Bryan Singer’s Excalibur remake canned

Warner Bros. favours another King Arthur film

As a fan of John Boorman’s bloody epic Excalibur, TF was interested to see what a modern-day retelling of the King Arthur legend would look like.

Sadly, Bryan Singer’s update of the 1981 film has been shelved by Warner Bros. in favour of a different Arthurian tale.

“Yeah, unfortunately it is no longer going to happen,” Singer told SFX at the annual Sitges Film Festival. “I was really enthused to do it. I’m a fan of John Boorman’s movie and it was my intention to get it going after Jack The Giant Killer was completed.”

“The project was with Warner Bros and what happened is that another King Arthur project was brought to them during that time. Basically, it was just more ready to go into production than ours was. That is why our version of Excalibur ended up being negated.”

Singer isn't letting the disappointment get to him, mind.

“When that happened, it allowed me to go straight into developing Battlestar Galactica - which I think will be really exciting.”

Sad we won't see this particular sword pulled from the stone? Or should Singer leave the 1981 movie well alone? Head below and tell us what you think.

Comments

• lukeworm100

Oct 17th 2011, 20:17

It is a shame there will be no Excalibur remake just yet, I think Bryan would have made a brilliant director for something like this, the opportunities would be limitless for him.

• Indianabones

Oct 17th 2011, 21:01

I really don't think it needs a remake, its a good film, a bit hammy but my favourite Arthur film. effects are fine, story is fine, acting is good (once again a lil hammy at times) what really needs improving on it? With all remakes if they can't add something different or improve it, leave well alone

• TheEnigma

Oct 18th 2011, 9:09

There needz 2 b a big blockbuster retelling of tha arthurian legend... If i was a studio Exec. I would employ screenwriterz 2 adapt all tha most famous arthurian Talez n2 a series of connecting Moviez, in a Lord Of Tha Ringz fashion...! (just my 2centz)...

• Frankie88

Oct 18th 2011, 11:11

I'm behind Warner Bros. on this one, because Guy Ritchie can easily get a great ensemble of British actors(ess) in his movie and, of course, the fact that Singers wants to remake the1981 movie, whereas Guy probably going to make an Excalibur movie of his own.

• SiMan

Oct 18th 2011, 11:25

Lets just hope his Battlestar plans also fall through - the recent tv show was amazing. No need to do another version.

• ChrisWootton

Oct 18th 2011, 12:44

Excalibur was awesome, but of it's time. If they are going to do another Arthur movie then it has to be filming the trilogy of books by Bernard Cornwell.. They'd be fantastic

Oct 18th 2011, 14:44

Seeing how First Knight was shyte, IM not getting my hopes up, not to mention Clive Owen as King Arthur and (get this?) Keira Knightly as a Chelsea-speaking warrior princess(!) HAhhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahaahahahaha! Shes rubbish!

Oct 18th 2011, 20:49

Singer needs to make X-Men IV already.