Bill Murray shreds Ghostbusters 3 script

Destroys his copy and mails it back to Dan Aykroyd

Anyone hoping to see the old Ghostbusters lineup reunited for Dan Aykroyd’s tortured sequel might be waiting a long time, as Bill Murray appears to have ruled out a return once and for all.

According to TheNational Enquirer, Murray had been sent the latest version of a script for Ghostbusters 3, co-written by original stars Aykroyd and Harold Ramis. However, his reaction wasn’t exactly favourable.

Murray reportedly shredded the script, re-packaged it and mailed it back to Aykroyd and Ramis along with the following note: “No-one wants to pay money to see fat, old men chasing ghosts.”

Murray’s decision would represent a significant blow to Aykroyd’s hopes of getting this one off the ground. Sigourney Weaver had recently expressed an interest in returning to the cast, but only on the proviso that Murray was in place to play Venkman.

However, Aykroyd seems hell bent on delivering a third Ghostbusters movie, so we doubt he’ll be giving up just yet…

Should Dan just knock this one on the head now? Or do you want to see round three? Let us know, below.

Comments

• CaptainCrazy

Dec 21st 2011, 12:17

I want to see Ghostbuster 3 just to get the taste of part 2 out of my mouth. Amongst other things... Murray you grumpy old b*****d - cheer up.

• Siban1982

Dec 21st 2011, 12:25

I don't believe this story. Seems very unlikely that Murray would do such a thing to co-stars who are just trying their best to get a sequel up and running. Plus if he did do this, not only would it be a great slap in the face to Akroyd and Ramis but why would they now continue to write Venkman into the story after what Murray has done? Chinese whispers me thinks.

• murphy

Dec 21st 2011, 12:34

Since when was The National Enquirer a credible source of information?

Dec 21st 2011, 12:43

More likely he shredded the National Enquirer and sent it back to those vultures...

• badger86

Dec 21st 2011, 14:02

I read it on i09 the other day, they were sensible enough to suggest readers take the news with a pinch of salt. To be fair i really have little interest in a third film, the chances of it being good are incredibly slim imo. I'd rather it just not go any further.

• AvatarIII

Dec 21st 2011, 14:29

“No-one wants to pay money to see fat, old men chasing ghosts.” yes we do Bill, that's exactly what we want to see.

• SussexUK

Dec 21st 2011, 14:34

Are we really that bothered? What age group is this going to be aimed at? Okay us oldies will want to see it to compare it to the original and of course it won't be as good.. to us, but its not us the film will be aimed at but the new younger audience and will they be bothered Murray isn't in it? Well the answer is... "who is bill murray?" kids today won't know or really care. Get Aykroyd and Ramis to kick the movie off then pass it over (which they obviously will) to the new younger team. Once the movie makes millions Murray will be on the phone asking when number 4 will be made as he has a slot in his diary and might be able to make an appearance.

• joker16

Dec 21st 2011, 14:57

I love Murray, especially is this is true of course. He's one of the few people who won't sell out to make a quick buck.

• JohnJDuffy

Dec 21st 2011, 15:01

No because Garfield was a f'n masterpiece

• YorksProp

Dec 21st 2011, 15:56

@JohnJDuffy I've been reading this website for a few years now and been intending to join for a while, but you're comment was the one that finally made it happen, tikaboo son! Hilarious!

• joker16

Dec 21st 2011, 15:58

@JohnJDuffy I stand corrected.

• anant

Dec 21st 2011, 17:19

i still like murray! he himself said in zombieland garfield was a regret! hilarious cameo though!

• chrisware2012

Dec 21st 2011, 17:51

what a a*s e cause do we want to see fat guys chasing after ghosts got anything better to do bill i mean come on it is'nt ghostbusters without you im 27 years old this was the first film i ever watched and there are a billion more people that want to see bill f***ing and they expect it now more than every because of your stunt at the scream awards last year please just do 1 more please get it over and done with treat it like a plaster tear it of fast and have done with it please venkman we need you 1 more go around please

• Murphy0806

Dec 21st 2011, 18:24

Punctuate dude!

• mazinger0192

Dec 21st 2011, 19:55

ghostbusters 3, they should make a remake, with, jhonny deep as vekman, oliver platt as ray, , a much darker ghostbusters, but with the old cast dont seem that will work.

• Heisenberg

Dec 21st 2011, 20:18

I'm with @TFM on this, no remaking of the original. Just, no.

• marc96

Dec 21st 2011, 22:01

my heart crys out for a 3rd movie whilst my head screams NNOOOOOO !!

• Animalrocks84

Dec 21st 2011, 23:40

Your a damn fool Bill.

• SiMan

Dec 21st 2011, 23:53

Can i be a bit controversial and sugget that Ackroyd, Ramis and Murray step aside and let someone else have a crack at this. Not talking a remake, you could still have a sequel, but weren't those 3 part of the up and coming comedy crowd of the 80's. Maybe they should hand the reigns over to the next generation and just all take smaller parts in it?

• writerdave87

Dec 22nd 2011, 0:26

JohnJDuffy wins comment of the year award :p Much as I like Murray I doubt this is true, but I could imagine him turning the 3rd film down. Like SiMan I actually quite like the idea of a new set of films with a new cast (I for one would love to see what Segal/Rogen/Baruchel etc would do with it, but I KNOW I'll be flamed for that), but I wouldn't want to see Aykroyd or Ramis or even Murray creaking around chasing ghosts nowadays.

• writerdave87

Dec 22nd 2011, 20:49

Can you seriously not just take the hint and GTFO?

Dec 22nd 2011, 23:31

Bill I agree with you.

• PageMcKilnley

Dec 29th 2011, 2:52

The title of this piece made me laugh out loud at what is now approaching 03:00 am in the UK. Sadly, without Murray it's over. And even with it may simply be too late for such frippery.

• cehas

Jan 2nd 2012, 4:22

As much as I love the series, I think they should just skip it. They're too old, and the GB vibe is gone, it should've been done 20 years ago.

• alexr

Jan 6th 2012, 13:50

@SiMan @writerdave87 Agree with you both (in principle) about having a new set of actors taking over the reigns from the 'old guard', but I'd still like to see Ramis/Aykroyd/Hudson/Murray involved in a mentoring capacity. Always thought that doing a 2 part Ghostbusters movie would be a great send off. (WARNING: Dalidab-esque fantasy incoming!) I once wrote a synopsis for a story involving the original Ghostbusters realising they are getting too old and recruiting a new, younger team to take their place. Everything works out well, until the 'new Ghostbusters' (see what I did there?!) take things too casually and end up getting themselves killed saving the day. However, they are then resurrected as undead Ghostbusters, taking on the forms of the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse and the original team have to come out of retirement to defeat their evil dead proteges using science, experience, and sheer sarcastic wit. And at no point do Slimer, Janine or Lewis Tully appear... (Let the insults commence...)

• FBNFrankis

Feb 20th 2012, 13:02

I love Ghostbusters. when i went to New York last year the first place i wanted to go to was 55 Central Park West. When Bill Murray said 'who wants to see fat guys chasing ghosts?' i felt it was a slightly odd thing to say......i didn't see one buff six pack showing Ghost Buster in the first two films. Smoking, twinkie eating identifiable characters that resonate through my love of the film. It was the second film i bought my kids (the first was Goonies). Of course we want to see fat guys chasing ghosts, it's the characters, story line, effects, humour and general coolness of seeing a proton pack again that hold together the fabric of the film. Not some young chisled actor who will ruin the film. The last thing i want to see is Justin Bieber as Oscar......i almost chocked when i heard the rumour he might have played Marti Mcfly......so c'mon Bill, enjoy the fact the film has a loyalty through at least two generations and that people will still pay over inflated cinema prices to see characters that have a special place in a lot of peoples movie loving hearts.