a website dedicated to FILM news. The Hobbit films are prequels to The Lord of The Rings films. The Hobbit books are not prequels. When the films are referred to as prequels it is correct.

• Toph80

Mar 7th 2012, 4:30

Awww bless Alnongo, did mummy forget to feed you your bottle.... Why so ruddy tetchy I for one Can not WAIT to see the films. Been keeping up tot date where possible with Jackson's video blog and it is looking good. As for what Smaug is going to look like, I don't think we'll be disappointed, esp as the films are as they should have been from he start in the safe hands of the ONLY person that could do them properly. As for the second character that Cumberbatch is playing, isn't that the Necromancer??? Pretty sure I heard somewhere that he was lined up to play that as well as Smaug.

• FBMArellano

Mar 9th 2012, 14:52

Of the movies based on books that will come this year, like Cosmopolis, Hungergames, John Carter the only one that we can trust will be great is the Hobbit. Most of the time I avoid films adaptations of books since they tend to change a lot (just watchinbg the trailers you can see what they have changed in the other movies and how crappy the acting looks) and latetly there have been a lot of bad movie adaptations, (water for elephants, I am number four, twilight, golden compass, lemony snicket, percy jackson) but for the Hobbit I think we can expect a good movie. For the other I will read the reviews and comments first, for the Hobbit I'll be there for the Premier.

• FBMArellano