Bond 23 to be called Skyfall?

Internet land grab may give away title

James Bond will return in Skyfall...

Really? Well, that's the buzz since brand protection agents working for Sony Pictures started buying up any virtual real estate that ties in with that title.

Everything from jamesbond-skyfall.com to skyfall-themovie.net has been registered recently to stop people trading on that name.

The first purchase came in mid-August, when SonyPictures.com domain name services bought Sky-FallMovie.com and other web addresses with the word Skyfall in them.

Online speculation suggests that ties in with the point MGM and Sony may have finalised a name, with Daniel Craig only confirming a title exists in the past month.

What seems out of place from the recent run of movies is any connection to Ian Fleming's novels or other references to the author's life.

However, until EON, MGM or Sony announces the official title (or Craig lets it slip), this is the closest proof we have of Bond 23's moniker.

Is this an amazing attempt to obscure the real title? Or will we be watching James Bond return in Skyfall come 26 October 2012? Post you thoughts below.

Comments

• writerdave87

Oct 6th 2011, 0:01

shame, 'Bond 23' was starting to grow on me.

• 5thghostbuster

Oct 6th 2011, 0:09

I really hope that's not true.

• 5thghostbuster

Oct 6th 2011, 0:19

I mean about Skyfall, not Bond 23 growing on you @writerdave87 :)

• abberline

Oct 6th 2011, 0:28

sounds more like a video game title, or, even worse, a sequel to skyline (god,just writing that last bit made me shudder. . .)

Oct 6th 2011, 1:09

I thought it was going to be called Carte Blanche after the novel, got a nicer ring to it than Skyfall, which sounds something out of Dragon Age, a dwarven village mayhaps...

• writerdave87

Oct 6th 2011, 1:53

It's true damnit! Bond 23 WAS growing on me! Why won't you believe me ghostbuster? :p

• badger86

Oct 6th 2011, 2:37

I don't mind it. 007 - SkyFall i can imagine a very cool minimalistic poster. Carte Blanch is more of a dull thud rather than a ring to my ears. Not even pleasant to say. We still don't know 100% that this is the title, perhaps it's part of the marketing, something integral to the plot which could become some sort of viral campaign.

• alexr

Oct 6th 2011, 7:47

This is probably a bit of misdirection to make fans believe a lie - the actual title will be something like "007 - Licence to Print Money" or some such...

• FBSDhondt

Oct 6th 2011, 9:59

Moneyball was taken, Skyfall is the logical next step. dunno, has a ring to it - can't wait to hear Adèle sing it.

• Krooshlash

Oct 6th 2011, 10:05

I think it's ridiculous how people get so worked up about a title to a movie. Does it really matter? I can only imagine what peoples' reaction when they heard the reboot of the Bond series was going to be titled "Goldeneye" and turned out to be pretty damn good. For the record, I think this title is quite good but ultimately it doesnt mean much, it's about what kind of film is produced. Some of the fanboy nitpicking on these forums is truly pathetic.

• badger86

Oct 6th 2011, 11:43

Krooshlash - Exactly what do you expect? your on the comments board of a movie website, reading comments in response to a movie title...it's not nitpicking, it's opinion. If you don't want to read then don't.

• deanishbacon

Oct 6th 2011, 12:47

Surely all directors, producers, writers, etc know by now that they should run all their major decisions past dalidab first...

• alexr

Oct 6th 2011, 14:35

If they did that, we'd have an emo 007 played by Adam Lambert: "In a world where the suave and sophisticated are being rounded up and deported to Brighton, one government agent makes a stand. Hiding behind a brilliant new disguise, the new 007 is hanging up the tuxedo and taking to the battle with a tub of Fudge hair wax and a tube of aqua-glide - fighting to stay one step ahead of the colour-by-numbers henchmen and the vivacious femme fatales - giving up Vodka Martinis in favour of a Cheeky Vimto - He is Bond, Emo-Bond. Watch your back..."

• writerdave87

Oct 6th 2011, 15:07

Yeah and the bond girl would be Dylan Sprouse.

• ChrisWootton

Oct 6th 2011, 16:10

I don't care what it's called.. just make it already!

• Bajumeru

Oct 6th 2011, 21:19

@abberline: Yeah, I totally agree. The title sounds okay, in and of itself, but doesn't really fit a James Bond movie :-/ I hope that won't be the official title...

• FBDMakwana

Oct 7th 2011, 3:48

Skyfall is not a bad title for a Bond movie. If that one does not work; I suggest my very clever "Datekill" or "Mirrors Can't Lie"......I have many more but I have to charge a fee! Best Wishes, DINESH R MAKWANA (DREAMWORDS AND INORBITS)

• FBBStuder

Oct 7th 2011, 11:32

What if this was a planned hoax to lead us on a false trail? The article sugegsts it, and personally, I could see Carte Blanche, or a similar title with that kind of panache, especially after the previous film's title 'Quantum of Solace' where personally I only understood 'of' in it... The Franchise has gone quite exoitic in its research for titles, if you ask me, having gone through a phase of evil project names (goldeneye, thunderball,...), the baddies themselves (the man with the golden gun, dr. no, the spy who loved me), cliché phrases (the world is not enough, die another day, from Russia with love, license to kill, living daylights) and seems to be in a phase of researched, unusual titles (Casino Royale -a French structure- Quantum of Solace -two out three words being unknown to a wider audience). Perhaps are they going to continue with that style? But it seems as though three things are to be considered here: 1/ They're moving away from the books more and more, so perhaps we mistake ourselves in looking into Ian Fleming's titles of books (Carte Blanche, notably mentioned above) 2/ The narrative of Bond has changed, as an effect of the reboot. We're now back to 007's roots (Casino Royale giving him his '00' status and the license to kill, and Quantum of Solace his first mission after Vesper, his love interest) and Carte Blanche would seem a nice plot to give the new film. The agent is allowed to do what he wants. Perhaps Carte Blanche is codenamed 'Skyfall' within MI5? 3/ It's not the first time that a film has been given a 'working title'... Hancock was known as 'Tonight, He Comes', A Clockwork Orange as A Chocolate Orange, The Dark Knight was aka 'Rory's First Kiss', and Batman Begins was 'The Intimidation Game', Return of the Jedi was 'A Blue Harvest', Psycho 'Wimpy' and so on... Could Bond 23, title of which as yet unknown, be working under the title of 'Skyfall' and has leaked out, or maybe it's another film that's using that name and Bond 23 is actually working under another film's name? One thing is for sure, production companies do the best they can to keep things under wraps... Or they control what goes out, like the video diaries of The Hobbit.

• FBBStuder

Oct 7th 2011, 11:33

Darn. It lost all my formatting.

• lukeworm100

Oct 17th 2011, 20:25

Good title actually, its quite the enigma, it draws you in and I wonder what it will be like, hopefully more of a treat for the eyes than quantum of solace was because that just lost the plot for Daniel Craig's Bond, it was too revenge driven to be as classy as Bond should be.