Black Widow will not appear in Iron Man 3

Scarlett Johansson contradicts casting announcement

Iron Man 3 might be adding new acting talent to its ranks left right and centre, but according to Scarlett Johansson, Black Widow will not be among the characters returning from the previous film.

The star revealed to Screen Rant that her character would not be appearing in Shane Black’s upcoming threequel, but not before revealing her desire to star in a solo Black Widow movie.

“I think that you build this kind of character in the hope that the fans are like, ‘we want more,’” says Johansson. “I personally think there’s an awesome Black Widow movie in there. A kind of Bourne film that would take the whole comic-book genre in a completely different direction. It’d be awesome.”

“I’ve spoken to Marvel about it and Kevin Feige,” she continues, “and there’s so much story to draw from, I think it’d be totally awesome. But do I want to spend another three months shedding the manatee skin and squeezing back into that suit? Not necessarily, but it’s all worth it in the end!”

Having been left on the sidelines to a certain extent in Iron Man 2, Black Widow really comes into her own in The Avengers, with several killer scenes keeping her at the heart of the action. If Marvel were to green light her own spin-off, perhaps in tandem with a Hawkeye storyline, we’d certainly think it worth a punt…

The Avengers opens in the UK on Thursday, with Iron Man 3 set to arrive on 3 May 2013.

Would you go and see a Black Widow spin-off? Tell us, below...

Comments

• EddieFelson

Apr 25th 2012, 9:18

Black Widow movie hmmm no thanks, she should stick to popping up in other Marvel films looking amazing and scissor kicking all over the place!

Apr 25th 2012, 9:33

Once you get beyond the looks, she isn't that great an actress

• FBTNetto

Apr 25th 2012, 9:42

I always liked Black Widow. Unfortunately I cant say the same with Johansson playing the character

• gjessup19

Apr 25th 2012, 10:28

[Insert generic misogynistic comment here about how she looks good but, a woman? With her own Marvel spin-off? Whaaaaat!?] O_o Personally I think she'd be great. Hawk-Eye seems a bit meh to me in comparison to Iron Man, Thor etc, so I'd like to see more of Black Widow rather than him. If only Christopher Nolan would do a Catwoman 'spin-off', but alas, I think that's just a little unlikely :( and I say that before Bats has even come out, I must be mad!

• FBMBurgess

Apr 25th 2012, 11:50

I'm pleased about this. I don't think that, just because she was in Iron Man 2, she should be in the sequel. Let's start mixing these people up a bit. Perhaps a Hawkeye cameo in Iron Man 3? Once you establish that they are in the same universe, and that they have ready access to each other, you can't just ignore it anymore. They'd have to have a pretty good reason not to contact Shield or each other when they get into a life or death situation.

• ARantingAtheist

Apr 25th 2012, 16:52

I think a Black Widow film could potentially be pretty awesome in the right hands, and who wouldn't want to see 2 hours of Scarlett Johansson in a skin tight leather cat-suit come on?!

Apr 25th 2012, 19:22

I don't want more and there isn't a great movie to be made from The Black Widow..........well not a mainstream one Hi-Oh.